Detonate Dead

"
fsk1989 wrote:
So uhm this is the source of my confusion about detonate dead crit chance. Says critical strike chance for spells works on DD when it doesnt. That said, i did equipped a dagger (80% global crit chance), and it, as expected, increased the crit chance of dd above 5% (8.1% i think).

Thats all really annoying. When i read the gems "Active Skill Keywords" like the wiki calls it, it should summarize how the gem behaves and fit it into a group. If its a spell, i expect all my spell modifiers to affect it. The keyword Spell for Detonate Dead is a poor description to the gem mechanics, given it doesnt do spell damage and doesnt inherit spell crit modifiers. Is it there to describe that DD is a cast based gem?

The confusing thing is that the term "spell" is used in two different contexts. On one hand "spell" refers to skill type, where it is simply defined as any skill that is not an attack. On the other hand "spell" can refer to a damage type similar to "area" or "melee". Spell damage can only be dealt by spells, but not all spells deal spell damage.

The recent stats refactor patch corrected how the character sheet in-game displayed the stats for spells that deal secondary damage (such as Detonate Dead and Bear Trap). This isn't readily apparent, but when you look at the stats display with conventional spells (such as Fireball or Ethereal Knives) it says "Spell Physical Damage" or "Spell Critical Strike Chance". The display for skills like Detonate Dead now say "Physical Damage" or "Critical Strike Chance", without mentioning the word "spell". The wiki is incorrect in this case.
Ohh, i see what you trying to say!

Bummer my ethereal knifes has this spell physical damage thing, and detonate dead just show flat physical damage..

So the physical part of DD deals no spell damage, nor does the fire part. Imo it should be listed as Fire, AoE only, instead of Fire, Spell, AoE.

Thanks for your input this clarifies a lot.
I had never really paid attention to this skill, beyond just making corpses to away, until I decided it might be fun to try and build around it.

Bottom line is, this skill sucks. Hard. At least from a design perspective, this is perhaps the most ill conceived spell in the game.

It inflicts 18% of the corpses maximum life as fire damage to nearby foes. That is great, it's not hard to see how that could be manipulated to deal considerable damage. The problem is, this is the base damage it deals from level 1 all the way to level 20. So what do you get when it levels? A pitiful sum of physical damage that hardly scales with anything in the game. Oh but that physical damage--which is so low it would add close to zero damage after AR formula--comes with a high premium.. 50 mana at level 20!

So at level 1, you pay 6 mana to deal 2-4 physical damage and 18% of the corpses base maximum life as fire damage to nearby enemies. At level 20 you pay 50 mana to deal...... 2-4 physical damage (if you're lucky) and 18% of the corpses base maximum life as fire damage to nearby enemies. The physical damage is so low it doesn't even benefit from added fire damage, and the scalar nature of the base damage (corpse's base max life) is such that even converting 100% of the physical damage to elemental damage would be little benefit for very high opportunity cost.

So... Why would you ever level this skill up? Because you misclicked? Or you want to spend more mana for no new benefit?

Don't skills usually at least try to offer some incentive to level up?

Edit: I don't mean to sound so bitter. I just woke up and somebody finished the coffee without starting a new pot :3 lol
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Aug 4, 2013, 8:32:52 AM
i only want to lvl it because i can make a 20quality one out of it, which gives me cast speed.
got added chaos damage, mana leech and faster casting in a 4L, wont lvl it after i got the q20, i just want to clear out fast, hope its nice with 100% increased castspeed later.
so has anyone tried shavrones on low life with 2 redbeaks?

Would imagine that would be very powerful, but then require 5-6 link shavs ><
"
DutchRudder wrote:
so has anyone tried shavrones on low life with 2 redbeaks?

Would imagine that would be very powerful, but then require 5-6 link shavs ><
thats a bit overkill but at same time, just enough vs res mobs. pain attunement, (max lv) con effect, max lv) fire pene, flammability, two redbeaks, and a +1 gem level to your 3+ linked gear for detonate dead; is just enough to kill fire resistant mobs in one hit. you can replace a +1 gem level mod gear for shav yes, but thats kinda more than necessary. heck, you could even just take more fire/elemental/all damage and not use max lv stuff. don't even have to be a low life, can use remote mine support for more damage boost than pain attunement provides.
"
CanHasPants wrote:
I had never really paid attention to this skill, beyond just making corpses to away, until I decided it might be fun to try and build around it.

Bottom line is, this skill sucks. Hard. At least from a design perspective, this is perhaps the most ill conceived spell in the game.

It inflicts 18% of the corpses maximum life as fire damage to nearby foes. That is great, it's not hard to see how that could be manipulated to deal considerable damage. The problem is, this is the base damage it deals from level 1 all the way to level 20. So what do you get when it levels? A pitiful sum of physical damage that hardly scales with anything in the game. Oh but that physical damage--which is so low it would add close to zero damage after AR formula--comes with a high premium.. 50 mana at level 20!
Diablo 2 had it right; levels never increased the damage of Corpse Explosion, but they did increase the area. By a lot. That's what this skill needs, not some pitiful physical damage increase.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Hey GGG,

i use Detonate Daed with crit chance + Damge but....

"Serpent Stance" neither increse the crit chance nor the crit damge (at least in the tool tip)

all my other spells benefits from Serpent Stance.

Can you please check this out.

Thanks

P.S. Yes, i am wearing a Staff
insane in the membrane
Last edited by Dudldude on Sep 9, 2013, 2:07:16 PM
2 questions about Detonate Dead dmg bonus.

First - it's a spell so using Pain Attunement won't increase my dmg from dd. True?
Second - this sword http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Redbeak increase dmg without any further info so that means ANY dmg - so it's no just spell dmg, true?

Ty.
"
kawrr wrote:
2 questions about Detonate Dead dmg bonus.

First - it's a spell so using Pain Attunement won't increase my dmg from dd. True?
Second - this sword http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Redbeak increase dmg without any further info so that means ANY dmg - so it's no just spell dmg, true?

Ty.
fire damage and elemental mods work.
redbeak works because it is a special case, improving any (non DoT) damage while you're low life).
remote mine and trap supports work.
it is fire damage so lowering foe's resistance to fire works. this is done via fire penetration support, elemental weakness, and flammability.

i retract saying pain attunement and righteous fire works, i can't say anything about that anymore.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info