[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Ice Crash looks like a lot of fun. I hope it ends up being a good option as the main attack skill in the endgame. I'd prefer using that over Cyclone, if it does a competitive amount of damage.
Last edited by Kamina100 on Jun 3, 2015, 1:32:24 PM
"
TehDiablo wrote:
I find myself coming back here each time I decide to rip it up in PoE and I got to say I have tons of fun.

I took one of my mid level characters and took advantage of the full passive reset and picked back up and used what gear I had stashed away.

Any tips/suggestions for going into Merc?

Hi TehDiablo and welcome (back) :)

I think you might need a full new set of gear while doing Merciless. See the "most folks" section for each gear slot in the guide. You may even find some upgrades yourself though. Uniques are generally not recommended past where you are now because most of them lack life. There are a couple exceptions like Belly of the Beast and Thousand Teeth Temu (until 2.0 comes out then we don't need evasion anymore unless GGG changes things again in the beta).

I think Anvil might be OK until 70+ maps though as that's when spell block may be more important. You can skip Merciless Dominus after all (until 2.0 comes out anyway). Spell block can be handy in places like the Catacombs but that's optional content too.

First thing you'll need a better weapon, Mightflay is great for 35-45 but after that its upgrade time. A good rare is the only way to go here until you are 70 then you want to save up for Doryani's if you can, if not you will probably find a rare that you can master craft up to 250 physical dps.

A white 5-link chest is cheap and you can chaos it a few times to get life and resists or try to integrate a tabula by getting great resists on your other slots. Armour over a certain amount does not really make any difference as big physical hits punch right through it anyway so having armor on the chest is actually not that big of a deal, you can get 500 armor each on your helm and gloves as a goal. The main loss with tabula is life so the safe bet is the white 5-link and then roll it till you get 90 life on it. The difference between 5-link and 6-link dps is not that huge until you are very high level.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jun 3, 2015, 8:26:56 PM
"
CptSatch wrote:

What about swapping

for

I will lose 200 Life and less than 200 armor, but I get 3k dps more in Sarn.

Until 2.0 goes live, sure. After that, no way in heck, maybe unless you use the Lightning Coil + Purity of Lightning combo too. Unless things change before launch. In beta things hit for a lot more physical damage than they do now so you will get one-shot all the time wearing that Abyssus. It wouldn't even be funny. IMHO your current rare helm is better anyway. I don't know what your dps total is but 3K would not be much for me.
"
monkthekey wrote:
"
No, I can't recommend using all those uniques together as you might not be able to afford to max out your resists just on rings and gloves (super high end stuff required plus you would probably end up losing the damage in those slots to get the resists). Plus Soul Taker is lackluster damage for how much it costs, it's not even 300 pdps.... maybe for dominating blow but other than that, meh. It's probably easier to integrate a tabula actually as you only lose one slot for resists rather than two..... and the top dps with tabula is a little more than BoR because you get 20/20 support gems....

What about switching Soul taker for Doryani's Catalyst and give up BoR for a rare helmet + belly of the beast 6L. Would you give up Aegis Aurora + Rainbowstride too ?

Thank you :)

Doryani's + 6L Belly + Aegis + Rainbows is a solid combo. Not the cheapest way but very good.
"
Kamina100 wrote:
Ice Crash looks like a lot of fun. I hope it ends up being a good option as the main attack skill in the endgame. I'd prefer using that over Cyclone, if it does a competitive amount of damage.

Ice Crash is very competitive right now, definitely among the best melee skills. It is fun as you say. :) Nice AOE size with Amplify. Hopefully GGG will wait until 2.1 to nerf Ice crash but we shall just have to see! Release of 2.0 is a long way off yet.
I just went in on Standard and used one of my Full Passive Reset on an old character to test this build out. Got too bored of the 1 month league. Anyways..

This is my current gear
Spoiler

I know it's not the most insane gear for the build but I'm having a lot of fun. 10/10 Recommend trying it out if you haven't.
Thou shalt not guard.
"
Zonxen70 wrote:
I just went in on Standard and used one of my Full Passive Reset on an old character to test this build out. Got too bored of the 1 month league. Anyways..

This is my current gear
I know it's not the most insane gear for the build but I'm having a lot of fun. 10/10 Recommend trying it out if you haven't.

Thanks for posting your experience Zonxen! Glad it has been a positive one so far. Good start gearing your guy!
ok ty
2.0 Beta guide stuff -

Pretty sure I'm going to drop the recommendation for Cannibalistic Habits Viridian Jewel and instead.....

... with the big physical hits in maps in 2.0 (so far) I think we need some way to generate endurance charges automatically.... and I think the best way is:

Vengeance + Reckoning + Endurance Charge on Melee Stun + Stun (4-link)

I tested this in Library merciless on live and it works fine, keeping up 3 endurance charges most of the time for 12% physical mitigation.

Assuming that's settled which I think it probably is, I need to decide on the best way to curse.

Did a test.... two options....

# of monsters cursed

Tempest Shield with Curse on Hit and curse
run 1: 31
run 2: 35
run 3: 35

vs.

CWDT and curse
run 1: 29
run 2: 29
run 3: 26

Considerations: As you can see the Tempest Shield setup pulls ahead slightly in terms of total number of monsters cursed. Obviously in this area the monsters are paper thin to me even using just a 2-link for my attack so I'm not exactly sure which would be best in harder content. The Tempest Shield option only curses one monster at a time, so the cursed monsters were more peppered in evenly throughout the area. The CWDT option cursed more infrequently as CWDT queues up the damage total over the course of time but when it went off, a whole pack was cursed rather than one or two. This occurs because Curse on Hit only applies the linked curse to the one target that is hit whereas the curse acts like it's usual self with an AOE when used with CWDT. So, lightly peppered all over or occasionally in clumps -- that's the choice. Either way would work for an extended fight.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
CptSatch wrote:

What about swapping

for

I will lose 200 Life and less than 200 armor, but I get 3k dps more in Sarn.

Until 2.0 goes live, sure. After that, no way in heck, maybe unless you use the Lightning Coil + Purity of Lightning combo too. Unless things change before launch. In beta things hit for a lot more physical damage than they do now so you will get one-shot all the time wearing that Abyssus. It wouldn't even be funny. IMHO your current rare helm is better anyway. I don't know what your dps total is but 3K would not be much for me.

I had 10k in Sarn (without auras, and explosions), when I put Abyssus it goes to 13,5k in Sarn.

In Docks: Abyssus + HoA + Hatred + Blood Rage + Atziri's Promise = 29,202 DPS (49,643 with explosions)
In Docks: Rare Helmet + HoA + Hatred + Blood Rage + Atziri's Promise = 22,583 DPS (38,391 with explosions)

When I swap Rare Helmet for Abyssus, I lose around 150 HP and 1% of armor.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info