[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Well I'm looking into using similar build for new leagues, hopefully passive tree changes won't do harm (or too much harm to it).

Played with combination of Dragon's Infernal Tank and boxsalesman Inf blow and have some questions for you. If you could take some time to adress 'em, I'd really appreciate it.

----

Any chance you could make a lvl 60-65 or so passive tree that could include life regen? I've had 2 deaths (hc league) to me afk'ing in maps(I multi-tak often). Just to random white trash. Me almost muting sound and entering "clear screen" area etc. ? Regen and tempest shield should help a bit. heh

Can this be done with marauder/duelist? And what are pro/cons? I'll be mostly playin' in party with friends and having a role of a tank... those marauder nodes are pretty good, any reason for not getting 'em? Point efficiency?

And lastly on Ondar's Guille, and evasion in general you said it's not random, "lucky" etc. In which sense, I didn't quite grasp it... in a sense where if you had 25% chance to evade it's be, hit/miss/hit/hit.... hit/hit/hit/miss. Some of those, then repeated? Or?
EDIT: With which enemies do you see most benefits from Ondar's? Tentacle thingies, voidbearers... or just regular archers etc?

Thanks in advance,
GoranH

EDIT 2: Been reading through last 20 pages or so... Props to you, you seem like a really pleasant person. ;)
[1.1.0] Invasion/Ambush - Exiled Fiery Dragons (self-found / newbie friendly / invasion tested)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/816814
Last edited by GoranH on Feb 20, 2014, 12:42:39 AM
"
GoranH wrote:
Well I'm looking into using similar build for new leagues, hopefully passive tree changes won't do harm (or too much harm to it).

Played with combination of Dragon's Infernal Tank and boxsalesman Inf blow and have some questions for you. If you could take some time to adress 'em, I'd really appreciate it.

----

Any chance you could make a lvl 60-65 or so passive tree that could include life regen? I've had 2 deaths (hc league) to me afk'ing in maps(I multi-tak often). Just to random white trash. Me almost muting sound and entering "clear screen" area etc. ? Regen and tempest shield should help a bit. heh

Can this be done with marauder/duelist? And what are pro/cons? I'll be mostly playin' in party with friends and having a role of a tank... those marauder nodes are pretty good, any reason for not getting 'em? Point efficiency?

And lastly on Ondar's Guille, and evasion in general you said it's not random, "lucky" etc. In which sense, I didn't quite grasp it... in a sense where if you had 25% chance to evade it's be, hit/miss/hit/hit.... hit/hit/hit/miss. Some of those, then repeated? Or?
EDIT: With which enemies do you see most benefits from Ondar's? Tentacle thingies, voidbearers... or just regular archers etc?

Thanks in advance,
GoranH

Hi GoranH. :) This build does fine in hardcore as is.

I'll be happy to address your questions.

Life regen: Will not make the difference if AFK in maps. :) Regen is a minor stat and it's available commonly in gear. That said, if you have decent gear you won't need the resist node(s) so you can take the 1% by templar start instead. That's 2.5% with the duelist area 1.5%. Aegis Aurora, at least in its current state, is about the only thing that will allow you to AFK and survive several light trash mobs. The stock build will survive a while vs. one white trash mob, but it comes down to luck.

Classes: This build can be done approximately with most classes except shadow/witch. There are tradeoffs to all of them. If nothing else, mostly you won't get your fist block nodes and damage nodes as quickly, or RT is farther away so you wallow in a state of whiffing. The builds with other starting points that I've seen (and made) lose something vs. Templar. That's why I've stuck with the old guy so long -- he just works. For example, Mara takes too many points getting out of his starting area and not much of that is terribly useful for the amount of points. Too many strength nodes, crit reduction was nerfed a while back, no longer very good, 0.4 regen not useful.....and there is no damage there at all. Might change in 1.1.

Evasion - with 50% evade (quite possible with this build) you get hit every other time. No chance to get hit twice in a row. Then with Ondar's, you would have 100% chance to block projectiles, but this is rounded down to evasion cap, which is 95%. That means that anything that issues projectiles (Piety's archer form, splitting voidbearers, etc) cannot damage you -- this is huge. After all that, block is checked. After that, armour, which, for most people only mitigates the small hits anyway so not that useful but we take a little to smooth things out, and after that, life.
"
Sovyn wrote:

Ho, daish0. :) Looks alright. I'd say that Aspect of the Panther is not that great because you have a wasted point leading into it, so you really have to divide its benefits in half. I'd say take Seasoned Sinew instead (44% damage). You can get the one additional point from the 10% resist node if your gear is decent, or from a block node if you have BoR/Anvil.

I'd also take 20% life over elemental adaptation and just work a purity or two into your group aura setup, pertinent to the area/encounter.

Yep, was not very happy with that wasted point. Seasoned Sinew was the first thing which cought my eye while I looked into this build the first time ... but somehow I forgot about that.
Changed my build again a little bit, now without the 12% resistance node (I'm sure that hurts on the new league without top gear?) and therefore went another way to save points.

Don't know how important Golem's Blood is for Life Regen though?

I stayed with the Max-Res as somehow I don't think physical damage will be a big problem for that build and wanted to maximize mitigation against elemental (e.g. facetanking merciless dominus, if that's possible with mediocre self-found gear) and spell damage.
"
+30 Strength
-10 Dexterity
+10 Intelligence

+15 Maximum Life
-56% Maximum Life
+ 5 Maximum Mana
-1,5% Life Regenerated per Second

+50% Physical Damage
- 8% Area Damage
-12% Radius of Area Skills

+ 8% Evasion Rating and Armour
+ 2% Energy Shield
- 2% Evasion Rating
-12% Elemental Resistances
+ 2% Maximum Resistances

+24% Increased Effect of Buffs on You

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAhMREckA2I020-fAfBLOiAIFvnjxN2Ix2OtjsOBo4p4SQVcAaWfNmnqyq-tIn7XKpcH026R0U89182fcyqZWAVuNqj0ZMNfjrGjJPfdDQM5anCCjFQapRYM9lcz-4k_O-8YoUcVXGQYwMfSdPpzAQfwHn974UIMaeNuhQR1iveA2pbr6KFz5sRrXyAdxybG6qNZKkGTIJSsj-jxv6TeMl36ZXhNkxnm5pWNu-p1Pf0k2bg6yvwA-E7-eR1e107cOGapO2QU4qW6_dDfzFVvpnoO4OdEGHdhrbd9dKfdfLfyu309aKPeJI7hutZU1HftE2
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
ata wrote:
Hey guys, I`m just wondering how fares your dps after taking all the damage nodes in this build? Does it pack enough punch for end-game?

Hi ata. :) Depends on gear, we have lazy pallies that do anywhere from 2K to 30K DPS and everything in between with my build. Around 16K seems pretty common with the usual items that casual traders have. That would be more with vulnerability on CWDT, of course.

Thanks for the answer, mate.
This is my first POE char, (made 3 or so weeks ago) and the Lazy Pally has been perfect :). Facetanking everything and now soloing maps, going to try dominus soon since I was able to pick up a low roll rainbowstride for 1 ex :D. (I forget where I found the ex, sometime when I didn't know its worth :P)

A good amount of my early-mid items were donated by kind people that rushed me also :). The 5l and Rustic Sash were given by a guy named TTTANNNKKKK or something after I bought a gem from him and started chatting with him.

Currently at lvl 76 getting ~5.7k damage on tooltip with hatred (0.2 aps, so I guess ~28k dps??), 72% block with tempest shield, and 57% spell block.

Last edited by Rawnur on Feb 20, 2014, 7:31:31 AM
"
daish0 wrote:

Yep, was not very happy with that wasted point. Seasoned Sinew was the first thing which cought my eye while I looked into this build the first time ... but somehow I forgot about that.
Changed my build again a little bit, now without the 12% resistance node (I'm sure that hurts on the new league without top gear?) and therefore went another way to save points.

Don't know how important Golem's Blood is for Life Regen though?

I stayed with the Max-Res as somehow I don't think physical damage will be a big problem for that build and wanted to maximize mitigation against elemental (e.g. facetanking merciless dominus, if that's possible with mediocre self-found gear) and spell damage.

If you are not going for diamond flesh or golem's blood, there was a problem with the route. The following build gets you 8% more life and you free up one point to spend on something else. LINK

As to life regen, you do need a little from somewhere to handle the chaos over time mod on maps. You can get it from gear if you want.

I would not try Dominus in merciless with "mediocre" self found gear on hardcore. That goes for any build, of course. :)
"
Rawnur wrote:
This is my first POE char, (made 3 or so weeks ago) and the Lazy Pally has been perfect :). Facetanking everything and now soloing maps, going to try dominus soon since I was able to pick up a low roll rainbowstride for 1 ex :D. (I forget where I found the ex, sometime when I didn't know its worth :P)

A good amount of my early-mid items were donated by kind people that rushed me also :). The 5l and Rustic Sash were given by a guy named TTTANNNKKKK or something after I bought a gem from him and started chatting with him.

Currently at lvl 76 getting ~5.7k damage on tooltip with hatred (0.2 aps, so I guess ~28k dps??), 72% block with tempest shield, and 57% spell block.

Hi Rawnur. :) Good start! The attack speed is already calculated into the tooltip. So, 5.7K it is. A few weeks ago (I guess it's buried now, posted copy below in spoiler) I posted various skills and the clearing time. Reave is better than double strike, you may want to give it a shot.

Don't forget that gem levels and quality make a big difference. Also, stick vulnerability on CWDT instead of arctic breath.

Spoiler
Here is some research I've been working on.

Update 02.01.2014 added ground slam and reave with increased area
Update 01.22.2014 added heavy strike with splash, cyclone with concentrated
Update 01.18.2014 added cleave, cyclone, spectral throw.

I've been full clearing the Merciless Archives (over and over and over) with no movement speed items or skills (which obviously would speed things up, but to make the results more consistent, I did not use them). The Archives is a fairly good and somewhat consistent testing area.

This is all to show (approximately) which skill combos are most efficient with this build. The DPS tooltip number actually has little to do with it, thus this research.

Of course, I am limited as I don't have many linked items to choose from. But it is still interesting.

Each skill has been run several times with a stopwatch until the area is fully clear and the run times averaged for greater accuracy.

Here are the average clear times for various skill and support gem configurations, ranked from good to terrible:

reave - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks - concentrated effect
456 seconds

cyclone - concentrated effect - faster attacks - blood magic - life leech (note: risky)
518 seconds

cyclone - melee physical damage - faster attacks - blood magic (note: risky)
583 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - faster attacks
594 seconds

heavy strike - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
607 seconds

ground slam - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks - mana leech
613 seconds

infernal blow - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
625 seconds

reave - multistrike - increased area of effect - faster attacks - concentrated effect
627 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - faster attacks - concentrated effect
656 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
657 seconds

heavy strike - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks
776 seconds

double strike - melee splash - blood magic - faster attacks - increased area of effect
817 seconds

cleave - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks
858 seconds

spectral throw - lesser multiple projectiles - faster attacks - added fire damage - blood magic
958 seconds

infernal blow - faster attacks - mana leech - melee splash - concentrated effect
1031 seconds

infernal blow - mana leech - melee splash - melee physical damage
1223 seconds
Last edited by Sovyn on Feb 20, 2014, 2:03:01 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
If you are not going for diamond flesh or golem's blood, there was a problem with the route. The following build gets you 8% more life and you free up one point to spend on something else. LINK

As to life regen, you do need a little from somewhere to handle the chaos over time mod on maps. You can get it from gear if you want.

I would not try Dominus in merciless with "mediocre" self found gear on hardcore. That goes for any build, of course. :)

Thanks, that build is perfect for me :)
"
daish0 wrote:
Thanks, that build is perfect for me :)

You're welcome. :)

Hey, thanks for a great guide! I've learned some nice things here even though I'm not following the passive tree in detail (I took the two Axe wheels for more damage and Armour).

Just wanted to ask at which level you usually reach full 75% block? I'm going for most of the block nodes right now, but still won't get to more than 70% using Tempest Shield at level 60, and I need more life as well as more damage since things don't die as easily in Merciless...

You also mentioned the Anvil amulet, but it doesn't seem that crucial. Could you expand on that? Because to me it seems like a poor man's Aegis, which is exactly what this build wants (short of having the real one). Adding tankiness while killing monsters just by blocking seems very strong here.

Finally just wanted to show off the nice one-hander I bought for two Chaos - not very fast but hits hard enough I think.

scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info