Dominating Blow

I just want to say Chris, that this skill is the single most interesting skill I've ever seen in an RPG. I hope you can match it with future skills!
"
Do buff or debuff duration increases work with this ability?

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
No, but skill duration increases will increase how long the dominated minion lasts.

Your answer makes it clear that Buff Duration doesn't apply to the minions' life span but it is unclear whether they increase the duration the debuff is on the enemy monsters, extending the time after you hit them that they can be turned into minions. Could you please clarify for me Chris? Thx! I <3 u!
In-Game-Name: Lezli
Last edited by Lezli on Jan 28, 2013, 9:16:26 PM
"
Myuri wrote:
I found a bug in act 3 concerning summoned mobs of dominated summoner.

When i dominate die "big" spider-like Carrion Summoners who spawn "Carrion Minion" (= monster name) they start summoning those minions. But when the summoner dies (because dominating blow expires or get killed by miraculous last hit) the minions stay forever until they get killed. And they will stay and move around the spot where the summoner died. FOREVER and ever and ever
Myuri
This is known and will be fixed in future.
"
Lezli wrote:
I just want to say Chris, that this skill is the single most interesting skill I've ever seen in an RPG. I hope you can match it with future skills!
"
Do buff or debuff duration increases work with this ability?

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
No, but skill duration increases will increase how long the dominated minion lasts.

Your answer makes it clear that Buff Duration doesn't apply to the minions' life span but it is unclear whether they increase the duration the debuff is on the enemy monsters, extending the time after you hit them that they can be turned into minions. Could you please clarify for me Chris? Thx! I <3 u!
No, that can't be extended. You can use skill duration increases to increase how long the minions last after they get dominated, that's it.
is it intended that a missed dominated strike still apply the effect? (notice that I missed a hit but my minion killed it right after)
Last edited by Freakymudcrab on Jan 30, 2013, 8:51:03 AM
"
Freakymudcrab wrote:
is it intended that a missed dominated strike still apply the effect? (notice that I missed a hit but my minion killed it right after)
Misses do not apply the effect. It's likey that specific damage package got delayed on it's way to your client, so wasn't able to be applied at the correct time visually, so it looked like you missed.
This is certainly an interesting skill, though I noticed its base mana cost is the highest for a weapon-skill? Maybe poison arrow beats it, but at least for melee... it was sitting at 43 mana on my Templar with no supports. Of course, with no supports, it's effective, but is the cost related to the fact that if you support it with most gems, you get double the effect? More melee damage makes the skill do 30% more melee damage, as well as the minion you craete, if it is a melee one. It's kind of polarizing as without EB or BM I'm pretty sure you could not abuse a 6L dominating blow to easily... maybe with Erqi or some very slow weapon...
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Jan 30, 2013, 8:40:47 PM
I tried this out and gave up when I saw so many enemies shatter instead of turning to minions. I really wish you guys would add a way to just remove all cold damage from your character. Shattering just keeps screwing over my ideas.

Culling Strike is great on it though.
I've been using this gem and while it's quite cool it does have some issues.

The time you have between hitting the mob and it dying is just too short. It makes the skill not work at all in some situations. Like when you've dominated a few enemies sometimes they will just simply kill your target between the debuff running out and you being able to land the next hit. Compare this to any other skill (Ground Slam, Poison Arrow, Summon Skeletons) and you'll see that they do not stop working just because you used them correctly. This is also a huge problem when grouping as it can be extremely hard to get any dominated mobs. It's not like you can practice and improve on this like last hitting in DotA, it just comes down to being lucky.

I want the timing window to be wide enough that using the skill correctly doesn't cause it to break. I've missed out on several rare mobs that would have been a great asset because of my other minions killing him.

I would suggest either setting the duration to slightly above your swing time or to a flat 2-3 seconds.
"
Booom3 wrote:

The time you have between hitting the mob and it dying is just too short. ....
I would suggest either setting the duration to slightly above your swing time or to a flat 2-3 seconds.

Hi, no it is supposed to be a killing blow with this skill. read description. it once was with a 2 sec debuff and was way to strong because u could easily dominate with aoe.

I found a bug:
When i dominate a rare crab mob in flooded depths (cruel) before i destroyed its shell, it belongs to me but when the timer expires it loses its shell and attacks me again :D

Reviving minion ftw
"
Myuri wrote:

Hi, no it is supposed to be a killing blow with this skill. read description. it once was with a 2 sec debuff and was way to strong because u could easily dominate with aoe.

I found a bug:
When i dominate a rare crab mob in flooded depths (cruel) before i destroyed its shell, it belongs to me but when the timer expires it loses its shell and attacks me again :D

Reviving minion ftw

So that's reason enough to make this ability barely work at all?
There's a difference between nerfing and breaking and they went too far. It's really bad right now because of how inconsistent it is. It's an ability that relies on gathering momentum to work yet when you start getting momentum it actively starts hindering itself from being used.
They need to fix it.
I don t think so, just don t try to dominate every minion ... just the strongest or the first ones u weakened .. its no high dmg build if you don t have the right items and skill combinations to support your dominations.

Cheers

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info