Detonate Dead

The Crit chance display for Detonate Dead is currently bugged it appears?

Just ignore the Physical damage. It's useless.
Rustic Sash would apply (untyped Physical damage), One-hand does not (Spells do not use your weapon).

EDIT@below: Oh, right, duh. Spell Crit applies to Spell Damage.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jul 18, 2013, 11:14:23 AM
Since Detonate Dead doesn't deal Spell Damage, it also doesn't benefit from any spell-specific increases to spell critical chance or multiplier. Unless you also have non-specific sources of critical chance (such as from a dagger's implicit mod or a Bloodthirst type passive) then Detonate Dead would accurately display a 5% chance to crit.
uhm ok i guess it makes sense... Funny this spell works like a trap except it can kill you on reflect
But it doesn't work like a Trap at all. DD existed long before Traps.

A Trap skill creates a brand-new entity that casts the appropriate skill if a monster enters the Trigger Radius; the Trap deals damage to monsters using that skill. The Trap leeches, takes Reflect and all that stuff.
Detonate Dead is a Spell that creates an explosion; you cast the Spell, you deal the damage, etc.
i mean it works like a trap in the way you have to lure a monster to get close to a dead body in order to deal damage. Its not a direct damage dealing spell, unlike say firestorm.

Detonate dead feels to me like a mix between mines and traps. The dead body is your entity, the trigger is you. Thats why its wierd that it reflects damage and leeches back to you, since mines and traps dont.
"
fsk1989 wrote:
i mean it works like a trap in the way you have to lure a monster to get close to a dead body in order to deal damage. Its not a direct damage dealing spell, unlike say firestorm.

Detonate dead feels to me like a mix between mines and traps. The dead body is your entity, the trigger is you. Thats why its wierd that it reflects damage and leeches back to you, since mines and traps dont.

Indeed.
Just what i was talking about.

BTW i would like to see some change to this skill so we can explode shattered remains of dead body coz is totaly unplayable in groups ; (
Be water, my friend.
"Its not a direct damage dealing spell, unlike say firestorm."
It's no different from Firestorm. You create a fiery explosion. One destroys a corpse, the other falls from the sky. It's still an explosion you have created directly. The corpse does not cast Detonate Dead, you do.

It's only a 'trap' in the real world sense of the word (and with how monsters come in packs and don't neccesarily spread out even that is not always the case); it does not fit Path of Exile's definition.
"
fsk1989 wrote:
My detonate dead tooltip is all messed up, i have 160% ish spell crit chance and it still shows as 5% crit chance, when it should be

4.5 x 2.6 = 11.7%.

Also, i just started lvling it and noticed the phys damage portion of the spell is not affected by your spell damage, which i thought was.

Its doing max of 70 damage right now, so a ~20% increase in damage (base 58). Thats consistent to my 20% aoe increase from passives. I expected it to be multiplied by the 20% and my 60% spell dam, for a total of 92% increase in physical damage.

Would the phys portion of the damage be affected by +phys damage % like the one handed nodes, rustic sashes and stuff like that?

lol.. Sorry for quoting myself but i knew i read somewhere spell crit chance affected detonate dead. Here it is:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Detonate_Dead

"
Spell Damage: Despite being listed as a spell, spell damage modifiers don't affect it. However, spell modifiers such as "critical strike chance for spells" do affect the skill, in the same way that they affect Bear Trap or Shockwave Totem. The fire damage component of the spell will receive bonuses from elemental, area, and fire damage passives and item mods, however.

So uhm this is the source of my confusion about detonate dead crit chance. Says critical strike chance for spells works on DD when it doesnt. That said, i did equipped a dagger (80% global crit chance), and it, as expected, increased the crit chance of dd above 5% (8.1% i think).

Thats all really annoying. When i read the gems "Active Skill Keywords" like the wiki calls it, it should summarize how the gem behaves and fit it into a group. If its a spell, i expect all my spell modifiers to affect it. The keyword Spell for Detonate Dead is a poor description to the gem mechanics, given it doesnt do spell damage and doesnt inherit spell crit modifiers. Is it there to describe that DD is a cast based gem?

Sorry for my english or if i sound somewhat agressive (i think it did come out a bit agressive), this is not my native language. I dont mean to be rude. :)

I also have a few more questions about the spell part of detonate dead;

1 - Is detonate dead actualy a spell? I know it has a cast time, but thats it right?

2 - Should it be affected by spell critical modifiers?

3 - Should the physical portion of the spell be affected by spell modifiers?

4 - If i use the new unique that converts fire to chaos damage, will the burning effect deal 1/4 chaos damage?

And one more generic question about elemental damage, fire damage and spell damage,

If i have 30% increased spell damage, 30% increased elemental damage and 30% increased fire damage, and my skill is affected by all of them, do i have

30% increased cold damage
30% increased lightning damage
30% + 30% increased fire damage
30% increased spell damage

for a final multiplier of

1.3 x 1.3 = 1.69 to cold and lightning spells

1.3 x 1.6 = 2.08 to fire spells

or is it

30% increased elemental damage
30% increased fire damage
30% increased spell damage

for a final multiplier of

1.3 x 1.3 = 1.69 to cold and lightning spells

1.3 x 1.3 x 1.3 = 2.197 to fire spells.

I know the post is long so thanks for reading.
"
fsk1989 wrote:
1 - Is detonate dead actualy a spell? I know it has a cast time, but thats it right?

2 - Should it be affected by spell critical modifiers?

3 - Should the physical portion of the spell be affected by spell modifiers?

4 - If i use the new unique that converts fire to chaos damage, will the burning effect deal 1/4 chaos damage?

1) it is a spell, it benefits from faster casting
2) good question but the damage is not a spell, so no.
3) same as number 2.
4) that unique does not work on burning. it only works on just fire damage.

"
fsk1989 wrote:
math questions
first, spell damage does not work on detonate dead. neither does cold or lightning, unless you give it added cold or added lightning supports.
second, damage modifiers that say "increased" (or "reduced") add (or subtract in case of "reduced") together before working on whatever the modifiers are boosting.

example: 10% increased fire damage, 20% increased area of effect damage, 30% increased elemental damage. detonate dead deals 18% of corpse's hp in AoE fire damage. 18% = 0.18 and fire damage is also elemental damage. concentrated effect support gem of lv 1 (50% more damage)and remote mine lv 1 (30% more damage)for final modifiers.

.18 * (1 + .1 + .2 + .3) = .288
.288 * 1.5 * 1.3 = .5616

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info