[3.6] Milky's Scorching Ray Totems (updating process)

I'm kind of worried but wanted to do this build to start 3.0 from the beginning so it's hard to adjust to something else. One big thing for me, is I hate placing SB and having to position it right, and now that it's such a big part of the damage of this build, it's hard to ignore it. Seems like it was a big nerf, and to compensate, the build isn't as "chill" as it once was and now requires a lot more work, to the point where Warchief is more damage, and less work. I'll probably still roll with RF though.
"
Mawwk wrote:
Just downloaded the new POB and the damage changed so much from yesterday, the setup without 2 kikazaru and self flagelation will be worth using now?

With good rings it can even be better, just needs like 2 good curse removal flasks

"
I'm kind of worried but wanted to do this build to start 3.0 from the beginning so it's hard to adjust to something else. One big thing for me, is I hate placing SB and having to position it right, and now that it's such a big part of the damage of this build, it's hard to ignore it. Seems like it was a big nerf, and to compensate, the build isn't as "chill" as it once was and now requires a lot more work, to the point where Warchief is more damage, and less work. I'll probably still roll with RF though.

play what you like the most ;) i will never ever touch warchiefs again :P

Its a it more effort than in 2.6

For magicpacks or rares some OoS is probably needed, depending on the gear/links

Bossing is basically the same, instead of VLT its a SR-Totem

I can only recommend a soulmantle, unspecc Ancestral Bond and have it as effortless as possible.

No mantle is not that bad for singletarget, but it will probably not enough to smoothly kill packs.

Well i can theorycraft and predict a lot, how it will play out in the end is something i can only test in 3.0.

For me it still looks like a good starter with pretty cheap soulmantle aviable (especially with ppl jumping off the rft train) that has a strong base for early mapping and bossing while staying very gear independant
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
Last edited by Milkyslice on Aug 3, 2017, 8:36:07 AM
Was wondering... why don't we use rallying cry ?
Lost over 400k dps after pob update, rip...
So with the Path of Building update i played around a bit.

This is a setup i would aim for in 3.0 as a Berserker with MoM (to test it, if its shit BM).

preset is singletarget dps against shaper with conc effect, debuffs/buffs active, no flasks active, 6 curses including enfeeble on us. pretty realistic for that case.

So i changed a few things:

- Chieftain to Berserker. The totems now degenerate slower which makes em easier to use on a Berserker. He´s also required to compensate a bit of the dmg loss and can work better with Mind over Matter (if it doesnt turn out to be shit)

- Vaal Lightning Trap is kicked out. Basically the whole helmet setup got removed (decoy + duration + VLT + enduring cry)
+ added scorching ray + spelltotem + efficacy + burning dmg. Should be a good mix of dps and duration of the debuff. In the link i added alternative gems as well like increased duration which makes it easier to keep the debuff up. i havent played around with that setup yes, so i don´t have first hand experience which will be the most practical

- the utility skills from the helmet are in the weapon now. A warcry is a must have for the Berserker, either enduring cry (liferegen and charges) or rallying cry (can help with mom and adds extra dmg).

Stonegolem feels good to have with the regen, but the taunt is less useful on a berserker.

trap is needed with AB (which i wouldn´t use with soulmantle, makes everything less clunky)

Decoy is nice on dangerous encounter, but i haven´t tested it on a berserker which taunts everytime he needs health. can be bad.

immortal call is more useful on a berserker since he can refill his charges all the time very reliable

cwdt only for automated stonegolem or immortal call proccs

What you pick for the utility is your choice. I am torn between golem+rally+cwdt and immortal call +cwdt+enduring cry

- movementskill is set to shieldcharge (dual wielding leapslam/whirling blades if you want). Berserker has sweet atk speed, makes lightning warp less attractive

- rf now has burning dmg as the best dps gem and efficacy in a 6l mantle. The order of linking would be

Spelltotem > Righteous Fire > Burning Damage > Area of Effect/Concentrated Effect > Elemental Focus > Swift Affliction > Efficacy (in a mantle which i highly recommend)

- the flasks are debatable. I would say a forbidden taste is a great panick flask + a manaflask to refill mana when needed.
Witchfire can be useful to remove the need of OoS in packs just for the temporary curse, but that could easily be removed
Rumis is alway great for defence, use a granite instead if you have none
a sulphur helps a bit with the dmg while clearing, but can be switched to a defensive flask as well

- i added the "test jewel" which simulates a jewel with 20% burning and 16% totem dmg. This way i learned that the dps loss with no totemlife jewels is there for packs, but the singletarget dps is higher with no totemlife jewels. Would still definetly use Spire of Stone in any case. No totem life on a jewel isn´t THAT bad anymore.

- Lioneyes Remorse instead of Tukohamas fortress because MoM

Singletarget DPS

https://pastebin.com/xFfaLHae

preset is singletarget dps against shaper with conc effect, debuffs/buffs active, no flasks active, 6 curses including enfeeble on us, 4 stacks scorching ray. pretty realistic for that case.

RFT: 261500
SB: 95600
SR: 32000

total: 389100

This number can vary with the amount/type of curses, SR stacks and activated flasks

https://pastebin.com/Z7YYGWji

This is the stuff i used in 2.6 with the same presets when possible.

RFT: 315000 dps
SB: 57000 dps

total: 372000 dps

This number can vary with the amount/type of curses and activated flasks

But milky you aren´t using scorching ray there! A whole different class! And other complains!

This is the setup i mainly (99.9% of the time) used and it always felt good for me to use. Now i tried to bring it on the same dps lvl for singletarget.

Overall the singletarget dps after those changes is roughly the same.

Mapping

Mapclearing is a whole different thing. We all want to have low effort with most encounters with the possibility to throw more at tough enemys like essence monsters, breachbosses/rares etc.

I always just placed a rf totem and walked to the next pack, in rare cases i used a orb of storms for some rare or tougher enemy.

So my preset for this is:

no EE procc, no boss, 6 curses including enfeeble, no scorching ray/searing bond, area of ect instead of conc effect, curse disabled, NO Elemental overload, flasks active. Just pure with no buffs except the curses and flasks:

3.0 135000 dps
2.6 176000 dps

Now thats more of a difference, which is even higher with a 5link (107500 in 3.0) since i never used a dps gem in a 6link mantle... there was just no good one aviable.

For white monsters that dps should still be easily enough and hard to notice.
Magic monsters will most likely be similar to whites, except its a tough basetype (like those flaming rock dudes)
Rare monster will most of the time need a orb of storms to ramp the dps up

This can obviously changes a lot depending on the mapmods, gear, jewels and amount of links aviable!

I expect that a 4l mantle is needed to feel good in white maps, 5l in yellows and 6l + doryani/equivalent rare for red maps.

It can go from "barely noticing the change" over "i need OoS from rather often" to "unleash all the skills"

Soulmantle

i would say it´s mandatory now.

The extra damage is needed and the +1 totem lets us respecc ancestral bond which makes the gameplay smoother.

1. Either you use 2x kikazaru and self-flagellation

or

2. 2x utility flask with curse removal, rare rings and a rare jewel

1. is cheap and grants an early damage boost. It lowers you resist overcap and weakens curse related mapmods. it feels pretty smooth

2. can get more, reliable dmg with a higher investment (opal ring, fire% craft). Hp can be a lot higher with 2 potential life and str rolls and a jewel with potential life%

The downside is you need to manage the flasks properly and they could run out in very long bossfights (tp to refill). it can feel a bit clunkier

tl:dr

Boss Dps doesn´t change much, the changes and buffs to SB and SR make that even. it will take longer to kill most bosses (t16+ stays the same) since they buffed their hp compared to 2.6

Map clearing will most likely require more uses of orb of storms to buff/debuff against magic/rare monsters. a little bit more stuff to do.

The dmg loss after switching to rft is noticable if you played the build before, but it doesn't make a big difference if you place the totems good enough. I expect that i quick switch to soulmantle is desired

This is now in a spoiler on the top of the guide if you search for it

Last edited by Milkyslice on Aug 3, 2017, 10:52:49 AM
"
Siegfried76 wrote:
Was wondering... why don't we use rallying cry ?

see my latest post ;)

could be used instead of enduring cry, both are good in their own way. will add it later in the guide once i have time again

Last edited by Milkyslice on Aug 3, 2017, 10:42:20 AM

Last edited by Milkyslice on Aug 3, 2017, 12:26:07 PM
So do we have a dead build here or is it still alive?
Pretty much rip tbh, lost a ton of damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info