[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

@AntonChigur. Oh hey, me 2 :)
So far lvl 37 in Onslaught.

I use heavy strike with Melee splash but ground slam is perhaps better as it hits a lot farther. Once you start running docks, unless you have great resists you'll be trying to keep your distance from voidbearers.

dominating blow is one of the attacks I'm still considering since I prefer to have minions help distract and soak up damage. I saw a facebreaker with dominating blow, it was pretty awesome. Not sure if facebreaker would work with a shield but the dominating blow idea is still interesting

"
NoodlePirate wrote:
@AntonChigur. Oh hey, me 2 :)
So far lvl 37 in Onslaught.

I use heavy strike with Melee splash but ground slam is perhaps better as it hits a lot farther. Once you start running docks, unless you have great resists you'll be trying to keep your distance from voidbearers.

dominating blow is one of the attacks I'm still considering since I prefer to have minions help distract and soak up damage. I saw a facebreaker with dominating blow, it was pretty awesome. Not sure if facebreaker would work with a shield but the dominating blow idea is still interesting

ya, dominating blow could work too. I might have to give it a try. My DPS is lacking bad, I might need to pick up some dex nodes because I have some swords that I could use if I had the dex and probably triple my dps, lol
Rampage IGN: RIP_Stannis_Baratheon
"
Jhonnyboy wrote:
Wow I died in my first lvl 72 rare map (boss hitting harder than kole and way faster).
That didn't happened for weeks !
Although loosing a week of xp (died 3 times :() it brings some excitement, I was starting to get bored of the op-ness of my character.
Seems lvling will be usefull after all (pretty much full geared) and maybe go more defensive.

Sorry to hear that you died! Some bosses on rare maps (with several mods) will be hard for any build to solo. :) Keep us posted.
"
AntonChigur wrote:

How is heavy strike as your own damage? Is it fine to do with no AOE skill? I'm trying out cleave but I really hate the feel of cleave, I don't enjoy that skill for some reason but I have a 10% heavy strike for my single target dps. Am considering trying multistrike + melee splash maybe..

Heavy strike is fine. I'm now doing almost 5000 DPS with it since taking weapon artistry and working out integration of faster attacks support into my setup.

Multistrike cycles through all nearby targets. But when just the boss is around you focus on him - all automatically. I like that.

I tried to make a new map video yesterday but I used a different screen capture program and unfortunately it's too corrupted to use. Too bad because I really kicked ass. :)

Obviously multi-heavy strike is not ranged though like ground slam/lightning strike. This build can withstand wading into the middle of a pack of champions though when properly geared so no problem.
"
NoodlePirate wrote:
I saw a facebreaker with dominating blow, it was pretty awesome. Not sure if facebreaker would work with a shield but the dominating blow idea is still interesting

It would work. Sounds like an exciting variation for those with access to that particular unique.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 31, 2013, 5:05:12 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
AntonChigur wrote:

How is heavy strike as your own damage? Is it fine to do with no AOE skill? I'm trying out cleave but I really hate the feel of cleave, I don't enjoy that skill for some reason but I have a 10% heavy strike for my single target dps. Am considering trying multistrike + melee splash maybe..

Heavy strike is fine. I'm now doing almost 5000 DPS with it since taking weapon artistry and working out integration of faster attacks support into my setup.

Multistrike cycles through all nearby targets. But when just the boss is around you focus on him - all automatically. I like that.

I tried to make a new map video yesterday but I used a different screen capture program and unfortunately it's too corrupted to use. Too bad because I really kicked ass. :)

Obviously multi-heavy strike is not ranged though like ground slam/lightning strike. This build can withstand wading into the middle of a pack of champions though when properly geared so no problem.

okay, thanks for explaining it for me. I think I like the idea of heavy strike with multistrike, I already have a low level 5 link I found and will do something like Heavy Strike + Multistrike + FA + Stun + Melee Physical and maybe try melee splash and see if that is good or not. Probably level with iiq and iir too :)
Rampage IGN: RIP_Stannis_Baratheon
@sovyn

Not that you should wade into the middle of a pack of mobs unless your attack requires it (discharge) :p

So far it's a very good build. issues at low levels (under lvl 40) is not having max resistances, max block, good spell block, close to zero or actual zero chaos res, and of course doing little damage until you've nailed down exactly which attack you want to use and then focusing your equipment and gems around that. heavy strike is a pretty slow hitter, and I don't know how this build is at higher levels but at the start you don't want to be surrounded by voidbearers smacking away at just one of them at a time.
At least not in HC

Ok here we go. First of all sorry for my bad english i am from russia.
Secondly thank you Sovyn for a good (and lazy) build.
my gear
got it for 1 or 2 gcp

same as a mace
and this is slfy =P thanks to my iir gem =)
this one cost 3 ex+ =( but had to buy it

and for hard mobs

almost everything is self found including gems (had to create a char for melee splash)

I got full rez without purity and 11.4k armour and 3.4k eva and 2.7k hp - 0.5k reserve for auras (and 83% iiq from almost perfect andvarius) on buffs with this i can farm 68 maps like slow but still i can do it solo
(i hate temporal chain slow as turtle, and all my rolls got temporal chain =( f*** this random roll) in few days i will try

don't have a lot of time have to work =)
but the main issue in here is that i dont have enough int to support my blue gems especially iir, had to take wisdom of the glade =(
and now i think of getting a Alpha Howl is it worth its price or i better use
but first have to chrome it to get grrr =(
and should i get a siege axe with less flat damage but faster attack, or no? (oh well i lost my 3 ex, there was 250 dps axe for 3ex, i could have bought, but chest was more of a priority)

and last of all i dont have problem with mana on 0 mana regen maps (almost have to use pots some times)

PS: dps is 3.3k for single target heavy strike (iiq and iir gems =p +multistrike) and 4.3k for aoe heavy strike with multi + splash (iiq gem)

PSS and multistrike is a must for this build IMHO.
ign Bester, Godlymen, boomwiz, in game from 10pm till 1am most of the time (GMT).
"
NoodlePirate wrote:
@sovyn

Not that you should wade into the middle of a pack of mobs unless your attack requires it (discharge) :p

So far it's a very good build. issues at low levels (under lvl 40) is not having max resistances, max block, good spell block, close to zero or actual zero chaos res, and of course doing little damage until you've nailed down exactly which attack you want to use and then focusing your equipment and gems around that. heavy strike is a pretty slow hitter, and I don't know how this build is at higher levels but at the start you don't want to be surrounded by voidbearers smacking away at just one of them at a time.
At least not in HC

Oh, certainly. I guess I meant when you have pretty good gear and your final set of gems and you are way overleveled for the content, have your instant potions and have virtually no chance of dying, and are playing in default league, then you can wade right in there in the middle of 10 champions and not worry about it. :) I.e. like me. So it's situational.

Leveling up, it is essential to keep upgrading your weapon to do decent DPS. Otherwise it does get very slow. That would be true of any melee build that relies mostly on weapon and gems to do their damage.

As to resist, I think this build takes more resist nodes than most builds.... 44% from tree.

Chaos resist is not needed as it is mostly delivered by projectile which we have very high defense against.

Still be careful out there in Onslaught. :)
"
Borislav wrote:

and now i think of getting a Alpha Howl is it worth its price or i better use
but first have to chrome it to get grrr =(
and should i get a siege axe with less flat damage but faster attack, or no? (oh well i lost my 3 ex, there was 250 dps axe for 3ex, i could have bought, but chest was more of a priority)

and last of all i dont have problem with mana on 0 mana regen maps (almost have to use pots some times)

PS: dps is 3.3k for single target heavy strike (iiq and iir gems =p +multistrike) and 4.3k for aoe heavy strike with multi + splash (iiq gem)

PSS and multistrike is a must for this build IMHO.

Hi Borislav! Your English is very good. Much better than my Russian!

Nice gear. Nice chest. Like your amulet/shield combo. They work well together. Your evasion could be a bit higher but it's OK.

I would not use Starkonja's Head, I don't think it's better than your current helmet. We don't get on low life very often if ever.

Alpha's Howl is alright, but the only interesting things on it are the +2 gem levels and the chilled/frozen protection. The 8% reduced Mana Reserved is pretty minor. I know because I got the 10% reduced Mana Reserved on the passive skill tree recently and took it off. It was nice but nothing major. So, I think since Alpha's Howl does not have any life on it I would not buy it.

Your DPS is pretty good but could be better. You could look for a similar mace but with some better elemental damage / attack speed mod on it as well, OR you could go with an axe. Axes have the best potential DPS. Yes, most of them swing a little bit faster.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info