Lightning Strike

When observing Lightning Strike in use, it seems to me that it can't miss when attacking an enemy with the melee compenent of the skill.

Is this how it actually works, and is it intentional? I can't see anything in the description that indicates that it, if used as a melee attack, can't miss.
"
Khargan wrote:
When observing Lightning Strike in use, it seems to me that it can't miss when attacking an enemy with the melee compenent of the skill.

Is this how it actually works, and is it intentional? I can't see anything in the description that indicates that it, if used as a melee attack, can't miss.

the last line of the skill gem's mouseover of the gem itself, will show this information. if the melee part hit, the projectiles part always hits if they touch something.
My weapon hits for 1k dmg every second (staff),i dont have any Melee Physical Increase nodes only Physical Damage with weapons,does that mean that lvl 1 LS projectile hits for 700 dmg?

Mark is there a chance that You will add projectiles damage to skill description,would make life so much easier.
IGN:Vraarz
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
the last line of the skill gem's mouseover of the gem itself, will show this information. if the melee part hit, the projectiles part always hits if they touch something.

I might have failed to convey what I was trying to say properly, or perhaps I just misunderstand your reply, but my question was if it is intentional that the melee part, not the projectiles, can't miss.

It seems to me that what you call "the melee part" can't miss at all if you attack within melee reach of your target.
yes, i misread then, the melee hit CAN miss.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Dec 13, 2012, 7:02:37 PM
The melee attack definitely can miss.
After reading through, am I right to say nodes with "Melee Damage" does not increase the projectile created?

Does "Arcing Blow" increase the damage from projectile too?
The projectiles are not Melee Damage, and thus do not benefit from Melee Damage bonuses.
Arcing Blows increases Lightning Damage dealt with all Attacks. LS' projectiles are Attacks (weapon-damage and all of that), and thus do benefit.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
I'm assuming you're talking about modifiers like "6% increased physical damage with one-handed melee weapons". In such cases, the wording is technically talking about a property of the weapon, not the damage. This is as opposed to "10% increased melee damage".
If you're wondering why I chose those ones specifically, it's because those are the first two I found in the templar area when I checked the passive tree.

If, for example, you use lightning strike with a one-handed sword, and the projectiles hit something, then "increased melee damage" will not apply, because this is projectile damage, not melee. However, that damage is from a sword, and a sword is a melee weapon, so "increased physical damage with one-handed melee weapons" will apply (and likewise so will "increased damage with swords", etc).

I am not entirely happy with this current situation due to it being potentially confusing, but given how the bonuses are worded, it it the correct behavior such that both are applied as they say they are.

Wait, so if I take a node that adds +10% to melee physical damage (a node that encompasses all melee weapons), I will get absolutely no bonus to my projectile damage, yet, if I take a node that adds +6% to one-handed physical damage, I'll receive the increased damage to my projectiles as long as I'm using a one handed weapon?

That's how I read your post, and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Both nodes increase physical melee damage, one is just more specific as to what type of weapon than the other. Or am I misunderstanding you?
No, only the melee damage node increases the physical melee damage. Including unarmed, btw.
The "One handed Melee weapon" node increases the damage of swords, daggers, axes, scepters, maces, and claws wielded in one hand, whether that be melee damage or projectile damage.
Right now, Lightning Strike is the only skill that allows those weapons to deal projectile damage, but if there was a hypothetical skill that allowed you to throw your dagger, that, too, would profit from "One Handed Melee Weapon Damage".
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info