[3.8] What a Shocking Tri-Element Trapper! [Fire/Ice Trap build][UberAtziri/Shaper Video]

So I've been playing this build and I've been liking it a lot. This has been my Harbinger starter build and I'm currently level 51. Anyway, I recently gathered enough Chromatic orbs to roll 2green 2blue on Deerstalkers to add Innervate as a support gem to Shock Nova.

And I've discovered Innervate will not support it. Is this because it's linked with Trap from deer stalkers? Did this just occur from a recent update? I'm not certain what is going on but I never gain Innervation when killing mobs with Shock Nova and the Support Icon doesn't show up on the Ability Icon. Been hoping to shock more frequently by adding Innervate but I only get a 20% chance across the board.

Regards and thanks for the build, hoping to take it far this league.
"
Sozaphraxtal wrote:
So I've been playing this build and I've been liking it a lot. This has been my Harbinger starter build and I'm currently level 51. Anyway, I recently gathered enough Chromatic orbs to roll 2green 2blue on Deerstalkers to add Innervate as a support gem to Shock Nova.

And I've discovered Innervate will not support it. Is this because it's linked with Trap from deer stalkers? Did this just occur from a recent update? I'm not certain what is going on but I never gain Innervation when killing mobs with Shock Nova and the Support Icon doesn't show up on the Ability Icon. Been hoping to shock more frequently by adding Innervate but I only get a 20% chance across the board.

Sadly, the Innervate effect only applies to the target that killed the enemy, which in a Trappers case is the Trap itself, which in term means that you do not gain any of the "On Kill" effects. Since 3.0, I am indeed no longer certain if the 20% extra Shock adds up onto the 20% of Shock Nova. It does not say so. I am gonna ask around for that one. Until then, either run Crit Chance/Elemental Proliferation/Crit Damage, maybe even Lightning Penetration or Added Lightning Damage to stay on the safe side (Hard to tell which one is better after Added Lightning/Cold Damage got buffed... Makes me wonder if Added Cold Damage is better than Cold Penetration now. Testing, testing).

Update: Alright, I asked around and looks like the Chance to Shock from Shock Nova and Innervate should stack. And since Innervate now adds Lightning Damage, it should have an easier time to Shock folks!
Last edited by MrMoho on Aug 11, 2017, 7:25:23 AM
"
MrMoho wrote:
"
Sozaphraxtal wrote:

Sadly, the Innervate effect only applies to the target that killed the enemy, which in a Trappers case is the Trap itself, which in term means that you do not gain any of the "On Kill" effects. Since 3.0, I am indeed no longer certain if the 20% extra Shock adds up onto the 20% of Shock Nova. It does not say so. I am gonna ask around for that one. Until then, either run Crit Chance/Elemental Proliferation/Crit Damage, maybe even Lightning Penetration or Added Lightning Damage to stay on the safe side (Hard to tell which one is better after Added Lightning/Cold Damage got buffed... Makes me wonder if Added Cold Damage is better than Cold Penetration now. Testing, testing).

Update: Alright, I asked around and looks like the Chance to Shock from Shock Nova and Innervate should stack. And since Innervate now adds Lightning Damage, it should have an easier time to Shock folks!

That sounds great - but I'm confused because the tiny letter icon for Innervate does not show up on the ability icon for Shock Nova when linked. Doesn't that mean there is no support being applied at all? If it's being applied to the traps (like all the other supports in the link) then it should show up on the ability icon to indicate being "active". I also cannot detect any difference between having it socketed or not when testing on my own. For now elemental proliferation has been great as a substitute, alongside conductivity/elemental weakness but I'm thoroughly puzzled.
Last edited by Sozaphraxtal on Aug 11, 2017, 7:34:28 AM
"
Sozaphraxtal wrote:

That sounds great - but I'm confused because the tiny letter icon for Innervate does not show up on the ability icon for Shock Nova when linked. Doesn't that mean there is no support being applied at all? If it's being applied to the traps (like all the other supports in the link) then it should show up on the ability icon to indicate being "active". I also cannot detect any difference between having it socketed or not when testing on my own. For now elemental proliferation has been great as a substitute, alongside conductivity/elemental weakness but I'm thoroughly puzzled.

Oh, oh my, you are right. It does not connect anymore with Trap skills. I totally missed that (probably because I used Elemental Proliferation). Welp, RIP, Innervate, you will be missed.

Gotta take it out of my build. This kinda really sucks, actually. Anyways, as I said, go Elemental Proliferation, Lightning Damage/Penetration, Crit Chance/Damage.
dear sir, i wanna try this build. do you have a PathofBuild so that i can just put it in the app to look at?
Do you think Tinkerskin Sadist Garb could be a good option to Carcass Jack? Frenzy charges and phasing with a bit of an life/ES recovery sounds good
Still can't decide a shadow build to play haha but yours are on the top 2
"
Samsonite32 wrote:
Do you think Tinkerskin Sadist Garb could be a good option to Carcass Jack? Frenzy charges and phasing with a bit of an life/ES recovery sounds good

Sadly, in its current state, Tinkerskin cannot compete with Carcass Jack. All the little things it give sounds nice, but sadly aren't enough. Reduced Trap Cooldown barely helps, Phasing is nice here and there, but is honestly just a fun little quirk to have, the Life and ES gain isn't great, but not tooooo bad, and Frenzy Charges, well, they actually are pretty bad as a Trapper. Trappers only get bonus from the 5% flat damage increase they offer and none from the Attack/Casting Speed.

Still, it is a nice, cheap option to start mapping with. However, once you get the cash for it, go replace it with a Carcass Jack.
I'm playing this build now, what should we use in Pantheon system?
"
I'm playing this build now, what should we use in Pantheon system?

Good question, really. The Pantheon offers either mediocre defensive and supportive abilities overall or really useful once for rather specific situations. It all comes down to personal preference, while constantly mixing it up. I prefer using Arakaali for the major ones, since chaos damage over time is a pain with Mind over Matter. However, Soul of Lunaris for projectile heavy bosses or Solaris in maps with extra crit rolled on them are also fine picks, whatever seems more appropriate at the moment.

Same with the small Souls. I tend to use Abberath, since burning ground is pretty annoying with ES, and the reduced ignite duration is also quite fancy. Past that, they are all a good pick except for the Soul of Tukohama.
Last edited by MrMoho on Aug 13, 2017, 4:08:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info