ALL HAIL PRESIDENT TRUMP

Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
The problems are pinpointed pretty well, but the solutions suggested are oxymorons. It's like listening to high school kids figuring out their first ideas for an ideal nation. Except these people are adults, not kids. Yikes.
"
The problems are pinpointed pretty well, but the solutions suggested are oxymorons. It's like listening to high school kids figuring out their first ideas for an ideal nation. Except these people are adults, not kids. Yikes.

Hardly surprising given the state of affairs.

(⌐■_■)
"
Then what do you propose, oh enlightened one?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Then what do you propose, oh enlightened one?

If you don't know the reason why things are like this, you can't solve it. The solution in the video is pretty childish because it doesn't put serious thought into the reason why special interests and billionaires hold so much power in politics.

Billionaires and special interest actually do something about issues they care about.

Most people don't even vote for President, much less follow politics closely enough to even know what bills are even being talked about in Congress.

If people were more involved in the government, they'd have more power to implement whatever change they are seeking.

And the reason for this is because politics isn't a priority for most people in America. Sex, girlfriends, boyfriends, the daily grind of work, and kids take priority over less tangible things like an environmental reform bill.

Also, billionaires or groups are more likely to take action against a politician than a group of people will over one issue.

A billionaire is betting that as long as they support you, you will help them out for as long as you are in power. And vice-versa. And it's safer politically to side yourself with the special interest and billionaires because they are less likely to stab you in the back.

Public opinion changes wildly over the course of a few years. Are most politicians willing to bet that people will remember that you passed that minimum wage bill 4 years ago? Or will they just give no fucks and kick you out once a new, brighter face comes on the scene?

Common, it's a win-win situation for politicians and special interest, which is why Congress doesn't give a two-shits about its 4% or whatever approval rating. Those 96% of people who hate them, don't do shit about their disapproval.

Any real change has to make the system favorable for politicians to listen to the public. And unless there are actual incentives for that in place, it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

This was kind of like that discussion I had with a friend over why CEOs are paid so much compared to the average worker in their company. Put yourselves in their shoes.

It doesn't take that much more thought into why the world functions the way it does and why quick solutions like the ones in the video almost never work.
(⌐■_■)
Watching the video is to get you to click on the website. https://represent.us/ The solutions are described on the website. The video is not supposed to give you a full understanding. It's supposed to be entertaining and informative enough to get lots of people to go to the website and get involved from there.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Turtledove wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Nobel Pieceofshit Prize.

LOL, you're on a roll today!

:D (I just retweeted)
"
RPGlitch wrote:
Any real change has to make the system favorable for politicians to listen to the public. And unless there are actual incentives for that in place, it isn't going to happen anytime soon.
They hit upon the one I feel is most important — gerrymandering. If you're a Democrat in a district that will always vote Democrat, your only threat to re-election comes in the form of being primaried out. Ideally, district boundaries would be redrawn with precisely the opposite intent as they are now — to make each district competitive between D and R.

However, regarding districts that can't be redrawn in such a way, I agree they didn't mention the primary process as they should have. I think the American people have a right to fair elections on the primary level, and the Democrat position (which may be echoed by GOP, IDK) that they can decide their nominees however they want needs to be not only stopped but criminalized. We need there to be legitimate challenges to politicians from within their own parties.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 1, 2019, 11:27:01 AM
"
Turtledove wrote:
Watching the video is to get you to click on the website. https://represent.us/ The solutions are described on the website. The video is not supposed to give you a full understanding. It's supposed to be entertaining and informative enough to get lots of people to go to the website and get involved from there.

I greatly enjoy bottom-up legislature instead of top-down fiat (especially the burgeoning law-by-Executive-Order pattern of the last few decades). Really, if anyone here wants to make real political change, starting locally is always the best decision. It's fun to argue the detailed and complex topic of Fuck Trump all day long, but if you want real change, show up at a city council meeting.

---

A lot of the problems that RepresentUs feels the current system cannot currently solve is because we either have federal regulation on those issues that stop states from solving it (see: Drug War) OR because we have giant federal systems where a one-size-fits-all, country-wide solution is suboptimal.

The problems listed are:
- Fed. Government waste
- Rural poverty
- Healthcare costs are too high
- Excessive incarceration
- Jobs lost to China
- Air/Water pollution

... and going down this abbreviated list of "all current problems", really only the "Jobs lost to China" and somewhat "Healthcare costs" are only solvable at the federal level. Certainly poverty, incarceration, and pollution are specific to each state and likely each county/city. The first bullet point is literally "big, centralized governments are suboptimal", which obviously cannot be fixed by adding more government.

---

I find it a bit strange that they don't fully trust in their argument. They say we should embark on this style of bottom-up legislature but only to the extent that it changes the meta-policy (voting, lobbying, representation, etc.), then we should switch back to giant federal governance for all other policy, like policy affecting the issues above.

As a result of this disconnect, I'm immediately suspicious. If they don't trust the core of their argument, I'm not inclined to trust it either.

Some of their Anti-Corruption Act seems objectively good, like ranked voting/STV and open primaries. As far as meta-policy goes, these seem like great ways to expand the power of the individual and allow for a better expression of public support.

Some of their ACA seems like it would be open to fraud and abuse, such as the independence of an anti-gerrymandering committee, "automatic voter registration" and certainly online voting, or their definition of "meaningful funds" w.r.t. privacy violation. These aren't necessarily bad, but enough to raise an eyebrow.

Some of their ACA just seems like a straight power grab. $50-100 to each eligible voter is over $100billion (~20 Trump-walls, in modern day political parlance) per election year, and no word about where that money comes from. That money would then be spent by politicians on... political ads.

Why should taxes pay media companies to run ads? Now I'm starting to wonder if RepresentUs is being pushed by media companies... oh... no. Oh, one of their chairs is the CEO of a giant online marketing firm. Oh, and there's John Johnson, co-founder of Buzzfeed.

Why is it so hard to just trust people, you ask? :(
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Oh, yeah. NOW the Left are concerned about governmental corruption...

https://represent.us/donor-list/

Not exactly a Who's Who of Conservative voices supporting their idea to tear down the "system." Revolution by any means, comrade. =9[.]9=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info