[3.6] Milky's Scorching Ray Totems (updating process)

Yeah, I figured that packs would die too quickly to be culled, even as fast as orb of storms pulses.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback/sounding board and steering me away from the "on kill" pitfall. At this point I'm just messing around and seeing if it happens to work out better in practice than I'd imagine. There's little doubt that there are other far more practical and efficient choices than bringing a bow to a totem fight :P
Last edited by Norc on Jul 6, 2017, 10:31:11 AM
"
Norc wrote:
Yeah, I figured that packs would die too quickly to be culled, even as fast as orb of storms pulses.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback/sounding board and steering me away from the "on kill" pitfall. At this point I'm just messing around and seeing if it happens to work out better in practice than I'd imagine. There's little doubt that there are other far more practical and efficient choices than bringing a bow to a totem fight :P

It would be really cool if skirmish/iron commander would add extra totems and not only ballistas/attack totems, would definetly try it then ;)

let me know how it works out for you
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
Thanks for the continued work on this guide. I rolled with it over a year ago and enjoyed it. I am thinking of doing it for 3.0, as a chill build to experience the new content with, etc, so I was pleased to see you are still doing work on the guide. I'll keep checking to see your expert opinion on the best class to roll RF totems with :).
Its too early to say what will probably the best (ggg changes a lot atm), but i expect that most of it stays the same

Last edited by Milkyslice on Jul 7, 2017, 2:45:32 PM
Burning Damage Support > Immolate Support ?
i made a LA/Barrage as a league starter, big mistake there, should of went with this build, struggled on maps with the Ranger, howeevr with this build i steam rolled all the acts (1 shot pretty much all the bosses in act 8, where i was having a nightmare with the Ranger) and just completed merc lab at 64. This build will defo be my league starter, with little investment it will get you into mapping with ease.

Was able to swap a belly of the beast for a 5 link soul mantle, and now steam rolling through maps.

I enjoy this build that much, i have made a second RF to play through with my son.
"
Anoobis1967 wrote:
Burning Damage Support > Immolate Support ?

immolate doesnt work with dots.

-
Last edited by Ezanne on Aug 6, 2022, 3:19:19 AM
Okay, so, I'm only level 52, so all I can really report on so far is Iron Commander:

• I got a max Totem Life/Totem Placement Speed with mid-attack speed for 1 alch
• You can use it at level 32
• The dexterity requirement is reasonable for a bow (107)
• The totem life is nice and reasonably noticeable
• Totem Placement Speed is the better of the two stats while leveling I think.
• I have to admit it doesn't feel like it should if you were able to equip your endgame weapon (like a Doryani's Catalyst, for instance) at level 32.

If nothing else, it's definitely a workable leveling item when combined with a stat quiver. Not that it was really in question, but I can confirm that this is indeed general totem life/placement speed and not local somehow or restricted to only siege ballista by some hidden mechanic.

The (slightly silly) experiment continues.
Last edited by Norc on Jul 8, 2017, 12:08:35 PM
Testing the build in the beta right now, it works nicely starting at lvl 31. That's about when RF totems become worthwhile, as that's enough points to get to the area increase and then burning damage up to lvl 40, and of course the burning damage support.

Before that, i found that it's too slow and little aoe to be worth the effort, and a 2H + sunder is faster to go through act 2-3.

I'm pretty sure it will be my starting build for most leagues now, it's smooth as silk and really rewarding to level up with, as most nodes make a nice difference. Much better feeling than other totems builds i used before (i usually go with Warchief or Ballista). Trying to go as Berserker this time and see how it scales later, the heal on warcry makes for a really easy leveling as well, as it's enough to facetank all packs and run through everything.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info