Added Cold Damage

Can someone explain me why added cold is sucha a shitty support for melee chars? Why can't it be like added fire? 20% cold on top?
Last edited by Dzwonsson on Feb 8, 2014, 5:07:20 PM
Because you already have Hatred for that.

If they made both Added Cold and Added Lightning function the same as Added Fire, then any non-Physical Damage setup loses two Supports, and only Physical Damage setups gain two. It's so there's some diversity in Supports.
"
Dzwonsson wrote:
Can someone explain me why added cold is sucha a shitty support for melee chars? Why can't it be like added fire? 20% cold on top?

Is it really crap? Even for a 1h glacial hammer templar? Glacial hammer + life leech + melee phys dmg + weapon ele dmg + added cold damage + cold penetration? Is multistrike a lot better for dps and for proccing a freeze on a boss if you have elemental damage and weapon ele dmg bonuses?
multistrike will actually hurt freeze "chance" and duration due to the damage reduction. status effects care more for the damage dealt.

i'm not suggesting this for a change, but i wonder why there isn't any hybrid of the two boosts? such as 10% <element here> plus 10 - 25 <same element>. technically running both added cold and hatred provides this... but so does anger and added fire. so in "that" case, it'll make lightning damage the oddball. *shrugs*
That is maybe because the "lightning themed" weapons like Daggers and Wands would benefit less from a percentual mod. They do not provide as much physical power as the heavy melee weapons.

Added cold btw is a nice support for freeze mine. Throw in cold penetration and elemental proliferation and you have an awesome freeze tool.
seems like it could use a 10% dmg buff.
people use this gem?
"
zephiroth3 wrote:
seems like it could use a 10% dmg buff.

Yeah, i feel like damage from this gem is underwhelming.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
I like to use this gem on lightning skills to provide some flat damage that raises the minimum damage floor. It's not that great for actual cold skills and it's probably inefficient on lightning skills (compared to pen or even more added lightning) but it's a nice psychological buffer.
"
Hemmingfish wrote:
I like to use this gem on lightning skills to provide some flat damage that raises the minimum damage floor. It's not that great for actual cold skills and it's probably inefficient on lightning skills (compared to pen or even more added lightning) but it's a nice psychological buffer.

Q20 light pen will probably give more damage than that, even on NPCs that are not resistant on lightning and the penetration goes to waste.

For cold skills you might as well use Hypothermia. Hypothermia is useless against most serious bosses, but so is added cold because the bosses have resists and need Cold Pen instead. Then again, cold spells are sub-par in general for that since they are freeze immune and you get no compensation for it.

There is no scenario where this gem is worth it even for a cold focused build really.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info