[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Fogel29 wrote:
Nice build, I like its style so far. Question - Why not go armor mastery instead of steel skin?

Thanks for the compliment and for posting your question!

The reason is that, for three points, you get 52% increased armor with steel skin, whereas with armor mastery you get only 43%. The 2% movement speed is not a factor after one has the leather and steel notable and good boots. I don't think 2% would be noticeable in any case.
Update on getting acrobat. This is the current build, I deviated from Sovyn build to get to acrobat as quickly as possible.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAecEswUtBbUUIBjbGS4aMho4GlUdFCFgI00n7SjFMHwyiTboQDZAoERyTDVPfVBHUUdRYFPfVvpXDVfiWfNbr2BLYSFko2aecql0QXTtdPF313rvfNl_K4BWhMSE742_kFWbg57NoLSiAKcwp4SplayqrK-0-cAa0iHUI9aK2WHdDew48B_zvve--tL7qvzF

After getting Acrobat I did Oak and the first two levels of waterfall up to the waypoint. My way to early review is that it is a keeper. Melee seems to hit 20% to 40% less often. Range hits maybe 10% to 20% less often. I don't recommend for anyone to take it this early, this is just a test. Here is my gear and some of my stats, I'm currently at level 60.

Heavy Strike 3700 dps (this is the only skill that I don't have to use mana pots)

Tempest Shield (It's a pain to swap in reduce mana each time I cast TS. I still haven't decided on the fourth gem. The three I'm considering is Elemental Prolif., Added Chaos, or Lightning Penetration)

Shield Charge (Great skill for this build. I don't know if the desync I'm experiencing is due to playing a melee build or multistrike or something else, but SC at a monster will let me know if it is there or not, plus SC will let you close the gap with any monster very quickly. Faster Attack will increase its DPS by 20 to 30 percent)

Enduring Cry (Tempted to get an endurance charge from Oak in Merciless but choose the skill point instead)

Enfeeble (I think that this curse is mandatory. Reducing the monster's accuracy makes your evasion so much better)

Molten Shell (This is the only skill that I'm unsure off. I think that by the time I get to Maps that this skill will do a ton of damage when it goes off. Ideally I'll three link this with Increase Duration, and Increse Burning Damage or Fire Penetration but I ran out of fusings)

These are my current stats

Chance to Evade 36% (Ondar's Keystone gives me 72% chance to evade projectile attacks)
Chance to Dodge 20%
Chance to Block 69% (with Tempest Shield. My next two points will max it at 75)
Chance to Block Spells 43%

Here's my gear. They are all self found except for the shield. I crafted the 5 links with 6 fusings.

Edit: The Slithepinch solves your Mana leech and life leech problem, plus it gives you attack speed and Dex in the early game. I would love to get all 3 auras linked together. I burned up a lot of chroms to get red sockets on dex gears. I'm only running Grace, Anger, and Wrath at the moment.
Last edited by IchiMorghulis on Jun 23, 2013, 2:09:42 AM
"
IchiMorghulis wrote:
Update on getting acrobat. This is the current build, I deviated from Sovyn build to get to acrobat as quickly as possible.

After getting Acrobat I did Oak and the first two levels of waterfall up to the waypoint. My way to early review is that it is a keeper. Melee seems to hit 20% to 40% less often. Range hits maybe 10% to 20% less often. I don't recommend for anyone to take it this early, this is just a test. Here is my gear and some of my stats, I'm currently at level 60.

Heavy Strike 3700 dps (this is the only skill that I don't have to use mana pots)

Tempest Shield (It's a pain to swap in reduce mana each time I cast TS. I still haven't decided on the fourth gem. The three I'm considering is Elemental Prolif., Added Chaos, or Lightning Penetration)

Shield Charge (Great skill for this build. I don't know if the desync I'm experiencing is due to playing a melee build or multistrike or something else, but SC at a monster will let me know if it is there or not, plus SC will let you close the gap with any monster very quickly. Faster Attack will increase its DPS by 20 to 30 percent)

Enduring Cry (Tempted to get an endurance charge from Oak in Merciless but choose the skill point instead)

Enfeeble (I think that this curse is mandatory. Reducing the monster's accuracy makes your evasion so much better)

Molten Shell (This is the only skill that I'm unsure off. I think that by the time I get to Maps that this skill will do a ton of damage when it goes off. Ideally I'll three link this with Increase Duration, and Increse Burning Damage or Fire Penetration but I ran out of fusings)

These are my current stats

Chance to Evade 36% (Ondar's Keystone gives me 72% chance to evade projectile attacks)
Chance to Dodge 20%
Chance to Block 69% (with Tempest Shield. My next two points will max it at 75)
Chance to Block Spells 43%

Great start! My only worry is what happens when a big hit makes it past all of the random defenses. :) Sure, you are immune to 90%+ of attacks, but that 10% could be a major problem considering the life nodes and armor sacrificed the reach acro. Not that I'm big on armor, but I think at least 3000 is essential as your best armor is those first few thousand.

Enfeeble is great. I've been considering it, but I just don't want to have to bother with curses - see the "lazy" title of thread. :) Fortunately this build is strong enough as to not need it too much. We'll see on late map bosses. I'm sure it would help to face tank Kole too.

Another good support for Molten Shell probably would be concentrated effect.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jun 23, 2013, 2:22:28 AM
I'm gonna keep Acrobat for now to test it into Act III. My next ten nodes will be the two blocks than the life nodes nearby and around the templar area. I don't intend to take nodes from the Maurader area. Here is my next ten points.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAecEswUtBbUUIBjbGS4aMho4GlUdFCFgI00n7SjFMHwyiTboQDZAoERyTDVPfVBHUUdRYFPfVvpXDVfiWfNbr2BLYSFko2aecql0QXTtdPF313rvfNl_K4BWhMSE742_kFWbg57NoLSiAKcwp4SplayqrK-0-cAa0iHUI9aK18vZYd0N7DjuDvAf8773vvrS-6r8xbfTPeJnoId2Sn2quKp_hxk26eNq

I hope this works out.

Whenever I see my life dips which is not often, I Immediately spam life pots. I haven't been 1 shot yet. (knock on wood)

I think Act III will be a good test for Acrobat in this build, I'll keep u up to date.
Last edited by IchiMorghulis on Jun 23, 2013, 2:35:43 AM
"
IchiMorghulis wrote:
I'm gonna keep Acrobat for now to test it into Act III. My next ten nodes will be the two blocks than the life nodes nearby and around the templar area. I don't intend to take nodes from the Maurader area.

I hope this works out.

Me too! Best of luck. :)
Just a quick update. I just did Sarn at level 60 and Slums and Crematorium at level 61. I often jump into very large packs and took some hits from them but they were all manageable. The life leech from the Slitherpinch glove is awesome. I used two topaz flask against crem. Piety and my life never dip. Since this build is working out so well for me right now I revise my plan build for the next ten points.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAecEswUtBbUUIBjbGS4aMho4GlUdFCFgI00n7SjFMHwyiTboQDZAoERyTDVPfVBHUUdRYFPfVvpXDVfiWfNbr2BLYSFko2aecql0QXTtdPF313rvfNl_K4BWhMSE742_kFWbg57NoLSiAKcwp4SplayqrK-0-bfTwBrSIdQj1orXy9lh3Q3sOO4O8B_zvve--tL7qvzFPeJnoId2Sn1Y24TZbmm-p9JNwA8=

As a recap, I was not over level for the area. Sarn city is lvl 60 and Slums and Crem are 61.

"
IchiMorghulis wrote:
Just a quick update. I just did Sarn at level 60 and Slums and Crematorium at level 61. I often jump into very large packs and took some hits from them but they were all manageable. The life leech from the Slitherpinch glove is awesome. I used two topaz flask against crem. Piety and my life never dip.
As a recap, I was not over level for the area. Sarn city is lvl 60 and Slums and Crem are 61.

Great. :) Yes, one of the things I noticed as well is the ability to do areas without being over leveled. :)
I ran a routine level 66 map today looking for level 67 maps to replenish my supply.

The map had 47% increased pack size and 2 additional repetitions of monster's skills. So somewhat challenging for some.

I made a quick video of the start (the whole map would have been too long):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2pmx8s99o4

The boss at the end, Penitentiary Incarcerator, was not hard, but I did use enfeeble on him just to be extra safe. I'm thinking of making an exception to my "no curses" rule for only hard hitting bosses. After all, I still have well under 3000 life with my very modest items.

Incidentally, I found four maps, a record for me in one map:

The upcoming patch makes it possible for shield charge to work with melee splash. Another possibility for this build?
"
Route1 wrote:
The upcoming patch makes it possible for shield charge to work with melee splash. Another possibility for this build?

Yes, I saw that. I think it would work!

When I tried shield charge last, I was not impressed because it seemed to do no damage unless I ran back away from the monsters and re-charged into the pile. Very inefficient. I seem to recall they fixed that bug though so might be worth another look after the patch.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info