Enduring Cry

I'm glad other people are having the same problem I'm having with the short duration of the charges. Because of the way armor and damage reduction is apparently calculated in this game, having endurance charges is practically mandatory if you want to be surviving in melee. Unfortunately, because the lasting time on the charges is so short and it's so slow to get your charges back, it effectively forces us into a very unfortunate playstyle. You have to RUSH, RUSH, and RUSH some more, both in looking at the items that dropped and in getting from pack to pack. You can't dilly-dally at all otherwise you'll lose your charges. Skim the items, then run as fast as you can to more enemies before your charges expire! To have to play at such a fast pace is tiring and sucks all the fun out of the game.

So I hope you guys can come up with some kind of solution for this. In another thread I suggested that Enduring Cry could be changed to be a bit different: +25 Endurance Charges per 100 monsters (1 per 4) would be constant, and the bonus the gem gets when leveled up would be increased charge duration. Something like 4X or 5X, where X is the gem's level. Though I don't know if it's possible for charge durations to be influenced in such a way.
Last edited by StarlightGamer on Feb 4, 2013, 11:20:47 AM
this skill gives endurance charges which are thier own thing.
taunting is a reset of mob's targeting ai and doesn't hold for long if other things are around doing stuff or closer to foes. no duration.

to boost endurance charges duration, take the passives on grid for that. there are two of them, one at templar and one at dualist.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
to boost endurance charges duration, take the passives on grid for that. there are two of them, one at templar and one at dualist.

Yes. There are two nodes on the entire massive passive tree. And they give 18% each. So that'll turn the 10 second duration into 13, 13.6, or 14 seconds, depending on how/if the game rounds the numbers. That helps, but isn't sufficient.
Going to agree with the others that said as far as taunts go, it's just not that effective. Two player, I can generally keep most things off somebody else- if that somebody else is ranged and the enemies aren't. If the enemies are ranged or the person I'm with is melee, it's a tossup as to who gets targeted. Single player, I can't even keep aggro off my own totem. If I drop a rejuv and hit taunt, the totem dies. If I taunt and then drop a rejuv, the totem dies. And not to cleave, mind you, it's clearly being targeted.
I'd like to see a few quality-of-life changes to the skill:

First, gem quality should reduce cast time. Currently there is very little reason to raise the quality of enduring cry gems, as the benefit is only really felt in a very narrow set of circumstances. Improving cast time however would make the skill much easier to use without really affecting it's power too much.

Second, the endurance charge granting calculations should weigh higher-rarity enemies heavier. It really breaks the flow of combat to be a second too late in refreshing your charges in a fight where you can't really fight without them. 90% of these situations you will be getting one charge per cry, and spending a few minutes or more doing some epic kiting until you get your max amount, usually 7.

Third, I would like to see a bit more leniency in refreshing charges that are nearly expired. Maybe a second or two after it expires where you get half your charges back, or even a visual or audio cue before the charges expire. Something that helps prevent the above mentioned flow-breaking situations where you refresh your charges too slowly and are stuck kiting and crying for a few minutes.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
"
QualityVan wrote:
Single player, I can't even keep aggro off my own totem. If I drop a rejuv and hit taunt, the totem dies. If I taunt and then drop a rejuv, the totem dies. And not to cleave, mind you, it's clearly being targeted.

Agreed. I just got done trying to use Rejuvenation Totem, but it gets destroyed almost instantly because it gets agro almost instantly. Enduring Cry's provoking was ineffective in trying to get enemies off of it.

"
First, gem quality should reduce cast time. Currently there is very little reason to raise the quality of enduring cry gems, as the benefit is only really felt in a very narrow set of circumstances. Improving cast time however would make the skill much easier to use without really affecting it's power too much.

Second, the endurance charge granting calculations should weigh higher-rarity enemies heavier. It really breaks the flow of combat to be a second too late in refreshing your charges in a fight where you can't really fight without them. 90% of these situations you will be getting one charge per cry, and spending a few minutes or more doing some epic kiting until you get your max amount, usually 7.

Both good ideas.

"
Third, I would like to see a bit more leniency in refreshing charges that are nearly expired. Maybe a second or two after it expires where you get half your charges back, or even a visual or audio cue before the charges expire. Something that helps prevent the above mentioned flow-breaking situations where you refresh your charges too slowly and are stuck kiting and crying for a few minutes.

I would also like to see something added to the charges around my character to let me know they're expiring so I can keep my eyes focused on the action instead of glancing to the top left every few seconds. Maybe have them pulsate/fade in and out like a 3 second countdown when they're about to expire.
Last edited by StarlightGamer on Feb 4, 2013, 8:35:54 PM
I am also using the Enduring Charges on the Marauder and also think they are way too short. The problem is not during a fight. But even without looting it is often hard to get to the next mob pack without losing the charges. And as this game is about loot, after defeating a mob pack I have a short look at the loot, even if it's all white, as in this game also white items can have a value, which is really great. But when looking after loot I have never a chance to get to the next pack without losing the charges.

In my opinion base time for the charges should be 20 s and with one of the two passive skills it should be increase by 50%. Or at least 25%. But 18% of 10 seconds is really ridiculous.
I just discovered I can socket multiple Enduring Cry skills and use them back to back to back. That helps tremendously with getting the charges up. In the future, I think I'll make a set on switch with a bunch of enduring cry and faster cast support gems. Or hopefully by the time such a thing is accessible to me, they'll have made getting and keeping charges less tedious and stupid.
I feel like the endurance charge mechanics and the way they are acquired make's it far less viable/fun then frenzy/power charges.

Frenzy get's charges on hit and blood rage on kill, power siphon on kill as well. These charges are also used with ranged class's the majority of the time.

Warlords mark is no where near the top of the curse list and simply is not viable in parties. Even if it was the 25% chance is too low imo( and only really works in combination with End Cry). This leaves you with enduring cry, enduring cry being based of cast speed means you either have to run away to recast or recast while taking damage in the middle of mobs (preventing you from continuing to gain life from LOH, Life steal). This becomes even more troublesome for melee as your already heavily focusing on the mob locations/potions/watching your health constantly.

So in short I feel that power/frenzy charges are far easier to use, much safer to use, and often on ranged class's that are basically just shift click characters. In a game where ranged is already better than melee and melee has more to focus on I don't see the point of making their charges some short duration based attack interrupt ability.

Solutions

1. Base Enduring cry off attack speed rather than cast speed minimizing the downtime of your attacking. (this would also make duel wield/faster attack weapons a little better)

2. Add a charge on kill % to enduring cry or another way that is not a curse.

Oh and the most viable way to use this skill ( because of how the monsters change attack priority) is to run around casting it so you don't get hit untill you have max charges(waiting for the cool down) and then attack for 7-8 seconds and repeat. How lame is that.
ign: DaEDaenarys
Last edited by BldSwtTrs on Feb 11, 2013, 6:28:17 AM
"
I just discovered I can socket multiple Enduring Cry skills and use them back to back to back. That helps tremendously with getting the charges up. In the future, I think I'll make a set on switch with a bunch of enduring cry and faster cast support gems. Or hopefully by the time such a thing is accessible to me, they'll have made getting and keeping charges less tedious and stupid.

Didn't realize this, pretty helpful.
ign: DaEDaenarys

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info