[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Radagastt wrote:

If you advise switching to Reave for endgame, does that mean a sword is ultimately the best weapon for this build?

Careful with the word "best" :D That would be a legacy soul taker.....

But yes, a sword or claw for most mortals. I'm doing intensive testing with different attack skills and supports as regular readers may know, and reave has the best clear times I've seen so far. Bear in mind, that's with junk gear, so YMMV. :) I have also not tested ground slam much other than "yeah, that works good..." I think I got a lazy pally to all of level 20 with it one time, and also cleared the merciless docks just to be sure it was competitive, but no stopwatch runs yet 'till it's leveled more.

You won't have the dex for much 'till later on..... 60+?

Yeah. Right now I'm doing heavy strike for single target and ground slam for groups. Working pretty well, but I do need a stronger mace moving forward.
"
Xeneize wrote:
"
Mithrandelat wrote:
"
Xeneize wrote:

Anyhow, my gear is almost complete, I traded for some godly Rainbow and plan to perfect my BoR and my Aegis with divines. I also need better gloves and belt... but happy so far

Id recommend a Meginords for Belt, especially since you dont need the Manaleech from Wurms with Soultaker.

Yup that's pretty much the one i'm, set for if not a good rare. Thanks

The trouble with meginord's is that it does not have a large chunk of armour like a good rare can, or resists. If you don't need resists and your damage reduction is showing 40%+, go for it imo, nice damage and life.
"
nimroo wrote:

I appreciate your help. Your point of view and experience is really very valuable for me. That clear and reasonable answer helped me made the best decision right now, i think. The most important is to heave pure fun with the game without needless frustration :D

Thank you once again.

Absolutely. :)

Do remember too that you can get by quite well with a mere 5-link (that's all I have). A 5-link is usually very affordable, and actually possible to find as a drop or craft (150 to 1 odds to 5-link on a 6 socket, approximately). However, unless you are determined to stay 100% self found, do yourself a favor and just trade a couple chaos or gcp for one already linked. :D No need to gamble. You can get by with just a 4-link with this build though. One final tip: check the npc vendors each time you level, they sometimes (rarely) have a 5-link for sale for ultra low cost, and that could be scoured and alchemy until you have something decent.
Hi Sovyn

Thanks a lot for this build and superior guide for it.

I'm using this build for my first character ever. Yesterday I hit 70 and since level ~55 I only use Heavy Strike with Multistrike, Melee Splash and Melee Physical Damage both for groups and bosses/champions.

Before that i used Ground Slam for groups and Heavy Strike for single target but after buying Multistrike i switched to above configuration and it was huge improvement.

Maybe you will innclude this setup in your test runs ?
"
phaedran wrote:
Maybe this has been asked, but I didn't want to look through 150 pages, but can you extrapolate on using facebreaker with this build? First, what gem combination do you recommend? I am doing a infernal - melee physical damage - mana leech - added fire damage AND a cyclone - increased AoE - melee physical damage - life leech - blood magic. Also, when using facebreaker/meginord's/anvil/BoR it seems like you really need good tri-resist boots. Is there a better way to reach resist caps while supporting facebreaker with this build? Thanks.

That combination of uniques does put strain on your rings and boots for resists. No way around it. :) Remember we do take 50% resists on the tree, a lot more than most builds, and you can go for all of those nodes before level 80 if you want.

Possible Attack skills with facebreaker - Dominating Blow, Infernal Blow, Cyclone, Elemental Hit, Frenzy.

Out of those, I'd eliminate Elemental Hit for sure. The others would need to be tested out to see if you can keep up on the mana/life draw.

I know many folks with soul taker have had great success with Dominating Blow, usually with heavy strike as backup for the bosses. Perhaps cyclone since you can't use heavy strike. Only trouble with cyclone is it will drain your life badly when you desync, making you rather vulnerable.

Infernal - well, without curses it's not that great end game due to high fire resists, but it works. See my research on page 241 (I'm still expanding my data - will update at a later time).
"
maras1666 wrote:
Hi Sovyn

Thanks a lot for this build and superior guide for it.

I'm using this build for my first character ever. Yesterday I hit 70 and since level ~55 I only use Heavy Strike with Multistrike, Melee Splash and Melee Physical Damage both for groups and bosses/champions.

Before that i used Ground Slam for groups and Heavy Strike for single target but after buying Multistrike i switched to above configuration and it was huge improvement.

Maybe you will innclude this setup in your test runs ?

Hi maras1666. :)

Sure, I can do that. I've got cleave, cyclone and spectral throw results coming up. I'll make a new post today or tomorrow with all the skill combos ranked. After that I'll work on the heavy strike with splash, and ground slam (it's still only level 13 though, could be a bit).
Last edited by Sovyn on Jan 17, 2014, 3:20:13 PM
This might be a weird question, but I'll just throw it out there and see what happens...

So I've got like a lvl 71 Temp thats based on this build, but I really need a culler for groups and such.
You guys think it'd be possible to change the tree a little bit and rock a wand for power siphon? Maybe just drop the "increased melee dmg" nodes in favor for some accuracy/ crit nodes.
Has anybody done anything like this? I want to stack as much MF gear as possible, but I'm sure my nice shield with max block and Ondars will help
"
nbriles2000 wrote:
This might be a weird question, but I'll just throw it out there and see what happens...

So I've got like a lvl 71 Temp thats based on this build, but I really need a culler for groups and such.
You guys think it'd be possible to change the tree a little bit and rock a wand for power siphon? Maybe just drop the "increased melee dmg" nodes in favor for some accuracy/ crit nodes.
Has anybody done anything like this? I want to stack as much MF gear as possible, but I'm sure my nice shield with max block and Ondars will help

Howdy, nbriles2000. :)

I can tell you that it will be very hard to get much accuracy with this build unless you take RT -- you would probably have an 80% chance to hit at best. Crit - wands are a bit outside my area of expertise, but it's pretty hard to get much crit along the path we take with this build, that's pretty much shadow/witch area stuff. You might end up with maybe 10% crit chance even with a modest investment of points, which is not worth bothering with.

I'd just link the culling strike support gem with whatever attack skill you want with this build, if culling is what you need. The build can have all MF gear (except shield, maybe amulet) on and still survive well enough standing to the side in most encounters to use just for culling. Or, if it's your main, just use a weapon switch with culling strike and MF supports on a 5L 2-hander for the final shot. Pretty decent percentage once they are leveled up. Perhaps Reaper's Pursuit.
What about Haste?

It increases weapon attack speed, cast speed and movement speed, thereby saving a node that could be reallocated elsewhere.

It would also increase DPS by a bunch.

Thoughts?
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
nbriles2000 wrote:

Howdy, nbriles2000. :)

I can tell you that it will be very hard to get much accuracy with this build unless you take RT -- you would probably have an 80% chance to hit at best. Crit - wands are a bit outside my area of expertise, but it's pretty hard to get much crit along the path we take with this build, that's pretty much shadow/witch area stuff. You might end up with maybe 10% crit chance even with a modest investment of points, which is not worth bothering with.

I'd just link the culling strike support gem with whatever attack skill you want with this build, if culling is what you need. The build can have all MF gear (except shield, maybe amulet) on and still survive well enough standing to the side in most encounters to use just for culling. Or, if it's your main, just use a weapon switch with culling strike and MF supports on a 5L 2-hander for the final shot. Pretty decent percentage once they are leveled up. Perhaps Reaper's Pursuit.

I'm really worried about dying if I'm up in melee while wearing things like Goldwyrm, Aurseize, Perandus and those MF rings (I can never remember their name)
I've got a shadow that I might repurpose but it looks like I'm going to have to reroll for an MF character. Well, I guess that means I can keep my lazy pally intact! I really just using him for whatever maps my RF char can't do

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info