Client-server Action Synchronisation

"
MarsPhoenix wrote:
I believe that any time you are stunned (or block stunned), you should automatically /oos.
Pretty sure this is currently the case.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
Startkabels wrote:
"
symban wrote:

I really doubt that your knowledge on wait-on server system efficiency is not an up-to-date one. Hope we can see some improvements.

Really? Any reasons for that or are you skeptical by design? I have full confidence when the lead designer of a game development company writes such a detailed post about a concern he has.

Actually, I do have reasons.

#1. This post is a few years old. It is just the copy pasted desynch part of the old manifesto that was removed from forums for some reason. Post itself is not up-to-date let alone writers knowledge on moba systems.

#2. He makes claims about mobas, and I saw similar claims from people who probably played mobas at beginner levels. Those claims are wrong, not based on my personal experience, but also based on many competitive play vids you can find on net. Every single thing people claim PoE has and mobas dont, are actually available in mobas as special skills on thi or that champions. And mobas has the potential to get WAY faster than PoE with no desynch/information inaccuracy/control issues.

I suggest Chris to pick up LoL play with Fiora, Yi, Ezreal, Lucian, Elise, Nidalee, Draven etc. Of course I am not talking about unranked matches, or low rank ones. In proper matches you see how things go crazy fast with no loss of control.

I am pretty certain anyone with proper up to date experience would disagree with comments on moba system.
"
DeinVenteD wrote:
I have an suggestion.
One of the worst misfortunes of these flaws is teleporting in room full of monsters. Mostly it is in room you haven't visited yet, therefore - monsters. Why don't you include server side mapping of already visited parts of an instance, so character can't be teleported in those unmapped areas.

It does do that and you aren't teleporting in to those rooms. On the server side you're simply walking in to them to reach an enemy if you're clicking on an enemy and holding down the mouse button to sustain the attack, while on the client you're right next to the enemy and attacking immediately without walking anywhere.

Then the game resyncs the client to show where you are located on the server and bam, you're seeing all of a sudden that you're actually in another room.

This scenario can be easily mitigated by increasing the frequency of the client resyncing with the server which will make the problem obvious earlier/before you've reached the other room, giving you more time to react to the scenario before things go bad.

In the mean time, you can reduce the risk of encountering this scenario by holding shift while standing next to the enemy/attacking through a door way. This will stop your server-side character walking to where the enemy actually is, if they aren't where the client thinks they are.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Apr 23, 2014, 2:43:26 AM
"
symban wrote:

Actually, I do have reasons.

#1. This post is a few years old. It is just the copy pasted desynch part of the old manifesto that was removed from forums for some reason. Post itself is not up-to-date let alone writers knowledge on moba systems.

That's an assumption, do you have more up-to-date information? If not, your comment is not "grounded" If you do, please share and be constructive.

"
#2. He makes claims about mobas, and I saw similar claims from people who probably played mobas at beginner levels. Those claims are wrong, not based on my personal experience, but also based on many competitive play vids you can find on net. Every single thing people claim PoE has and mobas dont, are actually available in mobas as special skills on thi or that champions. And mobas has the potential to get WAY faster than PoE with no desynch/information inaccuracy/control issues.

I suggest Chris to pick up LoL play with Fiora, Yi, Ezreal, Lucian, Elise, Nidalee, Draven etc. Of course I am not talking about unranked matches, or low rank ones. In proper matches you see how things go crazy fast with no loss of control.

You're missing the actual point. The point is that those games use a different system, which is not as sensitive to desync.
If you carefully read the OP, it's not the fact that those games use simular mechanics it is the fact that those mechanics use a different underlying system

What you are probably referring to, and what I agree with, is the latency argument in Chris' post.
And I said this multiple times already in this thread - latency wouldn't necessarily be a problem it's more likely the overhaul it takes to switch to another system (money, developers, servers, time etc)
Last edited by Startkabels on Apr 23, 2014, 5:55:05 AM
That there are technical limitations to online gaming is clear, and its also clear that GGG are intimately familiar with them, but this makes the desync issue worse: If you know that's how your system is going to work and is not up for compromise you can't design the game around a perfect world scenario where these problems are non existent and claim 'not our fault, its just how it is'.

Everything in life has to be designed around the available technology and existing situations, not imaginary fairy land dream dust. There has to be a compromise somewhere, and as it is the compromise is passed down to the gamer in the form of hidden skill caps (learning the nature of desync and limiting situations where it occurs), non-viable skill combo's, and deciding how much annoying gameplay you are willing to put up with to persist with any given build choice.

anyone who plays a lot will learn what to avoid and work around it, but as a new player it becomes extremely frustrating that difficulties come not from the nature of the monsters and ingame challenges, but technical immersion breaking ones.
Design and practice are two different things: Predicting the future or the outcome of your technical design is hard and you cannot oversee everything beforehand.

Do you think GGG actually was aware about the impact of the desync problem and deliberately choose for this problem when they designed the system?

Its very easy to say that when the outcome of a design is flawed the designers where in dreamland. Or stronger: I think its unfair.

I really think you are making the problem too big when you state that the difficulty of the game is playing with desync instead of surviving monsters. At least this is not my experience, in fact I experience desync as a minor annoyance that sometimes takes place. Of course when you die because of it its a major annoyance but in my case that occurs only rarely to never.

Also I find it unclear what you're trying to say. Maybe that GGG made a mistake? Maybe, but its not constructive, there is a problem that GGG confirms and wants to solve for you.
I see similar posts in which players compare PoE to D3 and say that the D3 system is so much better in their opinion.
But what is the point in saying that? Maybe you're right, maybe not, but that's not helping much.

People tend to think in problems rather than solutions..

Last edited by Startkabels on Apr 23, 2014, 8:05:15 AM
"
sidtherat wrote:
So nothing will change.

You went for cost saving model and it is clearly visible. [...] Some of my desync deaths are so bad that playing poe is simply revolting after experiencing smooth as butter gameplay of d3

In poe any movement based build is so desync prone that it is a noob trap. Same with stun. Any stun/chill/freeze build = desync. Ive never desynced as much as with glacial hammer plus ele prolif. It is simply revolting experience. So - keeping to your explanation- desync resons are the very mechanics players avoid like a plague: movement, stun, body blocking..

You've hit the nail on the head here. The same mechanics which GGG feels are pivotal to the experience players are looking for are the very same mechanics those players avoid DUE to desync. How can the end justify the means if players must alter their play so greatly just to avoid desync? I don't think it does.

Desync shouldn't still be this big of an issue. Fixing it should be a higher priority than some stubborn, misguided desire to retain gameplay mechanics which can't even be reasonably enjoyed due to the current networking model.
Last edited by MrAuntJemima on Apr 23, 2014, 6:35:33 PM
Are players avoiding certain skills? I'm not - playing a crit flicker strike build.
"
Startkabels wrote:
Are players avoiding certain skills? I'm not - playing a crit flicker strike build.

I know right? I use a multistrike-cyclone and never ever desynched once, ever. /ignorance
having read the original post, and having played PoE and other online games for quite a long time, let me begin by saying, i understand the explanation for desync, i understand how and why it happens, and i personally don't have a major issue with it. it's part of the game, you play around it, oh well. but i must ask:

if the reason for keeping all calculations on the server side is to prevent players from modifying the results, isn't there an option for using a third-party companion program (like hack-shield) that detects and prevents player attempts to modify calculations?

i seem to remember multiple games that either detect attempts to modify and shut them down, or use third party programs to do the same. is this something GGG has ever considered? or is there a reason why this is not an acceptable option? (apologies if this has already been addressed in the thread.)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info