[3.3] Crit Fire/Flamethrower Trapper! - League Starter

"
gokudin wrote:
"
return33 wrote:
I really wanted to play fire traps - and made the mistake to watch zigyds video ...

I spent like 2 chaos (the only item i ever bought) on the trap boots - made a "vendor round" to buy gemes and changed my fire traper to arc traps ....

Oh boy...
My clearspeed trippled at least
Incursions i really struggeled before ... well i now can clear all the monsters, open the door i like with like 10 seconds "chill time".

I dont know about the later scalling - but for midlevel - use the tree and go arc trap really.

The fine thing about trap build is how easy it is to change skills ....

I saw it too and was thinking to change, I think i'll give a chance, the clear spead of fire trap isnt the best my focus was flamethrower but I almost dont use

Yeah, it's base is a lackluster, which is why I use increased AoE in my clearing setup.
But yeah, anything works, because we are specced only in generic nodes and crits, not specific element, which makes it easy to switch and play around with any trap
Any chance vaals impurity of fire could be better as the last gem slot I dont know how much pen I currently have but against bosses I think this would work well. I may try it out a bit tomorrow and see how it is.
After few changes, I've completely moved on to Flamethrower as a single target boss skill. Since I don't actually build around burning or cooldowns, I'm cool with only Fire Trap igniting and burning, while thrower wrecks the rest, when needed.
On the 5 link, it's currently:
Flamethrower Trap - Ele Focus - Controlled Destruction - Trap and Mine Damage - Fire Pen.
Will see about Conc Effect for a 6th link, and how it performs.
The damage is actually disgusting, very strong.

I dont get the conection between:

The chain reaction node is no longer that important.

and

Tinkerskin?

The Armor heals like crazy i get this - but thats not chain reaction more like pyromanic???
"
return33 wrote:
I dont get the conection between:

The chain reaction node is no longer that important.

and

Tinkerskin?

The Armor heals like crazy i get this - but thats not chain reaction more like pyromanic???

You will use Tinkerskin if you decide to utilize EB, and if you want CDR for cooldown based traps. That's pretty much it. With EB, you use Energy Shield to use skills before you use mana, and Tinker recovers your ES by 50 per trap activated by enemy. It pretty much easily solves your trap cost issues. Life recovery is negligible.

I would personally much rather utilize a pseudo 6 link on shaper mod helmet, and pseudo 5 link on shaper mod gloves and just use Kaom's Heart instead. But that's only me and my opinion, since I have opted for pure life and acrobatics, instead of life/EB/MoM combo for survivability.
There are plenty of ways to play a trapper now, and this is one of the best defensive setups, I just neglected it, since I rarely die either way, and I like having capped dodge and spell dodge.
But then again, CI/Low Life, if you can afford it, would by far be better, but albeit, much more expensive.

Chain reaction is indeed no longer important, because you get more than enough trap trigger radius from skill tree, so now Chain Reaction is better to swap for Explosives Expert.
I'm actually playing a scion variant, but this seems the most active discussion on the fire trap life, and builds are pretty similar.

Few observations/ideas/tips

- Yeah, arc traps probably are better, though think for top end single target damage we still beat it (though maybe shimmeron's will change that)

- Chaos damage in temple is nasty. I assumed regen would cover me, but a lot of it is on hit damage. Can't see an easy way to get a lot of chaos res. Maybe when I get all my dodge, and try and get one decent chaos res roll on an item.

- Fire traps 200% added damage effectivness is great, but flamethrower is only 30% so kind of an anti-synergy scaling it. though it does hit multiple times, so I guess it's higher in effect. I've been toying with switching to cremation traps, though casting desecrate is a pain.

- Immolate is a really good damage link for fire trap, but doesn't help with the initial hit for one shotting packs. I might swap it out for either AOE or damage (not using controlled destruction atm)

- On the added damage front, Gloves from temple with flat fire against burning enemies are great. it comes with a 'free' t1 fire res roll too, so all you need is a good life roll and they are GG. Basically best option until shaper gloves unles you run slavedriver hand.

- I've been toying with using https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Malachai%27s_Awakening . Free blood magic for sustain (That we can cover with regen) and a ton of flat damage. Either drop anger, or run in an essence worm (I'd probably leave it until I had a fire pen with anger watcher's eye).

- I'm seriously thinking If I keep the build going into endgame of going Kaoms chest (With a double corruption even better!). Either purely on pseudo links, or run a staff. You can get +2 fire, 130+ trap damage and a fire/spell damage roll on a 100% global crit staff. And they are cheap. I'd buy a white 6l staff and just get +2 fire until I could link a GG one.
Last edited by Carlovski on Jun 4, 2018, 7:14:21 AM
so i just got this jewel here

and it seems to give quite a bit of damage if you socket it near https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Fangs_of_the_Viper (could also take nullification while youre there, makes a total of 3 passive points spent, including fangs of the viper)

Sometimes making an offer is better than asking for a price.
Last edited by TheShadowX on Jun 4, 2018, 9:23:17 AM
"
Carlovski wrote:
I'm actually playing a scion variant, but this seems the most active discussion on the fire trap life, and builds are pretty similar.

Few observations/ideas/tips

- Yeah, arc traps probably are better, though think for top end single target damage we still beat it (though maybe shimmeron's will change that)

- Chaos damage in temple is nasty. I assumed regen would cover me, but a lot of it is on hit damage. Can't see an easy way to get a lot of chaos res. Maybe when I get all my dodge, and try and get one decent chaos res roll on an item.

- Fire traps 200% added damage effectivness is great, but flamethrower is only 30% so kind of an anti-synergy scaling it. though it does hit multiple times, so I guess it's higher in effect. I've been toying with switching to cremation traps, though casting desecrate is a pain.

- Immolate is a really good damage link for fire trap, but doesn't help with the initial hit for one shotting packs. I might swap it out for either AOE or damage (not using controlled destruction atm)

- On the added damage front, Gloves from temple with flat fire against burning enemies are great. it comes with a 'free' t1 fire res roll too, so all you need is a good life roll and they are GG. Basically best option until shaper gloves unles you run slavedriver hand.

- I've been toying with using https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Malachai%27s_Awakening . Free blood magic for sustain (That we can cover with regen) and a ton of flat damage. Either drop anger, or run in an essence worm (I'd probably leave it until I had a fire pen with anger watcher's eye).

- I'm seriously thinking If I keep the build going into endgame of going Kaoms chest (With a double corruption even better!). Either purely on pseudo links, or run a staff. You can get +2 fire, 130+ trap damage and a fire/spell damage roll on a 100% global crit staff. And they are cheap. I'd buy a white 6l staff and just get +2 fire until I could link a GG one.

I feel that, for top end, we don't outdamage the lightning build, even with ignite/burning, just because of how shock works. If we would incorporate shock in our build, we would definitely outdamage it, but without the shock, I'm not too sure. But our damage is more than enough...

Immolate is actually a very good choice for bossing, but me, personally, I won't have links for that, as I focus on pure damage Flamethrower for single target with all the juicy more multipliers, and I plan on running pseudo 5 link of:
Trap and Mine Damage shaper mod + Fire Trap + Cluster Trap + Combustion + Charged Traps - for my trash clear.
Yes, I switched out of increased AoE and using Charged Traps, for constant uptime on charges, since having only Blast Cascade and Master Sapper is making fun of me sometimes. Still no issues with clear, the difference between clear time per map is minimal, 10 seconds difference tops. So no biggie.

Yeah, I've been thinking about staff as well, but that would only be possible after I get Kaoms, because I don't run MoM, and my only source of defense is my 4.5k life, trap range, regen and capped dodge/spell dodge. I'm much more inclined on pseudo 6 link for helmet and pseudo 5 link for gloves, even with Kaom's, but also keeping the weapon and shield, due to how much life and resistances a shield can roll. It really makes the life easier.

I'm at a loss with these builds. How the hell can MoM be sustained with so little investment?
"
Ghoulz666 wrote:
I'm at a loss with these builds. How the hell can MoM be sustained with so little investment?

Normal MoM needs more mana investment, has more trouble utilizing auras/heralds/blasphemy, in some cases even needs more skillpoints and once you are in a dangerous situation the mana is gone and movement skills and damage skills are basically disabled.
EB bypasses that, protects your mana, and Energy Shield is spent for using the skills. In this case, Tinkerskin regenerates 50 ES per trap activated by the enemy, which will in turn allow you to spam your traps. If you get close to losing it, you just move back, wait 2 seconds and it will recharge. Which is why plenty of trappers and miner opt for that route, it's safer, it's easier, and also traps and mines cost big chunk of mana to use.
Last edited by Songweaver on Jun 4, 2018, 12:15:46 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info