Double Strike

"
The double proc can be useful for stacking shock debuffs. - RabidRabit

This particularly.

I may be proven wrong as I play this out. But I'm building a dual wield daggers(might switch to rapiers or claws but build has daggers in mind) Since if you crit you crit with both attacks this means a 2 stack of shock every crit(unless it misses the damage threshold). On top of that it becomes a much better group ability as shock affects everyone's damage. On top of that the 40% from the first crit should apply to the 2nd crit and give you a better return on damage and therefor longer duration rather than relying on RNG to be nice twice in a row.

As others mentioned though, if the question came down to you one shotting something with another ability then by all means that is the better ability hands down. But as far as things that I can't one shot I think I'll be using this ability a lot.

I am not so sure... I found this gem very early and it is just great.. I love it.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQEAANTk5gGWWiYBzjiLBlcPbAbmyYEXFRfWJEKdoCaTIz8wCH1AND6_UjSoAXk030s8OhzTYzvFZSg-wEW7PvuZKj8HniFUeecAW9k2OHAjd-B1nRrEf0zSBIbmhQ-Opy6ij4gRWZD-fL2SPryzqHa0PayhSsGtw9oxs_XWN7QoKfq01jvju6_foL6DfOHADNxhyhYOZ82xIFfUi8Sr1isPuNjdRc3dtH8R5YNbdOaBHtb_Xnm_

I am a sword/shield marauder using double strike with increased accuracy, life gain on hit and increased physical damage. This skill affords me tons of survivability in that I get the life gain on hit twice per use.. stack that with my haste aura and im at 2.3 attacks per second and about 45-50% block and 2.3k armor at lvl 40..One cast of this and whatever trash I am fighting is dead. But I quaff mana potions like there is no tomorrow.

Everyone I asked told me I'd be using Heavy strike by now... But I murder everything quickly and it is much more satisfying than stupid slow Heavy Strike....And I don't even use Resolute Technique...
Last edited by Halfaddict on Jul 16, 2012, 5:07:42 AM
Can anyone tell me what is base mana cost for this skill at lvl 10 and 15?

I love this skill nicely balanced and fun + haste and im almost at 5 attacks per second!!!!!! I have gotten my attack speed as low as .23 and im only lvl 37!
Well, now that the inherent life on hit bonus on claws is boosted there is a point to use this over dual strike. Life on hit stacks for both weapons and that stacked value is applied on both strikes.

If you have a +3 life on hit on both claws it stacks to make a +6 life one every hit so you get that combined value applied two times using Double Strike. So, if execution speeds of both skills are the same you steal twice as much life per second then with Dual Strike which can help your survivability in close quarters considerably.
Respect your passive skills and they shall respect you in turn.
I didn't know if i should post here or on the Dual Strike thread, since it's kind of a critic about double i'll post there.

Here my current build, lvl 25 :

It's my second run, my first attempt was a glass canon and did died a lot ; so for that one i decided to invest only in defense for start and then choose some DPS skill as my back bone defense was ok. For that i choosed ES/EV combo, nothing unusual.

So now the skills. I love the double strike looks with dagger, so i was going for a shield/dagger double strike build as it was also in theory a better tank than any dual wield build ( my second option was Claw/dual strike leecher ). I say in theory, the dual wielder should be riskier imo ( well you have less armor ). But it's quite the opposite ( he doesn't tank better, but he kills mob so much faster and with no difficulties at all that it doesn't matter ).

As you see i still didn't choose any DPS skill, i founded some good weapons and shield and use swap weapons to test the 2 different approach and i have to say, even if the double strike dagger / shield looks way better imo, it's miles aways from the claw dual strike method.

I realize it supposed to do less damage, but Dual strike take so much less MP that i can spam it almost constantly without using potion, with the dagger i take down mob slowly and spam potion to be able to continue using it. And the shield doesn't provide enough defense bonus compare to how i take down mob with dual strike, as result it feels so weak that i would be stupid to go that route.

I don't know if it's an issue or not, maybe it's intended to be this way ( maybe for balance issue with bigger weapons IDK ) but it feels kind of wrong, when i look at the skill tree both build should be ok.

Well, it's just my experience.
Hope my english wasn't too bad. :)
Just wanted to post here and say that I am on my first playthrough at about level 35 for a Marauder and I am going into a 2 hand axe build.

It seems that with this skill and having a 2 hand SLOW axe this allows me to attack faster and keep a fairly high DPS. I almost never even use any other skills now because of this besides my buffs. Not sure if I am just missing out on awesome other skill gems that I do not have yet or if this really is just a great skill!
Doubt if anyone will suggesting this but... this skill can be a lot more usefull if it works like Double Swing of barbarian in Diablo 2. So it can auto-hit near targets. Now if target dies by first strike second one gone to waste. I just want for second strike to hit the closest target in correct range in front of me, if is mobs nearby. Just tired of it get missed when lots of mobs nearby just in front of me. sorry my bad english :p
Dark Flame Inside. Hardcore player since 1996.
Last edited by Kerlin on Aug 2, 2012, 1:56:30 PM
My favorite skill gem is definitely Frenzy with attack speed and flicker. But after the nerf, flicker was not providing the same fun as it was.

I came across this particular skill gem via trading in game with others and it is definitely a tough rival for frenzy. However, this skill needs a slight tweak for dual wielders as it only uses the main hand weapon for the attack.

Would it be possible to to tweak the skill so that it can use and reflect damage from both main and off hand. The second swing can be performed by the off hand weapon? This is about the only reason why the skill is quite not as good as a frenzy since it uses both hand weapons and DPS in to account.
"How would you like it if I snuck into your country and did this job over there... and not cash in any of your friggin checks?!! You WONT!! Because you will be right here!!" - Master Shake.
"
Fartfinder wrote:
Would it be possible to to tweak the skill so that it can use and reflect damage from both main and off hand. The second swing can be performed by the off hand weapon? This is about the only reason why the skill is quite not as good as a frenzy since it uses both hand weapons and DPS in to account.
That would require a lot of work to make all the new animations for all the characters to use it that way.

Also, making it alternate weapons is in fact a strict downgrade, since the average of two weapons' DPS is always worse than or equal to just the best weapon's DPS, so providing you put your best weapon in your main hand, this would make the skill slightly worse for dual wielders.
It also makes it less differentiated from Dual Strike.

On the whole, I suspect double-strike will stay main-hand-only.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info