[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
ibex wrote:
sovyn, whats your take on devoto devotion? it basically removes the drawbacks from the anvil and gives a chunk of chaos res. also comes with a solid amount of armour and evasion

Hi Ibex :)

Devoto's Devotion is just fine except no life. It can work though! Ideally I'd try to find a rare with life, chaos res + elemental res, armor/evasion like that. I know it would not have dps related mods but perhaps better overall than a unique. The rare I mentioned shouldn't cost (much?) more than a Devoto's Devotion anyway.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
ibex wrote:
sovyn, whats your take on devoto devotion? it basically removes the drawbacks from the anvil and gives a chunk of chaos res. also comes with a solid amount of armour and evasion

Hi Ibex :)

Devoto's Devotion is just fine except no life. It can work though! Ideally I'd try to find a rare with life, chaos res + elemental res, armor/evasion like that. I know it would not have dps related mods but perhaps better overall than a unique. The rare I mentioned shouldn't cost (much?) more than a Devoto's Devotion anyway.

Ok! Just wondering since the anvil seems so good, frees up so many nodes by the additional 8 block and with some luck it can be bought with corrupted block chance on top of it.
I came up with the idea when I considered he huge amounts of allres that is inherent in the skill tree (especially if you pick up the +15% node at the marauder. So in essence, a lot of the allres already comes free through the tree.
I know it's a big no-no to pick up more allres than is forced to take, but I try to see it as a way of opening up otherwise difficult slots (such as boots/chest/head which are usually otherwise dedicated allres boats).

I would also love to hear your input on my slightly modified version of your build:
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAWGPG2D38Xz_2SMRY7w4UIORRUEfyLxo-6dV5OX7iPC13464-Z5skiz0PxPb7qgY5UWDzBpJ99zJyqdwjmG_lz6IA8B9o8q9sTP81kti9_gq3PsauSshuqrXyvryC5JARiq8e309Wsz_iLAkz0TYVICpNPycs6b6nGbTK04TZwYIvzGLsTUYFLXrvdO2E72BLrK8M96mVwL9AoF4TMk4bl_66fXXTfu969qOvpz3iSO54rhut1op_K3fXVvruDhhdPO8x-3_jxBVHfr02ZU0=

It is basically your build, but I sacrificed some points in the start to use the Marauder in order to gain life&/ar% in the first nodes instead of strength. In addition, I have modified the build to utilize crit chance to make use of the static strikes potential of adding shock stacks.
The +30 int node is just there as an hedge in case I would need it to equip a sick dagger or so, it can/will be respecced into an additional health node or something.

Also, would like to hear your take on the "unyielding" passive, would it be worth sacrificing 3 skill points to achieve +58% armor and 20% crit reduction? It would seem like the one thing that could kill a Lazy Pally endgame would be an unlucky crit getting through the defences.

Love your build and haven't had as much fun levling for a while. I have yet to see my life pool go down to 50% going into mid cruel. (Dominus/Piety and Brutus didn't even manage a single hit on me) :D

Cheers man!
"
ibex wrote:
Ok! Just wondering since the anvil seems so good, frees up so many nodes by the additional 8 block and with some luck it can be bought with corrupted block chance on top of it.
I would also love to hear your input on my slightly modified version of your build:
It is basically your build, but I sacrificed some points in the start to use the Marauder in order to gain life&/ar% in the first nodes instead of strength. In addition, I have modified the build to utilize crit chance to make use of the static strikes potential of adding shock stacks.
The +30 int node is just there as an hedge in case I would need it to equip a sick dagger or so, it can/will be respecced into an additional health node or something.

Also, would like to hear your take on the "unyielding" passive, would it be worth sacrificing 3 skill points to achieve +58% armor and 20% crit reduction? It would seem like the one thing that could kill a Lazy Pally endgame would be an unlucky crit getting through the defences.

I used to use anvil in 1.2 with Rathpith Globe. In 1.3 now there is no way to use it and max block and have enough spell block too unless you use rathpith which forces the use of grace instead of hatred or TS/HoF. Unless one is very careful, he or she would lose a lot of spell block, defenses or dps pursuing this avenue. The guide build is balanced to have a good amount of all of these things at a reasonable cost.

The build you posted might work, but your chance to hit (and thus leech reliably) would be maybe 70%-80% in the endgame. A little crit chance won't make up for that shortfall, unfortunately. Also would lose some damage vs guide build by not taking inner force / devotion (and 1% extra block from TS).

Mara is fine, but would recommend guide build as close as possible, it's been carefully considered to put it mildly. :) The good news is you can easily respec to my build.

I do about 50K dps (calculated total, not including counter-attacks which are always going off) which is enough since I'm very tanky, and leech every single hit so never out of mana.

Unyielding is fine but I'd choose to finish up maxing block or getting a little dps (RT is the best dps node for us by the way, gain thousands just taking that). Unyielding's crit damage reduction is not as good as it sounds. They say 20 but they really mean 5% so effectively there is little difference. Reading material here.

Thanks for the questions and all the best!
Last edited by Sovyn on Jan 10, 2015, 3:56:10 AM
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
ibex wrote:

I used to use anvil in 1.2 with Rathpith Globe. In 1.3 now there is no way to use it and max block and have enough spell block too unless you use rathpith which forces the use of grace instead of hatred or TS/HoF. Unless one is very careful, he or she would lose a lot of spell block, defenses or dps pursuing this avenue. The guide build is balanced to have a good amount of all of these things at a reasonable cost.

The build you posted might work, but your chance to hit (and thus leech reliably) would be maybe 70%-80% in the endgame. A little crit chance won't make up for that shortfall, unfortunately. Also would lose some damage vs guide build by not taking inner force / devotion (and 1% extra block from TS).

Mara is fine, but would recommend guide build as close as possible, it's been carefully considered to put it mildly. :) The good news is you can easily respec to my build.

I do about 50K dps (calculated total, not including counter-attacks which are always going off) which is enough since I'm very tanky, and leech every single hit so never out of mana.

Unyielding is fine but I'd choose to finish up maxing block or getting a little dps (RT is the best dps node for us by the way, gain thousands just taking that). Unyielding's crit damage reduction is not as good as it sounds. They say 20 but they really mean 5% so effectively there is little difference. Reading material here.

Thanks for the questions and all the best!

very kind of you to answer so quickly! I will readjust the tree to get RT and the excessive accuracy nodes and crit nodes will be moved to the buff nodes as you suggested. thanks for the input!
"
ibex wrote:

very kind of you to answer so quickly! I will readjust the tree to get RT and the excessive accuracy nodes and crit nodes will be moved to the buff nodes as you suggested. thanks for the input!

Great! I trust you won't be disappointed :)
I'm installing PoE again after years. Is this build still viable? I only play Hardcore.
Another question, Atziri's boots vs Rainbowstride?

How does "dodge" work? Is it a third way of evading a spell attack? I.e. first the spell checks to go through the block, then the evasion then the dodge?
"
GreatBoBaFeTT wrote:
I'm installing PoE again after years. Is this build still viable? I only play Hardcore.

Hi GreatBoBaFeTT!

Yes, absolutely. The guide is current and up to date. Bear in mind with any build you want to learn all of the "gotchas" that GGG has thrown into the mix before you play hardcore, in order to avoid unnecessary RIPs. If overgeared/overleveled, usually not much of a big deal anyway but just some general advice. :)
"
ibex wrote:
Another question, Atziri's boots vs Rainbowstride?

How does "dodge" work? Is it a third way of evading a spell attack? I.e. first the spell checks to go through the block, then the evasion then the dodge?

Evasion/Ondar's will only be checked for attacks/projectiles, not for spells. Block and dodge chances are equivalent as both are simply random rolls. Dodge then block, but the sequence does not matter that much.

Atziri's Step is excellent but a little less spell avoidance than the max roll Rainbowstrides (19%). You also give up 20 all resists, but gain life which is always good. Bear in mind your counter-attacks will proc less as you will evade more frequently. Either one!
How much difference would it be taking the skill point vs 40 HP from Oak in Normal?
IGN: The_Lurch

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info