[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Vulpix0r wrote:
It's really scary though, just the thought of playing Merciless without the Life Leech gem kinda scares me. I've been so dependent on the Life Leech gem to just sit down and hit the blue flamers at the dock without even batting an eyelid.

If you use Crest of Perandus and get blood drinker, that's 5%. You can use a claw with reave too. Claws have an implicit leech mod on them.

But really, all you need for the voidbearers is a little spell block (I have 47% from Lazhwar) and max fire resist.

That said, if survivability is more important to you than damage, go ahead and keep your life leech gem. I just think we have enough survivability without it. :)
"
kynaibaf wrote:
Hi Sovyn thanks for the build, have been following it for my first playthrough so far. Had a blast all the way to Act 3 Cruel, but seem to have hit a wall as i've really been struggling with the voidbearers (of all things!) in the docks. I was wondering if it's anything to do with my gear as I've been sticking closely to the recommended passive skill tree progression. Will appreciate any advice from everyone, thanks!

Hello, kynaibaf!

For voidbearers, you need 75 fire resist on your character sheet. After that, max out your block (75 as well) to ensure that Lazhwar can do its thing. :) We get Ondar's Guile later on as well, which, combined with Grace and evasion gear, will help too as voidbearers can have the extra projectiles mod.
"
Can I apply Avatar of fire; change to ignite and incre burning damage with Reave?

That would be a nerf to your character as physical damage is resisted less and leeches more. Not to mention that Avatar of Fire only Converts 50% of physical, lightning, and cold damage to fire and you Can't deal non-fire damage, so right away you lose half your damage. I believe this keystone is for a very specialized build only.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Vulpix0r wrote:
It's really scary though, just the thought of playing Merciless without the Life Leech gem kinda scares me. I've been so dependent on the Life Leech gem to just sit down and hit the blue flamers at the dock without even batting an eyelid.

If you use Crest of Perandus and get blood drinker, that's 5%. You can use a claw with reave too. Claws have an implicit leech mod on them.

But really, all you need for the voidbearers is a little spell block (I have 47% from Lazhwar) and max fire resist.

That said, if survivability is more important to you than damage, go ahead and keep your life leech gem. I just think we have enough survivability without it. :)

I guess I've been rather spoilt by my LL gem when it dropped for me in Cruel. Never even crossed my mind to play without it. I already have max fire resist, so I'm guessing I'll be fine? I spam Enduring Cry a lot, because I'm sort of the "tank" when I play with my lightning bow buddy. He wipes out all the trash for me while I use Heavy Strike to beat the crap out of single target bosses like champions.

Kinda inspired right now to try without life leech gem now, will probably do it tonight.
Found this ring today, I think it's the best thing I've found playing so far:

Last edited by Radagastt on Jan 21, 2014, 8:59:53 PM
"
Vulpix0r wrote:

I guess I've been rather spoilt by my LL gem when it dropped for me in Cruel. Never even crossed my mind to play without it. I already have max fire resist, so I'm guessing I'll be fine? I spam Enduring Cry a lot, because I'm sort of the "tank" when I play with my lightning bow buddy. He wipes out all the trash for me while I use Heavy Strike to beat the crap out of single target bosses like champions.

Kinda inspired right now to try without life leech gem now, will probably do it tonight.

Up to you, but you can do more damage without it, and I certainly don't need it. 47% spell block, 75% fire resist, 75% block, 40% physical mitigation, 42% evade, 84% projectile evade (not shown).
"
Radagastt wrote:
Found this ring today, I think it's the best thing I've found playing so far:

Nice boost to resists right there. :)
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Vulpix0r wrote:

Up to you, but you can do more damage without it, and I certainly don't need it. 47% spell block, 75% fire resist, 75% block, 40% physical mitigation, 42% evade, 84% projectile evade (not shown).

Gonna try it out without the life leech gem. Maybe I'll put in multistrike AND faster attacks on heavy strike. I like to live dangerously. :D
havent posted here in a while, so thought I would.

I am level 85 in Domination now - and still having a lot of fun.

My DPS is quite meh, but I am okay with it, mainly because even if I had 10 times my DPS I
STILL would only move from screen to screen at a snail's pace (I literally CAN NOT move fast through any area without checking every thing for a minute :-(). My friends find it amusing I take like 15 minutes to solo a 66 map, while they solo clear level 75 maps within that time easily :( They are also amused by my 3K HP heh, but I have to go out of my way and try to die etc (or some poison bomb thrower packs get lucky, etc) so I am quite happy :)

Anyway - I focussed on getting IIR/Q up reasonably - and I have gotten one alpha howl so far. (IIR 260s with secondary attack linked to IIR gem, IIQ 41) - This is domination so no IIQ other than on unique items.

I enjoy this character still quite a lot, but feel that once 80+, it is kind of the "end of end game" unless you do a lot of 75 or 76 maps etc, and I dont plan to.

I am thinking of trying out another character/build - anyone got any ideas? Preferably reasonably lazy like this one :) Anything which involves frenetic actions or needs rapid movement/non-stop killing etc is out of the question!

Thought would ask other lazy souls here :D
Last edited by MildlyClever on Jan 21, 2014, 10:35:23 PM
"
MildlyClever wrote:
havent posted here in a while, so thought I would.

I am level 85 in Domination now - and still having a lot of fun.

Thanks for the update, MildlyClever! Good to hear from you.

I do find that the time spent in between monster packs makes a big difference in terms of my clear time, so I'm currently experimenting with movement skills like whirling blades. I find I can get away without movement speed on my boots if I use it a lot. Does feel a bit more hectic though. ;D

Reave and cyclone are certainly more efficient than most skills clearing, even though the tooltip DPS is lower. Currently recommending reave in the guide as the first choice. My stopwatch clear time research backs that up. Cyclone is much riskier (due to blood magic support requirement and high life drain from skill use) but almost as efficient as reave.

As to different types of characters that have an easy play style, probably a zombie / spectre summoner.

Level 80 is a soft cap for any build as the experience slows to a snail's pace unless you get into 70+ maps. Some people trade for a starter map pool to get going rather than waiting for 70+ maps to drop for them, which can be slow. This reality may change at some point in the future when (hopefully) GGG adds to the storyline. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info