Lightning Strike

you didnt get my points man.

I am saying that I want viable alternatives to those few op builds. Either nerf the op builds or buff the less good things like LS.

I dont like to play in party with 4 of 6 using freezing pulse and the others are rangers that kill whole screens of monsters within seconds.

The thing with the accuracy/dex is that it is not viable. You dont get a high enaugh accuracy rating so that you can pass on RT.

Why is it there then? If I anyway needa go for RT why need I accuracy nodes close to templar starting point.

Same with this +1000hp chest. It is way too good. Basically it is only viable to go for 2hand 6S weapon + this chest with freezing pulse or you play op ranger or a witch with freezing pulse. Or totems. Many other builds, especially real melee builds dont exist/suck.

Why is that. I t must be increased no matter how. But sure you know the only way to do it. Chaining or splash damage was just an example. If it gets op then you could reduce dmg to balance it whatever. I honestly dont care how they do it, it just has to be done :-)

p.s: just see how easy the freezing pulse witch get critical strike chance. 70%+ nothing special. melee without RT has about 75% hit chance (lol). And csc way worse. Also melee needs to walk close, needs to tank more dps therefore (while every ranger has the same armor/hp as a maurauder/templar eg.). ranger = 4x higher killing speed than LS build. Freezing pulse 2xhigher killing speed. easy fix, dont think much, just do it.

another idea: increas critical strike chance for melee weapons to 10-20% base (swords etc). this would maybe fix alot.
Last edited by LSN on Mar 3, 2013, 10:01:34 AM
This Skill would in my opinion be easier and better to handle if it worked liked Groundslam so Kiting Mobs would be much easier , i kind of have hard time using it to Kite due to the mechanic of not being able to just "cast" it where i stand.
First of all I would like to thank anyone in advance who even attempts to tackle my long ass post here.

I understand that 10% increase in melee weapon modifier isn't effecting melee attacks but the weapon itself so please take that into consideration with my formulas.

From what I gather from reading this thread Lightning Strike works like this.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Melee Portion:

(Weapon Damage)*(Any modifier that effects melee, your weapon, and lightning damage additively)

Example: (100 "Weapon Damage")*(1+(.3 "30% increased lightning" + .2 "20% increased one handed weapon damage")

100 * 1.5 = 150

150 = Total of melee phase (outputted as physical)

Ranged Portion:

Part 1: (Weapon Damage * .7) / 2) = z
z(1+(anything that effects projectile + anything that effects physical + anything that effects your weapon)) --> Physical Damage

Part 2: (Weapon Damage *.7) / 2 = y
y(1+(anything that effects projectile + anything that effects lightning + anything that effects your weapon)) --> Lightning Damage

Example:

Part 2: (100 * .7) /2 = 35
35(1+(.3 "30% increased projectile + .2 "20% increased one hand weapon damage + .5 "50% increased lightning"))

100 * 2 = 200

Also I was wondering if that weapon damage included elementals added to the weapon itself. Weapon damage = 50 physical + 25 ice + 25 lightning = 100

I guess my point of confusion is when the modifiers are applied in the formula. Lets say I have that weapon listed above.

50 + 25 ice + 25 lightning = Weapon base stats
(50+(25(1+(anything that effects ice on weapon)+(25(1+(anything effects lightning on weapon))) * (anything that modifies the damage on the weapon you are using)

Example:

(50+(25*2)+(25*2)= 150
150 * (50% increase on daggers + 50% increase on one handed melee weapons) = 300

This method would take out "anything that effects your weapon damage" and apply it to weapon damage.

So actually the formula

"Part 2: (Weapon Damage *.7) / 2 = y
y(1+(anything that effects projectile + anything that effects lightning + anything that effects your weapon)) --> Lightning Damage"

would really read like this

"Part 2: y(1+(anything that effects projectile + anything that effects lightning)) --> lightning damage"

Because weapon damage is calculated with the weapon modifiers such as increase to claws and increase to one handed melee weapons first rather than later.

Sorry if I got long winded or if I poorly explained my thoughts. I tried my best.
Thanks for anyone that takes the time to even read this. I think this would clear up a lot for me.
Last edited by Veal on Mar 6, 2013, 2:31:56 AM
I did a full write-up on how to calculate Lightning Strike's damage on the previous page.
Ya I read that. I reread it and I got a little more out of it the second time around. I guess it's because I am too tired but it seems like it could be simplified a lot. I think my second set of formulas basically is a simplified version of what you have. Or maybe it is just simpler to my learning style.

I think what I was mistaken on is physical damage. The elemental portion is not modified by the increased melee buffs because they those passives state physical.

So basically 50 physical + 25 ice + 25 lightning only 50 damage of that would be modified by the increase physical damage on weapons, one handers, and melee buffs.

However what you are saying is that fire counts as physical as well as elemental? So basically fire would be modified by those buffs in addition to elemental buffs and fire buffs?

So lets say we have 100 physical + 25 fire on a weapon the melee portion would go like this..

(100+(1+(melee plus physical modifiers that apply to your weapon)) + (25(1+(physical modifiers+fire modifiers+elemental modifiers))

Lets say we have 50% total increased physical modification 25% fire modification and 25% elemental modification we would be looking at 100% increased to that 25 fire on the weapon?

Last edited by Veal on Mar 6, 2013, 3:03:31 AM
Nvm, I misread the fire part.
Also you are taking in damage conversion into play but I see nothing anywhere that would convert physical damage to anything that isn't directly built into another skill.
"
Veal wrote:
However what you are saying is that fire counts as physical as well as elemental? So basically fire would be modified by those buffs in addition to elemental buffs and fire buffs?

Answering just in case someone else pops up and is wondering why that happens; I know you re-read it :)

The Fire damage comes from 'Damage based on Physical'; the Added Fire Damage support gem to be exact. In these cases, it also benefits from whatever the "source" benefits from.

"
Veal wrote:
Also you are taking in damage conversion into play but I see nothing anywhere that would convert physical damage to anything that isn't directly built into another skill.

Lightning Strike itself converts half your Physical damage to Lightning :P
I use Lightning Strike with Fork and Life on Hit supporting it. It's so effective, I'll be hard-pressed replacing it until I find some good gems later on. Massive Crowd Control with Heals mixed in. EPIC SKILL.
Hi, quick questions regarding whether or not some passives work with lightning strike.

Will the +x% lightning damage + shock passives right by the Shadow starting area increase lightning strike projectile damage?

Does Arcing Blows (%30 increased lightning damage with weapons) only apply to lightning damage (when its a mod) on weapons or does it also apply to the lightning strike projectile damage?

Thanks

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info