Firestorm

"
soul4hdwn wrote:
i'm glad you're explaining your experiences to the devs and other players =p, i already know how nice and not nice firestorm is.

sorry for the mis-interpretation of when you said damage. when i joke with math, either my time delay (with full quality) or your damage reduction comes out to roughly the same. wonder if my other idea is reasonable.

Problem of time delay I think is mobs are potentially more likely to run through a firestorm and take no damage at all. High frequency is good to reduce this kind of behaviour.

If anything I'd like frequency to be increased. Duration could be reduced. So you can't stack firestorms quite as much, but they do their damage faster which reduces the issue with faster mobs that move out almost as soon as you're done casting.
i did have issues with snakes and blue mobs of movement speed next to an aura mob of movement speed. but thats about it. mind you this was without con effect and just passives based radius boosts, no cast speed and some duration.

guess i'm loss of words.
Hey guys

I have some questions about the mechanics and synergy of firestorm.
As far as I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong), unmodified firestorm works like this:
after a casttime of 1 sec, "fireballs" begin to fall from above, randomly landing within a set area, 1 ball every 0.15 sec for a duration of 1.2 sec, thus making it 8 balls (1.2 / 0.15 = 8).
Each "fireball" explodes on the ground, dealing dmg to everything within its explosion radius (pretty much the same as the explosion of a regular fireball skill, isn't it?).

Modified firestorm:
Increased AOE: makes the area where the fireballs can land larger, as well as the explosion radius of each fireball.
Concentrate effect: reduces both the landing area and the explosion radius of the fireballs, but makes each explosion stronger.
Increased duration: encreases the duration of the spell, thus increasing the total number of fireballs.

What I'm not sure about:
Faster casting: does this only affect the cast time of the spell? If so, how do I benefit from it?
20% dmg effectivenes: how exactly does this work with dmg passives and support gems like added cold dmg?
AFAIK, if I have something like 250 dmg (average) on firestorm, added 30 cold dmg, 15% increased elemental dmg and 10% increased spell dmg, it should be like this:
(250 + 30)*(1 + 0.15 + 0.10)*0.2 = 75.6 ---> firestorm deals 75.6 dmg
or is it
(250 + 30)*(1 + 0.15)*(1 + 0.10)*0.2 = 70.84 dmg?

And is this dmg applied from each fireball to each target? Or is it the dmg over the 1.2 sec duration?

And the last thing:
what exactly happens, when I cast a second firestorm on the same spot before the duration of the first one hasen't expired yet (e.g. I have a cast time of 0.65 sec and the base duration of 1.2 sec on firestorm, I cast it once, and after 0.65 sec again. Do those two casts "stack", hence more fireballs over the same area?)

I hope you can help me understand this spell better and excuse me my bad english =)
faster casting makes you cast spells faster. firestorm is a spell and it has 1 second cast speed. faster casting of 10% will make that 0.9 second casting time. get faster casting from support gem, passives, or equip.
20% damage effectiveness means total damage is that much of itself. it would be your first example attempt, all "increased" add together first then "more" boosts happen separately then damage modifier.
damage is each bolt and per target.
yes it'll "stack" meaning the previous is still going in the same spot and making another will cause both firestorms to be working on thier own. causing more total bolts in the area while the two overlap.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
faster casting makes you cast spells faster. firestorm is a spell and it has 1 second cast speed. faster casting of 10% will make that 0.9 second casting time. get faster casting from support gem, passives, or equip.
20% damage effectiveness means total damage is that much of itself. it would be your first example attempt, all "increased" add together first then "more" boosts happen separately then damage modifier.
damage is each bolt and per target.
yes it'll "stack" meaning the previous is still going in the same spot and making another will cause both firestorms to be working on thier own. causing more total bolts in the area while the two overlap.

Alright, thanks a lot. This would make increased cast speed on firestorm quite nice I guess, as well as increased duration.
"
Bannoth wrote:
Alright, thanks a lot. This would make increased cast speed on firestorm quite nice I guess, as well as increased duration.

Yes, they are very nice together especially if you get the increased skill duration and cast speed passives along with it. Firestorm is my witch's primary damage skill - It casts every .5 seconds with 3 frenzy charges, and it lasts for 2.6+ seconds, so I can have 5 of them stacked on each other for ultimate destruction!!!

It is really nice when mixed with a few summon passives so things stand still fighting your minions.
Last edited by torand on Mar 12, 2013, 7:56:54 PM
I really like Firestorm so far, Searing Touch makes it stand out even more.

I already posted this in General but I think it also has it's place in here:

Imo what keeps Firestorm a bit back is the fear portion of the ignite status.
Trying to hit fleeing mobs is impossible, so I suggest changing the fear to something which is useful to all firebuilds (i.e. something like burning enemies have 10% less stun treshold).
"
AmenAnthem wrote:

Imo what keeps Firestorm a bit back is the fear portion of the ignite status.
Trying to hit fleeing mobs is impossible, so I suggest changing the fear to something which is useful to all firebuilds (i.e. something like burning enemies have 10% less stun treshold).

Better yet. Anything that catches fire stops moving, gets down on the ground and rolls back and forth trying to put the flames out :D Complete hilarity lol.
IGN - Dapper_The_Strapper
"Stripper with a strap-on"
Hi,

is this issue known? In the socket, it shows me 39-59 Dmg, but when equipped/selected, it just shows me 11-17 Dmg. I don't know if the damage dealt is the lower or higher one.

This is due to the Damage Effectiveness. The gem tooltip does not factor in Damage Effectiveness yet (listing base damage); the Character Sheet does (it displays final damage).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info