[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
jason80 wrote:
I played this build a while ago and am now returning to the game. Had a lot of fun with it. Have a couple questions.

1. When I last played this, I got to level 75, and the optimal weapon was doryani's catalyst with I believe a Lionseye Remorse shield and Bringer of Rain. Static Strike was my main skill Looks like a lot of this has changed. Is my dude going to be gimped with this old setup?

2. I didnt see mention of Uber LAbs/Uber Atziri? Can this uild do those? Any other endgame content it cant do well?

Thanks

1) No, static still works, but just try blade flurry with a cheap 1 chaos Scaeva and see what you think. I timed it and it clears faster than static strike due to the targeting mechanic. You should have a free respec but if not, a few regrets won't hurt you at 75 if you like the new build ideas better. You shouldn't have to use more than something like 2-6 regrets to get close enough.

2) I haven't tried uber atziri as I don't care for farming and I am trying for 97. I don't see why someone that kills uber atziri on a regular basis couldn't do it easily with this build. If Atziri is done correctly you don't get hit much at all so it's all the same no matter how big the hits go. It's possible that a different build would be better for the shaper but at a far higher cost. The usual choice is probably a 12K ES dagger crit shadow with instant leeching. Again, someone familiar with these top end encounters could probably do it with just about any build including this one.
It's been a while since I played my trusty Lazy Pally, I've been experimenting with other builds and to be completely honest... Nothing feels as good to play as this build. Not even casters. I love simple, and this build has always had simplicity in spades. The layered defense of block + counter attacks are really what seals the deal. Time to revisit the tried and true, maybe push for 100 finally. Thanks as ever for keeping one of the longest running guides in PoE relevant and updated Sovyn!

Well met.
"Accountability is the perfect counter-weight to ambition." -Dominus, High Templar
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
ngkongz wrote:
Hi, Sovyn . Have some question

1.Is my build good enough?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ngkongz/characters

Thanks this build is good almost in all map. I did uber lab easily too.

2. I try this build vs atziri and cant pass it. Any walkthrough that show how to defeat atziri with this build?
3. Any gear suggestion in premium build for further
4. What enchantment did u suggest in gloves,shoes, and helmet?

1) Your gear looks good, obviously you can eventually get better life rolls on the rares and perhaps consider a voidheart or romira's for more damage overall if damage seems to be an issue at all. There are lots of things you could do but it starts to get costly like shield corruption, rare better than bino's, etc.

2) I have a very old atziri video on the first page. I won, but it's much, much easier for me now. The key is just to dodge the flameblasts correctly. Should give you some idea at least.

3) Covered it in 1

4) Helm, impossible, but try to get one for blade flurry. Boots, most are useful but I like more crits. I wouldn't bother with reduced mana cost or reduced stun. The rest are all useful so there's a good chance that a uber lab enchant would be good here. On gloves, I don't think any are worth bothering with as far as I know.

1. Thanks for your answer. I ve just play this game 1-2 month, and your guide is very2 well organized, make it easy to understand for a newbie like me. Skill gem option, cheap build suggestion,better build like ur premium build,etc. Thumbs up to this guide between others guide that only peak items & tree, and I cant understand the idea behind that build (still newbie didnt know much skill gem). Maybe if u consider my suggestion, will u add some content in ur summary that explain why you pick Templar between all of other jobs. Although I am understand now why you pick templar job above all of jobs (bcos my friend build gladiator with this build, if my frnd didnt play this job, maybe I didnt realize how nice templar is with this build).

2. Can I get a link in rare weapon which is great, like maybe 10ex above, and why this rare weapon is better than bino's in ur opinion

3. Are you still use shield charge vs atziri? I find it better use whirling blade maybe.
Last edited by ngkongz on Feb 13, 2017, 4:31:52 PM
"
Khavali wrote:
It's been a while since I played my trusty Lazy Pally, I've been experimenting with other builds and to be completely honest... Nothing feels as good to play as this build. Not even casters. I love simple, and this build has always had simplicity in spades. The layered defense of block + counter attacks are really what seals the deal. Time to revisit the tried and true, maybe push for 100 finally. Thanks as ever for keeping one of the longest running guides in PoE relevant and updated Sovyn!

Well met.

Thanks for posting this, friend.
"
ngkongz wrote:
1. Thanks for your answer. I ve just play this game 1-2 month, and your guide is very2 well organized, make it easy to understand for a newbie like me. Skill gem option, cheap build suggestion,better build like ur premium build,etc. Thumbs up to this guide between others guide that only peak items & tree, and I cant understand the idea behind that build (still newbie didnt know much skill gem). Maybe if u consider my suggestion, will u add some content in ur summary that explain why you pick Templar between all of other jobs. Although I am understand now why you pick templar job above all of jobs (bcos my friend build gladiator with this build, if my frnd didnt play this job, maybe I didnt realize how nice templar is with this build).

2. Can I get a link in rare weapon which is great, like maybe 10ex above, and why this rare weapon is better than bino's in ur opinion

3. Are you still use shield charge vs atziri? I find it better use whirling blade maybe.

1) I started as a templar since that's where the best block nodes used to be. The guide has been around for over four years now. Turns out, Inquisitor is very good for us. It adds a lot of damage. You can't see the damage it really adds on your tooltip or anything, but it's noticeable. As mentioned in the FAQ, you can play as any class except for witch or shadow. The same end goals can be met, more or less. I think Templar is a good choice. No need to overthink it.

2) Here is a link to a poe.trade search for nice rare weapons. http://poe.trade/search/onahotaresioni These offer a little bit more physical damage than bino's. Our damage scales up based on physical damage so there is some difference to be had. These are all daggers as they have the global crit chance implicit mod on them, which makes a difference.

For example, without it, you would need a lot more weapon to make it better than a bino's:

This one offers 74.8K DPS with blade flurry and it is more PDPS than Bino's (255 vs. 235), but since it does not have global crit, it falls behind.

For reference, a 235 PDPS Bino's gives me 77.3K DPS due to the global crit.

However, when we raise the PDPS to uber levels we can see that it overcomes the lack of crit at some point, i.e., this one at 364 PDPS:

That would provide 102.8K DPS. (obviously you can't get this exact rare anymore but there's probably something like it around for a high price)

DPS numbers are with hatred and herald of ash in the hideout, nothing else.

The daggers in the poe.trade link above should be more an apples to apples type thing. They start at just 4 ex. Still a heck of a lot more pricey than a Bino's, which is why I put a Bino's even in my premium setup.

3) Yes, I do think whirling blades is a bit better for mobility, but you can use either since they changed shield charge to work more like whirling blades.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Rogomatic wrote:
There's a lot of generic damage to be had in the Gratuitous Violence and Blood In The Eyes branches.

Some, but situational and I thought the main point of gladiator was the spell block node and you can't get everything, unfortunately.

It probably comes down to if you want to play the young guy or the old guy, honestly, the end result will be very similar.

If you do Uber lab, you can get spell block, Gratuitous Violence, and a choice of Blood in the Eyes or Violent Retaliation. GV by itself should give you enough explosions because BF hits pretty often, and VR by is 80% increased damage against bosses + more increased damage from every blocked hit. That's a balanced attack.

Not to be underestimated is also the fact that this opens your neck and boot slots for better items. This is all theorycrafting, of course, but I just thought I'd pitch in.
A Belligerent Expert System
Last edited by Rogomatic on Feb 15, 2017, 11:24:23 AM
"
LowBudget780 wrote:
Hey Sovyn, I was wondering if you could take a look at my build and tell me what I am doing wrong. I am level 87 and only sitting around 3,900 DPS ON Tool Tip with Hatred and Herald of Ash activated (I am using a Bino's with Blade Flurry).

Thanks,

3900 isn't bad, remember that you have to use some math to get a dps number from the damage-per-hit blade flurry tooltip. You could get some damage out of the rare ring slot, and add a lion's roar. Also your attack skill gem and supports need more leveling. Small gains, but worth pursuing.
I might roll this next league. I always thought block builds have best value for its price =).
"Curiosity is followed by ambition. Ambition is followed by madness." - The Shaper
Will we have the luck that you keep you´re Build updated when 2.6 hits?
Really appreciate you´re work you put into that.
"
blutilein wrote:
Will we have the luck that you keep you´re Build updated when 2.6 hits?
Really appreciate you´re work you put into that.

Yes, I've kept this build updated for 4 years without missing a new version of Path of Exile. Most new versions have made us stronger.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info