[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Added back a mention for molten strike in the viable skills section of the guide.
Oookay, ty for explanations, but why did u recommend to switch it for reave pre 1.3? Does it outscale molten strike in damage too or just provide better AoE?
Last edited by Bisquit on Jan 6, 2015, 4:05:31 AM
"
Bisquit wrote:
Oookay, ty for explanations, but why did u recommend to switch it for reave pre 1.3? Does it outscale molten strike in damage too or just provide better AoE?

Naturally it's a bit buried now, but I did some extensive timed clearing tests around when molten strike was released and Reave was the best of the lot. I heard about how good molten strike was for early game, so figured it was safe to recommend for starting out, The templar got it from the first quest anyway, which made it easy. Clear time did not seem very good with molten strike in end game due to strange aoe pattern probably. Also it did not scale as well as static strike does. Of course, it would not touch the 30k aoe dps I was getting with reave either.
thanks man
stay out of the shadows)
"
01-06-2015 -- Completely overhauled trigger gem section for patch 1.3
Running now pretty much same setup with Duelist using Cyclone, just to remember how bitchy Talic from D2 was. Deathless so far, near a2 Cruel.
I don't have CWDT yet, but with all these shinies the devs gave us, it's even funnier now.
Items
Equip (to show links and give some explanations on those, don't mind the stats)

Cyclone is costly in mana, so BM is a must, LGoH to compensate BM, Faster Attacks to negate AtkSpd loss from Cyclone itself. 99 hp cost with 25 hp LoH, so it's a heal if played careful. If I get 5L, next gem obviously would be MPhD.

Reckoning comes with relatively bad damage, so I've decided that it'd be better in support, and LGoH+IAoE fits great. Tho LGoH effects from 2 gems doesn't stack, well, good leveled LGoH gem sure could be handy to have, and I can always switch it to anything I like. Putting a curse in Reck isn't a good idea imo, 'cause we got Tempest Shield which is another 3L wonder:

Temporal Chains is taken 'cause I rolled BGG and it might prevent the mobs from spreading out quickly, as a Cyclone user I love when they stay in tight packs. Any other curse might be used tho. It's best place for curse, cause basically there's nothing much to do with TSh anyways, except Reduced Mana - and we don't need mana for attacks.

Since Veng works if someone's actually hits me, I'd better get something to stop that, and Blind+ACDmg supposed to give attackers a hard time. Ofc Blind isn't that great with 12% chance at 20 lvl, but anyway.

Riposte is single-target and has more damage than Veng or Reck, so I put there both Leeches and MPhD to maximize the output.

And all three Heralds. I'm too lazy to do the math part, but pretty sure that at low levels Hatred wouldn't give more dps than plain +dmg from Heralds. Maybe I'm totally wrong.
Things to do:
-Get 5L body;
-After getting CWDT get rid from Veng in weapon, put Reck+IAoE+LGoH there, fill the "head" with classic CWDT setup;
-Switch to Hatred+Herald of Ash later.

The tree at 39 44

Btw, bandits... these 40 hp from Oak doesn't looks so promising as they was in before 1.3. 156% hp increase from 120ish tree, if I'm not mistaken in math here, gives about 102 hp. Any 5% node would give us about 200 hp with easy obtainable 4k hp pool, so one point is better. I've killed all three bandits and didn't feel uneasy. Planning to do the very same on Cruel and Merc. Honestly, I'm fed up parlaying with scum. Killing time.

And ofc thanks to Sovyn for the inspiration. Great guide.
Last edited by Vankesidi on Jan 7, 2015, 3:08:41 PM
"
Vankesidi wrote:
And ofc thanks to Sovyn for the inspiration. Great guide.

You're welcome, Vankesidi! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

PS Between ourselves I killed them all back in the day, too. :)
Had a fun experience last night when somebody challenged me to pvp.

I haven't pvp'ed before and thought this was someone looking for an easy win. But I thought why not see what my level 41 lazy pally can do with his self found gear, so I accepted.

He was a marauder and when he found out I had good defences and I could hurt him quite easily, he popped a quicksilver and started running. The first few rounds ended in draws as I couldn't get enough hits in to take him down.

However, I figured out how to corner him and managed to win the last two rounds and get a win in my first pvp experience. It was fun.

This just proves what a great build Sovyn has created here. Having played a ton of different builds since closed beta I must say that this is by far the best build I have ever seen in all aspects. And that is even after a patch that they said killed melee and block builds.

Great job Sovyn on the strongest all round build in the game, still going strong for two years or so.
Last edited by Stefacle on Jan 8, 2015, 3:54:13 PM
"
Stefacle wrote:
Great job Sovyn on the strongest all round build in the game, still going strong for two years or so.

Thanks Stefacle for the amazing bit of praise there.... grats on the win, keep it up. :)
sovyn, whats your take on devoto devotion? it basically removes the drawbacks from the anvil and gives a chunk of chaos res. also comes with a solid amount of armour and evasion

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info