Chance to Ignite

burning damage is always 133% extra damage based off the fire damage delt (except with burning damage boost passives), in no way is it weak on its own. of course crit based application is better, crits are flat multiplier damage.

burning arrow already has chance to ignite so either have 30% extra fire damage, or 30% chance for multiplying your damage delt. weapon elemental support is smart, boosting fire even further and this also burning whenever burning arrow procs. fire penetration is just as valuable as weapon elemental damage, less res the foe has, the more damage both fire and burning does.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Dec 19, 2012, 1:40:55 AM
Well, I currently do a BA Templar, and I certainly intend to use RT and Chance to ignite.
I'll miss the added fire damage, but I suppose a decent Blackgleam (There's still rumors about a new AoF) adds enough fire damage for burn.
Yes, for pure dps/bosses, I'd probably take out ignite and proliferation and insert added fire and another damage gem.
With some burn duration and burn damage bonuses, I think 250% of fire damage as AOE burn is doable; not necessarily weak.
Sure, it might not reach D2 Plague Javelin, but it's workable.
DoT builds are per definition never about killspeed.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
If you want to use Burning to kill stuff, getting resist-reduction is doubly important. A monster with 50% resist takes half initial damage, and then halves the burning damage again. 75% resist, and the Burn might as well not be there.
Well, the Fire Penetration is really all you need.
On reachable levels, it reduces enemy resists (unless they have high level Purity support) to a maximum of 35%.
That's actually pretty bearable.
In that case, I'd prefer Vulnerability, as I can stack it with a Poison cloud for double the fun.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
The Burning wouldn't benefit from the Fire Pen though, I'm fairly certain. It's an effect separate from the skill FP is linked to, after all.

Regardless, that's still a very large reduction in Burn strength.
At 0% resists: 100 Fire damage, 33 dps Burn
At 35% resist: 65 Fire damage, 14 dps Burn
At -20% resist: 120 Fire damage, 48 dps Burn
At -60% resist: 160 Fire damage, 85 dps Burn
So that's more than -50% damage on the Burn, assuming the Burn even benefits from the FPen at all (the Burn would deal 5.5 dps if it doesn't, which is what I think happens). Inversely, -20% resist adds nearly 50% damage to the Burn. At -60%, the Burn adds 100% to your Fire DPS, as opposed to 33% normally.

35% is bearable, yes, but if you're going for Burn damage, -resists are just too good to pass up on. Heck, Flammability adds Ignite Chance, which is the main goal.
to get that low, someone would be using both (fire pen + flamibility) or all three(add ele weakness), maybe somehow also EE but thats going a bit silly.

lv 16 of all three reductions is -130% (or 40 +45 +45). so either -30% res for mobs (guessing hardest mode uses 100% res) or -130%. which translates to 1.3 times fire damage or total of 1.69 increase for burning and 2.3 times fire damage or 5.29 total boost to burning. i'm starting to think burning isn't affected twice by res.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
i'm starting to think burning isn't affected twice by res.

http://web-grindinggear.netdna-ssl.com/forum/view-thread/23775/filter-account-type/staff
Answer to the second quote; Burning is effected by Resists :)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 19, 2012, 6:32:08 PM
Thr problem is that merciless fire resist mobs may have up to 125% resists, of which only 75% weight in.
Fire penetration ignores those excess resists, -35% resist still ends at 40%;
Using Flamability and Elemental Weakness for an 80% reduction will cost a significant amount of mana and time, for just 30% less resistance, when that investment could be used for Vulnerability (more dot, would stack with flamability) or just killing the targets with more fire damage.
Or any other damage.
Zaanus:

___
Yes, the very top-tier Fire Resistant mobs won't take a spectacular amount of damage. That... Makes a lot of sense.

"Fire penetration ignores those excess resists, -35% resist still ends at 40%;
Using Flamability and Elemental Weakness for an 80% reduction will cost a significant amount of mana and time, for just 30% less resistance"
Which is why you grab 'em all three for maximum effect. Burn Damage is just not worth the effort if you leave guys with such resists.

"Or any other damage."
If you're going to use other damage sources, Chance to Ignite is a pointless support gem in the first place, if you ask me. :P It only works if you really go for Burning Damage, hence this whole conversation.
The point is, if the mob has 125% fire resist, with 75% effective, and you cast Curses worth 80% less resist, the target will end up at 45% resist, or close to 0 with penetration.
Penetration alone will already bring it down to 30-35%, and save you a huge heap mana with which you can add a poison arrow or just shoot more fire; Curses are expensive.
Or you use a secondary skill, if you go as far as having two high level curses and the equipment to stack them, you might as well just have a secondary spell of another element to use instead.
Also it's worth noting that while against resistant mobs, stacking resist drops is the best, against enemies where penetration alone results in 0 resists or lower, Vulnerability would have a greater effect on burn damage, though not on initial damage and thus not on total burn, as well.
Vulnerability would have that effect with puncture, though.

How did we even get to this discussion?
0.o
Zaanus:

___

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info