Why Shrines, and probably Corrupted Areas, need to be removed from Racing.

There are already Topics that Vaal Areas and Shrines are crap.

"
I haven't seen a single competitive racer support shrines/corrupted zones in races. What was their idea behind it? How could they think adding even more RNG to a race could be a good idea...

Oh I went in one just cost me 1,5 levels just to get a useless Vaal DD.

Also Helman entered one but I don't know if he cleaned it.

"
Hybriis wrote:
I think just about everyone feels this way. I'm sure GGG will take a look at this in a few months Kappa.

They'll brush it under the carpet once they introduce invaders in all leagues and Strongboxes, so races will be even more random if you find limbsplit/shiverstring in strongboxes or get shotrunned by the apes in sins, Vaal DDed by shivershell in Coves, Punctured with Shocking Ground by the Pirate or just didn't moved enough and got killed by a 10-15 stacked firestorms.
But hey Invaders and Strongboxes will be rare by then, so they will only affect 20 of 100 races.

If there would be such a stupid charge system it might be an option to visit Vaal areas but no. There is the dumbest charge system I have ever seen rendering 90% of the gems useless.
Most of the gems are even more useless than Searing Bond before it got buffed and that's still a compliment.

Remember when Exiles got removed from races because they added too much randomness in races?

The Season 7 Preparation took 15 minutes at best.
1.1.3: "Increased the spawn rate of side areas (to roughly 220% of the current value)"
Character archive: view-thread/963707
HC: 96 RIP
SC: 95 97 96 100 95 96 97 98
Settlers: 88(retired) 95 92(BPL) 94(Settlers GSF)
2hr sarn with level 29 in non-fixed seeds incoming
oh, forgot about maphack
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact
Last edited by jstq on Apr 28, 2014, 3:35:56 AM
To be honest I have mixed feelings about removing these from races. I get that they make it more RNG based. But in a way I don't mind that.

I mean this IS a RNG based game. Granted without these in races it will only really apply to: item types, item rarity, vendor stock, map generation(in non fixed seed), evasion, and block chance, etc. Except that's a really long list even with these two removed.

I personally have had a good burst run ruined by a 30 second long detour to a vaal area dead end.
I also personally have had a mediocre run improved by evading and blocking every single attack from The Brute in D:C and not popping a single health flask as a melee build.
So you win some and you lose some.

So to sum this up, RNG is part of the game, therefore I don't see why it shouldn't be in races.
Yes, it takes away from the importance of "skill", but skill has little to do with quite a few mechanics of the game as it stands.
Last edited by Matonk on Apr 28, 2014, 10:28:41 AM
With that kind of rng its not much different from just making a button 'Random' which gives you random number from 1 to 1000. Whoever got more - wins!
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact
Getting 2-3 corrupted layouts in a race regardless of race length is disheartening. The amount of time added up into backtracking can be crucial and cost you a level or two depending on how big the run is. This is pretty drastic, the shorter the race generally the larger the impact of corrupted zones and shrines. Would be nice if they were only spawning in fixed races, shrines and corrupted that is.
Of course the irony is that GGG obviously wanted to reduce RNG in races when they added vendor recipes for IPD and +1gems, just to then do a 180 and add vaal zones and shrines.

Really just has to make you lol at this point.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
Last edited by SlixSC on Apr 28, 2014, 4:06:39 PM
if they wanted to reduce rng it would probably take 5min to remove vendor rng and fix the ms/qs issue
There is obviously a give and take between health of the game and health of racing.

The issue is that as time goes on a decision is going to have to be made. Will racing become a "mode", like Descent, Endless Ledge, and Descent Champs are?... or will it continue try to to do both things, sometimes being a mode and sometimes being a subset of the current game?

I guess we will see what GGG decides when they get around to it.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
Updated 1.1.3 patch note: Increased the spawn chance of Vaal side areas by around 120% in the permanent leagues.

Sounds like races are being spared.
Character archive: view-thread/963707
HC: 96 RIP
SC: 95 97 96 100 95 96 97 98
Settlers: 88(retired) 95 92(BPL) 94(Settlers GSF)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info