Sweep

"
TheAshmaker wrote:
This gem really needs a buff. Such a fun skill but outclassed by many other melee attacks.

Guess what?

They just double nerfed its AoE.
So...

I know that skills like Sweep and Cleave have its own base radius they create upon attacking which is 20. Cyclone on the other hand doesn't do that - it is depended on weapon range.

Can someone from the DEVs please explain the reason behind this?

Wouldn't it be logical if Sweep AoE (and Cleave AoE etc.) would benefit from the "+x to Weapon Range" modifier? Why they don't benefit from this mechanic at all while cyclone does?

I would really like to see, for consistancy and mechanics reason, that Sweep would benefit from the weapon range modifier and base weapon range to scale its AoE.

Suggestion:
Don't make it scale multiplicativly, that would probably by too strong, but let it scale additivly after AoE modifiers. Maybe lower the base AoE to 15 in the process to counter the addition of base weapon range of 2-handed weapons.

example:
[2 (character) + 20 (base AoE)] * [x% increased AoE modifier] + [x weaponrange + x additional weapon range]

"
Wiesl_1404 wrote:
Wouldn't it be logical if Sweep AoE (and Cleave AoE etc.) would benefit from the "+x to Weapon Range" modifier?
[..]I would really like to see, for consistancy and mechanics reason, that Sweep would benefit from the weapon range modifier and base weapon range to scale its AoE.

They don't use the weapon's range as it stands, so why would it make sense for them to scale with +weapon range modifiers? 'But Cyclone does it' is a terrible reason, considering it's the sole exception. If consistency is your goal, look towards the snowflake.

----
Scaling them with weapon range is a needless radius reduction for one-handed attacks.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 19, 2016, 12:50:59 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Wiesl_1404 wrote:
Wouldn't it be logical if Sweep AoE (and Cleave AoE etc.) would benefit from the "+x to Weapon Range" modifier?
[..]I would really like to see, for consistancy and mechanics reason, that Sweep would benefit from the weapon range modifier and base weapon range to scale its AoE.

They don't use the weapon's range as it stands, so why would it make sense for them to scale with +weapon range modifiers? 'But Cyclone does it' is a terrible reason, considering it's the sole exception. If consistency is your goal, look towards the snowflake.

----
Scaling them with weapon range is a needless radius reduction for one-handed attacks.

Doesn't Sweep only work with 2-handed melee weapons? If that is correct your last point would be irrelevant.
Why wouldn't it make sense to let the + weapon range modifier apply to benefit the skill and in terms of consistancy? Why Cyclone doesn't have a base AoE like Cleave or sweep for the same reason?

We could ask many questions regarding this topic but only GGG can give the answer to that.

PS: Sry i was wrong in my initial post - Sweep has a base range of 26 since 2.0 not 20 as i stated.
"
Wiesl_1404 wrote:
Doesn't Sweep only work with 2-handed melee weapons? If that is correct your last point would be irrelevant.

1. You mentioned Cleave multiple times. You're clearly not talking about Sweep and Sweep alone.
2. Many Attacks function with one- and two-handed Attacks; Cleave for example.

"
Wiesl_1404 wrote:
Why wouldn't it make sense to let the + weapon range modifier apply to benefit the skill and in terms of consistancy?

It'd become a case of "X benefits from +X, but also +Y". X and X are consistent, they are worded the same way ('Radius'), X and Y are not consistent ('Radius' vs. 'Weapon Range').

Additionally:
The current consistent behaviour is that AoE Attacks do not scale with Weapon Range. There is one exception to this: Cyclone. If you want all Skills to conform to the same norm, then change the odd one out, rather than literally everything except the one exception.

Or, let Skills be different, using different values to determine radius and thus benefit from different modifiers? *shrug*

--------
Note, I'm not questioning your idea - I'm questioning your reasoning for said idea.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 19, 2016, 7:49:42 PM
the nerf to sweep`s aoe is totally not understandable. so underused, there are only 1-2 builds with it on the forums.
"
TaKsim wrote:
the nerf to sweep`s aoe is totally not understandable. so underused, there are only 1-2 builds with it on the forums.

Indeed. All I see in game are CoC builds that leave all spellcasters standing in the mud, and an occasional "melee" build, like Reave.

It is all become a bit strange to me why Sweep needed to be nerfed.

Why?
Don't Touch my Sweep please GGG!
I have noticed something very wrong with sweep. I tried to make a build with Sweep with the Trypanon mace, wich "always" crits. It does so perfectly with things like groundslam, icecrash etc., but it totally fails to crit al the targets i hit when i use sweep ? My chance to hit is like 94%, but yet it just creates very few casts when sweeping in a big mob.

Can some sweepers try to confirm what i am seeing here ? Maybe this is a bug ?
Last edited by JohnnyHorsecock on Apr 16, 2016, 10:04:25 AM
"
I have noticed something very wrong with sweep. I tried to make a build with Sweep with the Trypanon mace, wich "always" crits. It does so perfectly with things like groundslam, icecrash etc., but it totally fails to crit al the targets i hit when i use sweep ? My chance to hit is like 94%, but yet it just creates very few casts when sweeping in a big mob.

Can some sweepers try to confirm what i am seeing here ? Maybe this is a bug ?

A bit late, but since I am playing a Sweep build in essense league, I have seen the same behaviour.

it often happens on Temp chain maps, and I think I know why:

Once you start the Sweep animation (with multistrike), any monsters walking/jumping into the range will not get hit unless the multistrike sweep "cycle" starts again.

This is never a problem on normal maps, since I attack so fast it hardly is noticable, but I do see it happen occasionally in Temp Chain maps.

And GGG, if you DARE to touch sweep again with some form in direct or indirect nerf, I will not be a happy Panda!
Don't Touch my Sweep please GGG!
"
Sweep: Area of effect increased by 30% (from 20 to 26), and no longer knocks enemies back beyond the max radius.

Will this ever be changed and if not is there a reason for it to stay that way?

The reason I'm asking is because I was trying to make a pseudo vaal cyclone build by using multi-strike and sweep with as much aeo increase I could find and 100% knockback chance with Empire's Grasp. I found out about the behaviour too late when the build was already finished since the gem description didn't mention it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info