[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

I just picked up a Bringer of Rain and it is extremely good. It's basically the second to last item you'll ever get for your head and chest slot for the measly price of ~3.5ex. You'd need a lot lot more than that to buy a head and chest combo better than Bringer. Every single stat on the Bringer is used to great effect by this build.

Reasons why it it so incredible for this build:
1. 15% block. You can drop nodes and still be block capped.
2. Blind. Yup, blind. Combined with Reave/Multistrike, you'll be blinding stuff constantly. It's just another layer of defense. Mobs have to pass the "will it hit" check, then the "will it be blocked" check, and finally the "how much is the hit reduced based on armor or resistance" check.
3-98. A bunch of stuff.
99. Endurance charge chance. Yes, almost as useless as Extra Gore. It's really not that reliable or good to begin with, but hey, every bit helps right? The charges stack up quickly if you're surrounded by a bunch of light hitting mobs, but you shouldn't have trouble in that scenario to begin with.
100. Extra gore. Yes, only slightly less useful than endurance charge chance.

But enough of its praises, there are some downsides to it:
1. Giving up 6 slots worth of skills. After all my auras, I only had my shield left for a skill. And because I need a Blood Magic gem, I only had 2 slots to use. I chose Leap Slam and Faster Attacks, so I could run away quickly if need be. Yes, the only two skills I can use in battle are Reave and Leap Slam.
2. You're giving up two items worth of resists. Luckily the 2 shield nodes near the Templar area grant +20% all resist combined if you have a shield equipped. It doesn't completely replace two items worth of resists, but it helps.

My gear:
Spoiler

My aura setup:
On health: Grace, Anger
On mana: Purity, Determination, Hatred, Tempest Shield

My level 73 passive tree
Ok! Cool advice guys, very much appreciated.

@Hiero: Your advice on faster atks is wonderful, but it can't catch up well enough with IB unless i REALLY stick to 4 monsters and above per pull. 3 monsters and I must switch to HS + Multi + Faster Atks + Life Leech

@Sovyn: Man, that chat we had on POE was very enlightening. I already lined up some gear to craft, plus your other comments here on the mod priorities + minimum gear I should look at to craft really will help me out. I don't wanna end up with something that I am forced to craft another replacement soon!

Should I get Iron Reflexes then? With that nerf (is it really a nerf? reading through the forums, IR melee seems to be a tad too strong, but they should do something about CI/ES as well) basically using Grace is moot? Decisions, decisions.
"
seiferoth10 wrote:
I just picked up a Bringer of Rain and it is extremely good. It's basically the second to last item you'll ever get for your head and chest slot for the measly price of ~3.5ex. You'd need a lot lot more than that to buy a head and chest combo better than Bringer. Every single stat on the Bringer is used to great effect by this build.

Reasons why it it so incredible for this build:
1. 15% block. You can drop nodes and still be block capped.
2. Blind. Yup, blind. Combined with Reave/Multistrike, you'll be blinding stuff constantly. It's just another layer of defense. Mobs have to pass the "will it hit" check, then the "will it be blocked" check, and finally the "how much is the hit reduced based on armor or resistance" check.
3-98. A bunch of stuff.
99. Endurance charge chance. Yes, almost as useless as Extra Gore. It's really not that reliable or good to begin with, but hey, every bit helps right? The charges stack up quickly if you're surrounded by a bunch of light hitting mobs, but you shouldn't have trouble in that scenario to begin with.
100. Extra gore. Yes, only slightly less useful than endurance charge chance.

1. Giving up 6 slots worth of skills. After all my auras, I only had my shield left for a skill. And because I need a Blood Magic gem, I only had 2 slots to use. I chose Leap Slam and Faster Attacks, so I could run away quickly if need be. Yes, the only two skills I can use in battle are Reave and Leap Slam.
2. You're giving up two items worth of resists. Luckily the 2 shield nodes near the Templar area grant +20% all resist combined if you have a shield equipped. It doesn't completely replace two items worth of resists, but it helps.

My gear:
Spoiler

My aura setup:
On health: Grace, Anger
On mana: Purity, Determination, Hatred, Tempest Shield

My level 73 passive tree

:) Yup, Bringer of Rain has been extensively discussed in this thread. The few peeps who are using it now swears that dropping the chest piece is not a big deal compared to the punch this baby brings.
"
Route1 wrote:
So whats the verdict on reave for this build?

Tried Weaver on merciless with reave, and i couldnt hurt her at all. 4k dps and was forced to bail out and go fetch my lightning strike gem and clear the dungeon with. first time ive felt panic coming up fast when using reave :-)
so much spiders, and with so little damage/hit and well i couldnt damage her...
"
Hierokliff wrote:
..thinking of using that Aegis unique shield that gives 4% armor to ES after each block, but 7exalted is nuts for a test...

I've heard it's pretty sweet. Need a bit more ES to take advantage of it possibly. Very rare shield.

PS I suspect you might want to switch to defensive auras for Vaal, Piety and some of the harder map bosses as they will survive more than long enough to hurt. So, I'd be leveling up grace, determination and purity for those.
"
seiferoth10 wrote:
I just picked up a Bringer of Rain and it is extremely good.

Nice gear, thanks for the update.

Bringer is great, hands down. Losing potential resists on amulet, helm, chest and shield is serious, but Purity helps narrow the resistance gap.

I do think your uniques are some of the best choices, if used together of course.

With your DPS you really don't need a specific single target skill.

I use only one attack skill myself.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Hierokliff wrote:
..thinking of using that Aegis unique shield that gives 4% armor to ES after each block, but 7exalted is nuts for a test...

I've heard it's pretty sweet. Need a bit more ES to take advantage of it possibly. Very rare shield.

PS I suspect you might want to switch to defensive auras for Vaal, Piety and some of the harder map bosses as they will survive more than long enough to hurt. So, I'd be leveling up grace, determination and purity for those.

Yeah i switch before bosses/new zones. Got so low armor still so not using determination at all, but purity and grace replaces dps auras depending on the map. The shield will give me around 500ES with my current gear, guess it aint enough to be useful. Saw a nice shield with 500EVA, 500ES and +block chance, but didnt even bother ask for the price on it :)
Last edited by Hierokliff on Aug 27, 2013, 4:18:23 PM
"
Xiaoyen wrote:

Should I get Iron Reflexes then? With that nerf (is it really a nerf? reading through the forums, IR melee seems to be a tad too strong, but they should do something about CI/ES as well) basically using Grace is moot? Decisions, decisions.

IR: No, I wouldn't. I think that evasion PLUS armour is the way to go with this build. Get both as high as you can. You can even use blind in the end game for a great defensive synergy with evasion.

IR was nerfed because the dexterity bonus to evasion is no longer counted when converting evasion to armour. This change was made a few patches ago.

With IR you lose Ondar's as well and thus chaos damage becomes a real problem. Most chaos seems to be projectiles and Ondar's and a good evasion total will mitigate it tremendously.
"
Xiaoyen wrote:

:) Yup, Bringer of Rain has been extensively discussed in this thread. The few peeps who are using it now swears that dropping the chest piece is not a big deal compared to the punch this baby brings.

I never swore that =)

I only said that it is good, but setup of 6l chest and good MF helm is better though it will cost 10 times more than BoR.

Update on my progress:
Got my hand on few exe, will try to buy lvl 77 map, will record it and post it here even if it will be failure.

PS: sorry for my bad english.
ign Bester, Godlymen, boomwiz, in game from 10pm till 1am most of the time (GMT).
"
Borislav wrote:

Got my hand on few exe, will try to buy lvl 77 map, will record it and post it here

Look forward to it!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info