[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Hey Sovyn, can I ask why you decided to ditch the mana reserved nodes? I thought they were essential to running Tempest + Grace + Hatred. Did you decide to ditch some auras? If so can you go into a bit of detail as to your thinking on this?

Cheers!
"
Yosharian wrote:
Hey Sovyn, can I ask why you decided to ditch the mana reserved nodes? I thought they were essential to running Tempest + Grace + Hatred. Did you decide to ditch some auras? If so can you go into a bit of detail as to your thinking on this?

Cheers!

Hi! The guide was fully updated with that information yesterday. :)

Basically, I'm using the shield for evasion and no longer need grace, so no need for the mana reservation nodes.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Yosharian wrote:

Cheers!

Hi! The guide was fully updated with that information yesterday. :)

Basically, I'm using the shield for evasion and no longer need grace, so no need for the mana reservation nodes.

Yeah I was just wondering why you ditched it, thanks for the response.

Do you think Grace becomes more crucial for an Unwavering Stance + Iron Reflexes character, or can it be ditched for that type of character as well? I've heard people say that Grace + IR is one of the best things to run.

Thanks for the help man.
"
Yosharian wrote:

Do you think Grace becomes more crucial for an Unwavering Stance + Iron Reflexes character, or can it be ditched for that type of character as well? I've heard people say that Grace + IR is one of the best things to run.

People say that, but armour is not great in PoE, so I'm not sure why anyone would think that.

Evasion + Ondar's + block is better, always has been.

That said, if you want to go IR, sure, probably run grace to get more armour. But you would give up tempest shield and herald of ash plus some damage nodes to get the IR and US. So the chracter would be less tanky and less dps'y too. :)
General update - the screenshots of my current stats have been updated in the guide. Yeah, I need some upgrades to fix my resists. I'm not actually playing yet, got other characters to respec. Thus is the treadmill that is PoE. :)
In other news, the new unique item Great Old One's Ward Corrugated Buckler released in 1.3 was designed by a fellow lazy pally for our little build here, with minor input from yours truly.

I'm looking for feedback on how viable it is with the build. Maybe with facebreaker, or not.

Obviously the anvil would be the amulet choice if one wanted to max block with this new shield.

Have fun!
Hi Sovyn,
I like this build, any thoughts on these items?
a. Rathpith Globe + Atziri's Step
b. Thousand Teeth Temu + Rainbowstride

both using Stone of Lazhwar
life: 75 + 10% vs 90
a. win
resist: 25 lightning vs 20 all
b. win
block: both 75%.
Rathpith Globe may need The Bringer of Rain to get max block, Thousand Teeth Temu may save several nodes.
spell block: 75% vs 56%
with 16% spell dodge, a. has about twice as much as effective life as b. for spell defense.
defense:
a. has more energy shield
b. has more evasion rating
other:
a. has 10% more movement speed
b. has life leech
Last edited by wyt2004 on Dec 14, 2014, 10:54:51 PM
"
wyt2004 wrote:
Hi Sovyn,
I like this build, any thoughts on these items?
a. Rathpith Globe + Atziri's Step
b. Thousand Teeth Temu + Rainbowstride

both using Stone of Lazhwar
life: 75 + 10% vs 90
a. win
resist: 25 lightning vs 20 all
b. win
block: both 75%.
Rathpith Globe may need The Bringer of Rain to get max block, Thousand Teeth Temu may save several nodes.
spell block: 75% vs 56%
with 16% spell dodge, a. has about twice as much as effective life as b. for spell defense.
defense:
a. has more energy shield
b. has more evasion rating
other:
a. has 10% more movement speed
b. has life leech

Hi there wyt,

I'm using setup B the last couple days, see page one.

I think you would have a very hard time maxing both the block and resists with current BoR. With rathpith, you would have to use anvil. Rathpith/anvil is a decent setup, that's what I used in 1.2, but since the nerf of rathpith 30->25, was facing the prospect of having to get a corrupted anvil to max block, which is expensive. A 2% block lazhwar+Temu is much cheaper, so I went that way, kind of as an example of how the build is viable for cheap.

You can get about 10 more spell block than my setup with the rathpith + corrupted anvil route as you will have 66-ish spell block.

Block numbers, BoR 6%, 36% from tree, 8% anvil, 25 rathpith - 75

Sovereignty instead of inner force - rathpith 25%, anvil 8% + 2% corruption, tempest 4, tree 36 - 75 (and an easier time maxing resists)

One issue with rathpith/anvil is no evasion from shield, so have to run grace, which means you lose the 5 block TS/herald of ash dps. Just makes things harder and moves away from my build. So, trading some dps for 10 more spell block, eh, either way but I like the current approach I have in the guide and it's a bit cheaper.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Yosharian wrote:

People say that, but armour is not great in PoE, so I'm not sure why anyone would think that.

Evasion + Ondar's + block is better, always has been.

That said, if you want to go IR, sure, probably run grace to get more armour. But you would give up tempest shield and herald of ash plus some damage nodes to get the IR and US. So the chracter would be less tanky and less dps'y too. :)

Hmm.

The thing is, I've always been under the impression that being immune to stun is a BIG deal in this game for melee shield users, but of course my experience is only as far as level 50, I don't have experience of 75+ gameplay/content. So would you say that stun is not that big a problem? I play standard league so dying occasionally to some derpy low-probability stunlock is not a worry for me, however some people seem to think US is good because it allows you to block more reliably, and other reasons.

While you're here, another question (sorry!): do you think Inner Force is still an essential pickup given that you're recommending dropping Grace/Determination, if so why? If it helps, my Templar is my 'solo' character (so I won't be getting auras from others). It would obviously save me a lot of points if I dropped it, I would be able to reach Ondar's a lot easier. Inner Force seems like such a 'make auras better' skill.
Last edited by Yosharian on Dec 15, 2014, 1:39:38 PM
"
Yosharian wrote:

So would you say that stun is not that big a problem?

It's not even remotely a factor for us. Maybe in other games, but not PoE, unless you run a CI build.

"
do you think Inner Force is still an essential pickup given that you're recommending dropping Grace/Determination, if so why?

The 6 points for shaper and inner force gets you: 1% life regen, which is another ~40 life per second, 40% mana regen which can't hurt, and higher dps from hatred, higher dps from herald of ash, and, along with Devotion, which I also take, 1% more block from tempest shield, and probably something else I'm forgetting. Will also save you quite a bit of coin if you want to max block. The price difference between a 2% and 3% block corruption on an amulet is quite a bit, unless you do it yourself and get very lucky.
Last edited by Sovyn on Dec 15, 2014, 4:50:45 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info