[3.6] Milky's Scorching Ray Totems (updating process)

Thanks for all the info, done the build before and can't wait to start with it next friday.
Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.
Regards.

Nice build and thanks for keeping it up to date.

This will be my first build in the new league... hope to have success with it !!!
Last edited by Jaynno on Feb 28, 2018, 8:22:19 PM
Will definitely do this one as a starter in less than 48hrs.

Do you perhaps have a Pastebin link so I can input into PoB.

I will mostly run SR totem and RF on myself. I don't know if this will be a wiser choice or not.
How should I set up the gems if I do it that way as a playstyle?

Thank you
"
Shinohiko wrote:
Will definitely do this one as a starter in less than 48hrs.

Do you perhaps have a Pastebin link so I can input into PoB.

I will mostly run SR totem and RF on myself. I don't know if this will be a wiser choice or not.
How should I set up the gems if I do it that way as a playstyle?

Thank you

then you're in the wrong buildguide.

This build is designed to use "Righteous Fire Totems", not Righteous Fire with Totems.

It is possible to use RF with the Character in this build, but it is not designed to do it and thus would have waaay more problems with that playstyle than dedicated selfcast-RF build.

Will clarify this in the guide as well
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
Last edited by Milkyslice on Feb 28, 2018, 10:47:40 PM
Added a Path of Building sections

note that some links might not display correct dmg or regen numbers after some updates, since currently some Nodes or Skills aren´t updated and simulated via special property flasks or Configurations.

Overall the Patchnodes didn´t change anything. Will make some minor tweaks in the guide (like adding notes that its NOT a rf + srt build) today and/or tomorrow.

I will also make a post for the Hierophant in particular and why i choosed him.

edit: didi it

Why Hierophant?

On the first look it's a good question because RFT do not stack. But Scorching Ray does.
Lets go about thr big selling points:

+ 2 extra totems. This greatly increases our RFT screen coverage and SRT singletarget dmg. It is easier to sqeeze in a decoy totem as well. One extra totem per lab makes leveling way smoother and doesnt require Ancestral Bond.

+ 90% totem placementspeed. It's huge for a smooth gameplay and also safer if your animationd are shorter. This combined with the better area coverage covers the missing 40% more dmg of the old berserker somewhat.
+ dmg on kill. Not that significant, but also helps covering the berserker multiplier a bit more for rare mobs.
+ 0.5% Life/Manaregen per totem for you and the totems. This is huge and almost alone enables MoM for us.

It's worth noting that 0.5% manaregen of 2000 mana are 10 flat manaregen which scales again with manaregen%! Thats the equivalent of a lvl 9 clarity... for 1 totem. We use 5.
The manaregen can be so high that it refills the pool in 3-4 sec completely.

this combined with the good liferegen and 40% mom gives us good substain which can be even pushed further (arcane surge, stone golem etc).

+ 10% MoM and flat mana. Nice synergy with the high manaregen and reduces the pressure on our lifepool. Worth noting that you still can cast RFT if your mana hits 0!

+ Power/Endurance charge generation. Not that important, but it lets us drop 2 gems: cri on OoS and Enduring Cry. The 5% less elemental dmg taken in that node is useful as well.

+ The minor nodes grant a shitton of manaregen, maxmana, placementspeed and charge duration

Berserker has nice dmg per totem, but ultimately will deal less singletarget dmg since swapping SRT outperforms the lower totem count. The substain got worse and the inc dmg taken is worse in 3.2 due to some higher monster dmg.

Last edited by Milkyslice on Mar 1, 2018, 12:24:38 AM
Any ideas on how to get more survivability and especially sustain as Hierophant ? I don't really like having regen as only way to sustain, as it means -60% recovery maps or no regen maps will be really annoying/more dangerous than they should.

I feel the berserker's heal on warcry was a huge quality of life, and i'll miss that.
"
Axylxys wrote:
Any ideas on how to get more survivability and especially sustain as Hierophant ? I don't really like having regen as only way to sustain, as it means -60% recovery maps or no regen maps will be really annoying/more dangerous than they should.

I feel the berserker's heal on warcry was a huge quality of life, and i'll miss that.

I don't have the excact numbers of the PoB setup in my mind, i think it was over 11% liferegen and over 25% manaregen (of the remaining mana).

Then we got decoy totem ready all the time with very fast placement, some ele dmg reduction, MoM for a higher total hp, Blasphemy + temporal chains to not even get hit in the first place, endurance charges, fortify, 5 defensive/utility flaskslots since there are no good offensive ones, a rather passive gameplay anyway and you can cut some dmg for survivability or cycle some gems.

About those two mapmods, they are a pain ofc.

Less recovery can be fine with an adjusted playstyle, but no regen can be horrible. I agree with that and would just reroll it.

Berserkers warcry on the flipside also got worse for those mods. The warcry recovers 60% less hp as well.

No regen + warcry got worse as well with the fury mechanic. Assuming you spam it most of the time its a constant 4-5% lifedegen which ticks for 2 sec until the next one is ready. Its basically just a 15-17% heal in that scenario.

Lets not forget the monster dmg changes which makes the 10% inc dmg taken downside even more significant.

For more survivability my first big step would be cutting the firedmg cluster above the witch and grab the marauder start lifenodes and mana/regen nodes

Mmh, seems like there is no really good solution to this indeed. I guess no regen can be doable with rf totem spam as they cost no mana, flask charge regen ascendancy and careful playing. I just feel like running unid maps is a huge bonus as a league starter, especially for a totem or minion build, so i'll definitely have to find a way around that.

As a side node, thanks a lot for the build and detailled answers. I played it back in 3.0 beta and it was great fun, so looking forward to do it for real now in a league even if the zerk heal was really fun back then, hopefully i can get into Hiero too.

Anyway you're really helpful and i especially like the visual build guide with colored paths, gonna be on my 2nd screen for the whole week-end. :D

This thread is definitely one of the best ressources out there, always updated with all that is needed.
"
RFT Degen Calculation:

RF deals 22.5% damage based on the max life per second with 75% fire resistance.

Spelltotems take 45% less damage from all sources.

This means the totem only degens for 12.375% life per second.
Hierophant grants the totem 1% liferegen per totem, we use up to 5 totems. This results in 7.375% lifedegen per sec or a 13.55 sec uptime if it takes no other dmg... longer than it needs to stay around (enemys ripped, replacing..)

Can you give us more details how you calculate all of this ? (specially the "45% less damage from all sources").

EDIT: Oh sorry, I didn't see this line in the wiki:

"
As of patch Version 3.0.0, summoned totems have 45% less life and take 45% less damage. This will impact life leeched from attacking enemy totems and the damage dealt by Righteous Fire totems. THE TABLE BELOW DOES NOT REFLECT THESE CHANGES!
Last edited by lucskywalker92 on Mar 1, 2018, 4:31:12 AM
"
Axylxys wrote:
Mmh, seems like there is no really good solution to this indeed. I guess no regen can be doable with rf totem spam as they cost no mana, flask charge regen ascendancy and careful playing. I just feel like running unid maps is a huge bonus as a league starter, especially for a totem or minion build, so i'll definitely have to find a way around that.

As a side node, thanks a lot for the build and detailled answers. I played it back in 3.0 beta and it was great fun, so looking forward to do it for real now in a league even if the zerk heal was really fun back then, hopefully i can get into Hiero too.

Anyway you're really helpful and i especially like the visual build guide with colored paths, gonna be on my 2nd screen for the whole week-end. :D

This thread is definitely one of the best ressources out there, always updated with all that is needed.

thank you very much, it's always tough to figure out how deep i should go in the guide to keep it easy for beginner while covering advanced options for veterans. There is a big gap between players on their first 'real' build and someone who can afford essence crafted elder/shaper items on day 3 and farm a headhunter in a week. ;)
I could for excample add the top 6 mods per itemslot, 4 toprolls on jewels and so on... which can drastically change gemoptions, the skilltree etc.
Hell you could even go for a CI occultist version with a heavy curse focus which would deal less dmg but is near immortal ;)

No regen/less Recovery makes ofc everything harder, but proper flasks can counter a bit with a safer playstyle. wouldnt do a unid guardian map with unknown mods tho, that can be pretty risky :x

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info