Why do people get vaccines? Don't they research the ingredients?

"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Well and good, but while you're sitting on your butt discussing scientific method and your mother is somehow disproving your quantum mechanics, some dickhead's just gone and made another 400k followers after tweeting that avocados cause haemorrhoids.

It's true. There's even logical rationale behind the theory:

Avacado's Number (6.022 × 10^23)is such a large number that it causes people's math sphincter to pucker up. As they digest more story problems, this leafs them in a pickle as there is no way for the solution to emerge. While some people soy this isn't a big dill, as people can immunize their sphincter with wax beans, anti-Waxers are skeptical, and think a simple life style change is enough, chanting "No Grain, No Pain"

That was a vegetable maizterpiece of raisin.

To the topic generally at hand, it's not about Science having all the answers, to everything, because it doesn't. It's about having the sense to judge when Science does have the best fit current answer to a particular problem, or part of a larger problem.

It's all-or-nothing thinking on both "sides" that is a problem. Rejecting Science altogether is foolish and inexcusable when it harms others through easily preventable actions such as not vaccinating. Believing that Science has all the answers is also foolish, as much wisdom is traditional, local, and as effective, if not more, than answers deduced by the scientific method, or necessarily able to be measured for statistical analysis.

Epidemics seem to go with lots of people living in close quarters. The kinds of traditional wisdom that people who go full white tofu warrior like to cite are from small, tribal, often nomadic societies, many of whom would have been glad of vaccination perhaps when invaded during the Colonial era.

The first account of an epidemic I could find was the Plague of Athens:

"
Sparta and its allies, with the exception of Corinth, were almost exclusively land based powers, able to summon large land armies that were very nearly unbeatable. Under the direction of Pericles, the Athenians pursued a policy of retreat within the city walls of Athens, relying on Athenian maritime supremacy for supply while the superior Athenian navy harassed Spartan troop movements. Unfortunately the strategy also resulted in adding many people from the countryside to an already well-populated city, introducing a severe crowding factor as well as resource shortages. Due to the close quarters and poor hygiene exhibited at that time Athens became a breeding ground for disease and many citizens died including Pericles, his wife, and his sons Paralus and Xanthippus. In the history of epidemics the 'Plague' of Athens is remarkable for its one-sided affliction and bias on the ultimate outcome of a war.

In his History of the Peloponnesian War the historian Thucydides, who was present and contracted the disease himself and survived, describes the epidemic. He writes of a disease coming from Ethiopia and passing through Egypt and Libya into the Greek world—a plague so severe and deadly that no one could recall anywhere its like, and physicians ignorant of its nature not only were helpless but themselves died the fastest, having had the most contact with the sick. In overcrowded Athens, the disease killed an estimated 25% of the population. The sight of the burning funeral pyres of Athens caused the Spartans to withdraw their troops being unwilling to risk contact with the diseased enemy. Many of Athens' infantry and expert seamen died, as well as their general Pericles. After the death of Pericles, Athens was led by a succession of leaders Thucydides described as incompetent or weak. According to Thucydides, not until 415 BC had Athens recovered sufficiently to mount a major offensive, the disastrous Sicilian Expedition.

Not sure that mish mashing "traditional wisdom" really works for infectious diseases.

Last edited by erdelyii on Nov 23, 2018, 4:46:20 AM
"
erdelyii wrote:

To the topic generally at hand, it's not about Science having all the answers, to everything, because it doesn't. It's about having the sense to judge when Science does have the best fit current answer to a particular problem, or part of a larger problem.

It's all-or-nothing thinking on both "sides" that is a problem. Rejecting Science altogether is foolish and inexcusable when it harms others through easily preventable actions such as not vaccinating. Believing that Science has all the answers is also foolish, as much wisdom is traditional, local, and as effective, if not more, than answers deduced by the scientific method, or necessarily able to be measured for statistical analysis.

Which questions cannot be answered by the scientific method, eventually?
"
rojimboo wrote:

Well, I could be poetic and say "what is love"?
I could say that the certainty of science (or how it speaks and is interpreted) is problematic for anything to do with the human mind.
I don't think we will understand our own minds through Science.

On a practical level we can't, ethically. The gold standard is Randomized controlled design experiment.

So, we will never - unless we start experimenting this way on human beings again - have answers to a great many questions.

Good Cracked article on some crazy questions Science still doesn't have answers for

Why ice is slippery? Who the fuck knows.

I mean, go ahead and investigate, by all means, but keep an open mind, eh, Science?

Last edited by erdelyii on Nov 23, 2018, 5:15:09 AM
"
erdelyii wrote:
"
rojimboo wrote:

Well, I could be poetic and say "what is love"?

On a practical level we can't, ethically. The gold standard is Randomized controlled design experiment.

So, we will never - unless we start experimenting this way on human beings again - have answers to a great many questions.

Good Cracked article on some crazy questions Science still doesn't have answers for

Why ice is slippery? Who the fuck knows.

I mean, go ahead and investigate, by all means, but keep an open mind, eh, Science?

I think some of those questions will have already been answered with some theories so far, or will be in the near future.

My point was actually, that the method itself, which relies on disproving theories until enough corroborating evidence and lack of rebuttals, and eventually time, has amassed, will eventually find out everything. It's an inevitable outcome.

You of course are now venturing deep into philosophical territory, and indeed nothing science can produce, will ever be called 'absolute truth', because by the very nature of observation, we have altered the properties of the universe. It is an imperfect, impure truth, tainted by our limited minds.

But I mean, come on. It's by far the best we've got, and we are (exponentially) getting better at it.

"

I could say that the certainty of science (or how it speaks and is interpreted) is problematic for anything to do with the human mind.
I don't think we will understand our own minds through Science.

I have never, ever, in physics or any other science, encountered something that is 100% accurate or true, by scientists own admission and reporting.

There are always uncertainties, usually expressed by sigma confidence levels, a mathematical interpretation of truth (mathematics itself also an imperfect tool to capture the beauty of the Universe).
"
鬼殺し wrote:
At my best, I manage to ask the right question. I am usually content to encourage others to do so.

Answers that don't lead to more questions bore me. I am quite like a little kid there.

The adult part of me spends most of its time figuring out whom to ask and when.

It's been said that a genius knows the answer before hearing the question. I think it's impressive enough when a person can give themselves the right answer to the right question.

For everyone else there's MasterCard...and the scientific method.

A video gamer, bored?

Quick, lest we do nothing about it!

:)

I'm starting to get the hang of reading you between the lines, I think.

It's true I am a huge proponent of science. I am not entirely unbiased in this, I have never claimed otherwise.

But to hear these misconceptions about it...at the very least the record should be set straight.

Then we can actually discuss things.

I mean, if two people have wildly differing definitions of the terminology being used, they are essentially shouting at each other in foreign languages. Different. Foreign. Languages.

Let's shout at each other, in the same language, ffs!

Also, it is a bit boring, science trumped (no pun intended) non-secularism long ago. It won. Move on rojimboo. Go bash the orange duckling some more.

What else is there to advance society? I can't even think of anything, atm.

Before someone shouts 'War!', it still uses the scientific method, just in a more concentrated manner.

Do you not think it's just a matter of time before we largely explain the birth of the Universe?

That seems to be like the victory parade signal for anti-scientists.

"Well if science is so great, how were we created, how was the Universe created? What created God?"

I tried to use a lot of question marks.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
At my best, I manage to ask the right question. I am usually content to encourage others to do so.

Questions. That's where Science has a major blind spot -

Not specifically to you Charan but feel free to chip in:

How do scientists know which questions to ask?

There's no right or wrong question, just right and wrong answers.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
"
faerwin wrote:
There's no right or wrong question, just right and wrong answers.

to a degree. there is no absolute "right" way to think though
"
erdelyii wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Questions. That's where Science has a major blind spot -

Not specifically to you Charan but feel free to chip in:

How do scientists know which questions to ask?

You start with the most utilized answer in science.

"i don't know"

And then move from that answer to the questions.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
So... do giant twinkies work?
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info