[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

I faced the same problem, only could effectively use 3 % based auras on my mana. However, instead of dropping tempest shield I dropped purity. I'm already capped at resists without it, and find tempest shield more useful than 3% more max resist. The damage is little on most mobs, however, on mobs that hit really fast for low damage, they get destroyed by tempest shield. At that level, everyone can choose what to drop anyway, and without capped resists, I think purity would ve the priority.
In-Game Name: Rikkum or AriesShion

My spanish blog / Mi blog en español: http://gaminglatino.blogspot.com/
Hi Sovyn,

I'm currently following the way you play~ So far i think i quite good, however i'm still not able to get all the skill gem that you've mentioned. Will try my best to get it and test it out ASAP. Wanna test the power of the Templar. I wanna ask something for the HeavyStrike. Instead of stun, what do you think if i replace it with Faster attack. (Heavystrike, Melee physical damage, multistike and faster attack).

another thing i would like to ask is that, with this build, how tank will this templar be?
:-)
@Rubedo5

As you said, once you're resistance capped, Purity doesn't look a great help on most situations.
But I think Sovyn is aura addicted and try to get as much as he can. ;D

If you use Tempest Shield, you can use one - two passives in other place (dps, life...)
I use Tempest Shield + Blood Magic + Reduced Mana + Culling Strike.
I suppose it will deal a decent damage through a map, I mean it hurts a lot of times, but dealing too low damage to be really decisive. I mean, do you save a Heavy Strike attack because your mob has been destroyed by your Tempest Shield?.

@Cry3Times

When you're fully developed, you'll have 75% block chance, let's say 30% chance to evade (depends on gear), 30% physical damage reduction, Ondar's Guile, close to 50% block chance applied to block spells (when wearing the suggested amulet), decent amount of life and good regeneration rate.

Your avoidance is damm high, with such stats:
82.5% to avoid a melee attack
90% to avoid a projectile attack
33% to block a spell (not sure about this calculation, I'm typing at phone and can't have a look to info easily)

You can tank a package of mobs without any problem.
You can tank most map bosses without problem, just spam attack (tested up to maps 68).

IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)
"
kahoraho wrote:
@Rubedo5

As you said, once you're resistance capped, Purity doesn't look a great help on most situations.
But I think Sovyn is aura addicted and try to get as much as he can. ;D

If you use Tempest Shield, you can use one - two passives in other place (dps, life...)
I use Tempest Shield + Blood Magic + Reduced Mana + Culling Strike.
I suppose it will deal a decent damage through a map, I mean it hurts a lot of times, but dealing too low damage to be really decisive. I mean, do you save a Heavy Strike attack because your mob has been destroyed by your Tempest Shield?.

@Cry3Times

When you're fully developed, you'll have 75% block chance, let's say 30% chance to evade (depends on gear), 30% physical damage reduction, Ondar's Guile, close to 50% block chance applied to block spells (when wearing the suggested amulet), decent amount of life and good regeneration rate.

Your avoidance is damm high, with such stats:
82.5% to avoid a melee attack
90% to avoid a projectile attack
33% to block a spell (not sure about this calculation, I'm typing at phone and can't have a look to info easily)

You can tank a package of mobs without any problem.
You can tank most map bosses without problem, just spam attack (tested up to maps 68).

Well said, I look forward to setting up my Tempest Shield in the same manner. I'm currently up to level 40, still a long way off from the true potential of this build, but I can tank mobs my friends Templar struggles with at the same level, and he uses totems. I love all the input on this thread, it's definitely helping refine the build as I go.
"Accountability is the perfect counter-weight to ambition." -Dominus, High Templar
"
Rubedo5 wrote:
At that level, everyone can choose what to drop anyway, and without capped resists, I think purity would ve the priority.

True. I think fewer people will have capped resists though. Especially new player/first character or self found. I know I sure as heck still need Purity. :)
"
Cry3times wrote:
Instead of stun, what do you think if i replace it with Faster attack. (Heavystrike, Melee physical damage, multistike and faster attack).

another thing i would like to ask is that, with this build, how tank will this templar be?
:-)

That's what I'm using recently (faster attacks), I have just not updated my gear (but the guide is current and recommends faster attacks).

The only issue with it is keeping up with the mana draw. I have that fully solved now but it may take each person some time to figure it out. I did my best in the guide to show how to do it.

As far as being "tanky," it's hard to beat this build. You can add the crutches the other melee builds use, that is, endurance charges, granite flasks, Koam's Heart, full time curses, and so on, to be the 'best tank', if that's what you are after. This build does OK without all that.
"
kahoraho wrote:

Even better, it's 47%! :D

(75 x .5) + 9
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
kahoraho wrote:

Even better, it's 47%! :D

(75 x .5) + 9

Hehehe I felt like I was making a mistake but was difficult to check it, then correct it.

Now I'm at PC and could do the right calculations:

a) Stone of Lazhwar gives you 50% of Block Chance applied to Spells
b) "Shield block and spell blocking" passive gives 12% of Block Chance applied to Spells. It's close to Phalanx, our 1st 4% additional shield block chance.

So we have 62% of Block Chance applied to Spells, when wearing Stone of Lazhwar.
If we have 75% block chance, that result in 46.5% chance to block speels as Sovyn pointed.
Thats quite impressive.

Good job pointing it !!!

IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)
Last edited by kahoraho on Jul 30, 2013, 6:42:02 PM
Wow I died in my first lvl 72 rare map (boss hitting harder than kole and way faster).
That didn't happened for weeks !
Although loosing a week of xp (died 3 times :() it brings some excitement, I was starting to get bored of the op-ness of my character.
Seems lvling will be usefull after all (pretty much full geared) and maybe go more defensive.
trying out this build in Onslaught, liking it so far, but I'm only lvl 31 atm.

How is heavy strike as your own damage? Is it fine to do with no AOE skill? I'm trying out cleave but I really hate the feel of cleave, I don't enjoy that skill for some reason but I have a 10% heavy strike for my single target dps. Am considering trying multistrike + melee splash maybe...

and I found that amulet yesterday but I can't wear it because of dexterity requirements, bleh.
Rampage IGN: RIP_Stannis_Baratheon
Last edited by AntonChigur on Jul 31, 2013, 3:19:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info