[3.15] Fivers Frost Blades Raider (Outdated)

"
afonsosp wrote:
"
vayha wrote:
Why brutality is better than mele physical damage? I know pob shows it is better but in game mele shows better dmg and it seems to be logic... 50% more dmg every hit seems to be better than 130% every third attack.
Can anyone explain?

I think you mean Ruthless , right?

Right. Right. Ruthless vs Mele phys attack
Seems that game dmg counter is more logical... mele phys dmg should give more boost than ruthless... the only one reason that ruthless is able to give more dmg output is by critical hit multiplayer... and perhaps pob is counting it as a average damage.
Last edited by vayha on Jan 29, 2020, 2:49:30 AM
"
vayha wrote:
"
afonsosp wrote:
"
vayha wrote:
Why brutality is better than mele physical damage? I know pob shows it is better but in game mele shows better dmg and it seems to be logic... 50% more dmg every hit seems to be better than 130% every third attack.
Can anyone explain?

I think you mean Ruthless , right?

Right. Right. Ruthless vs Mele phys attack
Seems that game dmg counter is more logical... mele phys dmg should give more boost than ruthless... the only one reason that ruthless is able to give more dmg output is by critical hit multiplayer... and perhaps pob is counting it as a average damage.

The in game DPS tooltip is very flawed, and you should not trust it. It calculates your damage based on your current damage per hit versus your attack speed.
All the active buffs are taken into account, but a lot of things are left out.
The in game tooltip does not account for elemental penetration, enemy debuffs, intimidate, and a lot of other external sources.
And unless you are buffed fully, then frenzy charges/onslaught/vaal haste/berserk/rage/vaal ancestetral warchief/protector, well you get it.

If you socket and unsocket Ruthless you'll see that it doesn't even show any damage loss/gain on the DPS in game. This is because the in-game counter doesn't take that third hit into account. That's why MPD shows more in game.

Path of Building is always a more reliable tool when it comes to calculating DPS.

But to add to that.
Ruthless is better than MPD for a couple of reasons.
It synergizes really well with Multistrike, which gives 0/22/44% more damage on 1st/2nd/3rd hit.
It has a much lower mana multiplier.
And even if the damage was worse, the big blow you get on the third hit (speciall together with Multistrike) is actually pretty important to help freeze and stun targets.

I agree with you on the math though, logically it seems MPD should do more, but there are external forces in play as well. I'm gonna be honest and say that I'm not really sure why.
But either way, I think Ruthless is better.

Don't panic.
Last edited by Fiver on Jan 29, 2020, 11:20:54 AM
If anyone wants to take a look at my character I'd appreciate it.

I think I have some pretty good gear, full resists (~108-120%), but probably need more evasion, life, and chaos res (currently at -60%).

If anyone sees any upgrades I could do for a couple ex please let me know.

Or if any piece of my gear is particularly nice, I'd like to hear that as well (new player).

Thanks!

BonhomeWealthowe:
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ElysiumAB/characters
Last edited by ElysiumAB on Jan 29, 2020, 12:49:02 PM
Here is the Changelog from the latest update to the build (2020-01-26). I'm a bit late with this, I just kinda forgot. It has also been added to the changelog in the second post on the first page.

- Pastebin updated

- Build has been adapted to make it easier to get resists, which will make it possible to get max chaos resistance. Chaos resist hasn't been a huge issue previously, but since 3.9, having maxed Chaos Res is a big deal.

- Shaper's Touch are back, but no longer BiS. They are still very good of course, and they have dropped in price significantly during the league. Getting a pair with +1 frenzy isn't even that expensive.

- Rare gloves are added as BiS. This is, however, assuming you have a good budget. With the new warlord exalt you can get +1 to frenzy on gloves, which allows you to theoretically get +2 frenzy from gloves.
If you have a pair of rare gloves with +1 frenzy, they do slightly less damage than ST, but they allow for more resists on the build.

- Starkonja is replaced for a rare helmet with "Nearby Enemies have -9% to Cold Resistance". This also allows for more resists.

- The passive tree has been rerouted to help fill up chaos resist. It has sacrificed Revenge of the Hunted to go for Method of Madness instead.

- The passive tree now gets Claws of the Falcon instead of Primeval Force. Not only does CotF give more damage, but this also allows us to annoint something else. Disemboweling is the best annoint for damage. Tribal Fury is really cool though.

- Awakened Melee Physical Damage is removed and instead we use Ruthless, like in previous versions of the build. The damage is better with ruthless, and you can get the intimidate on a Lethal Pride anyway.

Don't panic.
Last edited by Fiver on Jan 29, 2020, 12:58:30 PM
"
sephrinx wrote:
Hey there, recently switched to this build. Played Frost Blades in Legion and it was awesome, but it felt lacking in single target damage. Giving it another go and really enjoying it so far. However, I feel the single target to be a bit low.

I see to have less than 1/3 the damage of your "Expensive" build gear. I've get pretty much all the same caliber of stuff aside from the +1 Frenzy on gloves, but I have 14% Attack Speed instead.

What can I do to get more damage? I'm not quite sure what to do in order of upgrading items or how to reach that level of DPS you have.

Here is my PoB - https://pastebin.com/nBEuveLK

Edit: I forgot to add the Multistrike Fix to the Lethal Pride jewel, I've changed that now, but it's still less than 1/2 the damage and I want to maximize it as best I can because Frost Blades is fucking dope.

It just dawned on me that I'm using a fork that adjusts for Multistrike damage, so the 44% more melee attack speed/10% less attack damage/10% increased melee physical damage/22% more damage is already being included.

I removed that modification from both builds, but I'm still at less than half the dps you have some how. I'm at 2.2M Shaper dps, whereas in your build it's pushing 5Mil. Also, for what reason do you have the chaos multi node? Seems rather odd to spend 7 points for 28 chaos resistance, is that the only purpose or am I missing something?

Ashcrack1087 did a very good job at summing up most of it.

- Get the burst skills
- Get crit on your weapon. It's really important to make sure the claw has crit on it.
- You're using the wrong boots. You should use Darkray Vector's.
- You're using wrong gloves. Use Tombfist or Shaper's Touch, and preferably with +1 frenzy charge on them. You can also use a piece of rare gloves with the Warlord prefix that gives +1 frenzy.
- Get Lion's Roar. Replace your Wise Oak.
- If you don't have a helmet with "Nearby Enemies have -9% to Cold Resistance", you should be using Starkonja.
- Try to get a Lethal Pride that has 10% chance to intimidate on crit. Double damage comes after that. (preferably you want both ofc)

Other things I noticed.
- You can get a body armour with crit chance on it.
- Get the elemental penetration enchant on your boots. It's easy to farm.
- The jewel in your belt isn't very good. You can easily replace that.
- You don't have Frost Bomb. Change your Whirling Blades to look like this: WB - Fortify - CoC - Frost Bomb. This allows you to debuff enemies when you whirl through them. And you want to be whirling through enemies as much as possible anyway, since you keep up your fortify that way.
You are using Wave of Conviction instead, which is ok, but the problem with it is that if you don't self-cast it, it often misses the targets you whirl through, making it useless in many cases. Unlike Frost Bomb, it also doesn't reduce enemy life regen.
- Tempest Shield is useless. Since we are using Acrobatics, then our block chance is very low, and Tempest Shield doesn't really do anything (except that it looks cool).

If you change these things, you should notice a much higher damage.

Don't panic.
"
ElysiumAB wrote:
If anyone wants to take a look at my character I'd appreciate it.

I think I have some pretty good gear, full resists (~108-120%), but probably need more evasion, life, and chaos res (currently at -60%).

If anyone sees any upgrades I could do for a couple ex please let me know.

Or if any piece of my gear is particularly nice, I'd like to hear that as well (new player).

Thanks!

BonhomeWealthowe:
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ElysiumAB/characters

You are using a lot of stuff that you need to change.

Let's check items first:
- You need to get darkray vector's. They cost almost nothing, and are best in slot. Try to get elemental penetration enchant on them. It's easy to farm.
- If you're not using Starkonja, then you need to get the delve modifier "Nearby Enemies have -9% to Cold Resistance" on your helmet.
- You need to replace your quicksilver flask with a Lion's Roar.
- Replace your Opal Ring with a Mark of the Elder.
- You need to get one more Fight for Survival Jewel.
- I'm not sure what your lethal pride does, but try to get intimidate and/or double damage on it. Intimidate is the best one.
- Get a new claw. You wan't something that is pure phys or phys/cold hybrid.
- Try to get an armour that has critical strike chance on it

Skills:
- You don't have Berserk. Berserk is extremely important and the biggest reason why we use Rage in our Frost Blades setup.
- Get Vaal Haste.

You can check my current character if you want to see how the optimal link setup looks. (ShineOnYouCrazyFiver)

Passives:
- Get rid of Flash Freeze.
- Get the last Frenzy Charge.
- Get rid of Command of Steel. Block is useless for us, since we are using acrobatics.
- Replace Primeval Force with Claws of the Falcon
- When you can replace Divine Fervour, I recommend getting Disemboweling or Tribal Fury. Divine Fervour is still good though, so keep it as long as you need.
- Get Master of the Arena. It's really useful not only for damage, but the extra strength and range from it is really useful.
- Get rid of the "claw damage and attack speed" point that you have placed at the top part of the claw wheel.
- When all of these changes are done, start moving towards Revenge of the Hunted.

Don't panic.
Thanks so much Fiver!

I'm subbed to you on Twitch. :)

Curious though - why are Darkray Vectors so good? I actually already bought a pair, since they are in the guide - but I don't really understand the mechanics or why they're justified?

Cheers.
Last edited by ElysiumAB on Jan 29, 2020, 2:51:16 PM
Hello, trying to find a new build to play and found this build, I have a few question :

How good is the tankiness ?

I'm not a bad player nor good, so idk if I can survive with a evasion based.

do you still die by a random hit from nowhere ?

I tried a build with flicker raider, can do all content pretty fast but I die pretty often too (it took me 3 portal for the normal shaper)

hope you can help me :P
"
Mastiis wrote:
Hello, trying to find a new build to play and found this build, I have a few question :

How good is the tankiness ?

I'm not a bad player nor good, so idk if I can survive with a evasion based.

do you still die by a random hit from nowhere ?

I tried a build with flicker raider, can do all content pretty fast but I die pretty often too (it took me 3 portal for the normal shaper)

hope you can help me :P

You will get oneshots pretty often, unless you will always reroll dmg mods on map, i have capped res, 16k evasion, 4.5k hp and i'm always dying :'(
Maybe you need to invest way more in this build to reduce deaths.
"
ElysiumAB wrote:
Thanks so much Fiver!

I'm subbed to you on Twitch. :)

Curious though - why are Darkray Vectors so good? I actually already bought a pair, since they are in the guide - but I don't really understand the mechanics or why they're justified?

Cheers.

We are stacking frenzy charges pretty heavily, and we get a lot of bonuses from frenzy charges from darkray vectors. They also give us one extra.
You gotta remember that every frenzy charge we get gives us both damage/evasion/attack speed etc.

Don't panic.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info