Race Season 6 Impressions

So, I started this thread as some kind of personal reflection of my own experiences of Season 6. And by now on Thread-Page 3 we only discuss the "lameness" and "low-competition" of D:C.

I really don´t get why PoE should be compared with SC in any way - those are two entirely different game genres!

You can´t compare PvP-related game modes with racing, those are simply two entirely different buckets. They need entirely different mindsets, entirely different practice and all this stuff. And I think its quite arrogant to say, that the "low-ball-racer" isn´t important in balancing terms. Those are the majority of players - and in no way not important.

And having read all this what has been written so far I really don´t get why some people here are still racing. I just wanted to reflect on my experiences and so far the whole discussion sounds like some guys want to convince me that D:C sucks, even if some people enjoy it.

In Slix world we are just hoarders with no skill when we like D:C - at least if I´m summarizing all these posts.

But hey, at least the topic hit some nerve - even if I´m sad about all this negative attitude. Wasn´t there anything some of the "pro" racers did enjoy in Season 6? Was it all the tension of a bubble ready to explode? I really don´t think so.

So come up with something you found nice for a change - discussing 3 more pages about who´s right or wrong in competition-definition is no fun no more :D

The collective power of this subforum to derail any thread with some personal agenda is amazing :D

Slix, you need to realize that the competition you're talking about in "true" competitive games (FPS, RTS, MOBAs - games where people actually compete directly with each other) will never be possible in PoE racing, because here we compete with the RNG the game is throwing at us, trying to get the most out of every run. Sure there is PvP coming up, but come on, it's never going to be balanced in ARPG/MMORPG games. The same way some match-ups in BW or SC2 are always slightly favored for one race (in BW: Z>P>T>Z).

I also hate D:C and i'm not ever playing it again for the reasons Slix mentioned here, but i can see why people like that race format. I think if the first 3 zones were fixed to not be a maze sometimes, it would be a perfect race for the audience that enjoys it.

As for season 6 impressions, i really liked the sig (probably because i only played it for 3 weeks instead of 6). Really hope there is a ST nerf coming up, even if it's stupid straight up damage reduction. We had two spectral throw seasons, no need for two more.
http://www.twitch.tv/comewithus

Posted by Chris on February 4, 2014 1:51 AM
"When we mass-ban people for running these tools, don't say you weren't warned :P"
He talked about D:C and shared his thoughts on the race, I then responded by sharing my own thoughts on the the race which then sparked a lengthy discussion.

Don't really see how you can say that I derailed the thread, I mean that's just how discussion on forums naturally evolve. I mean what are you saying here, that he should be free to share his opinion but if anyone disagrees with him they have to make their own thread, because otherwise they are "derailing the thread"?

I don't understand.

"
Slix, you need to realize that the competition you're talking about in "true" competitive games (FPS, RTS, MOBAs - games where people actually compete directly with each other) will never be possible in PoE racing, because here we compete with the RNG the game is throwing at us, trying to get the most out of every run. Sure there is PvP coming up, but come on, it's never going to be balanced in ARPG/MMORPG games. The same way some match-ups in BW or SC2 are always slightly favored for one race (in BW: Z>P>T>Z).

Yeah I understand that and I actually agree with you, PoE will never be as competitive as "true" competitive games, but my point was simply that, given the less competitive nature of the game, it doesn't hurt the integrity of the competition to make racing more fair and balanced.

I guess I wouldn't have as much of a problem with D:C if it didn't give out easy points en masse. Like I already said, you basically get 16 points per race for doing "alright", that's about the same amount of points that people get for winning a sig race (in most cases).

So while I view D:C as the worst race period, it's also the most "profitable" race in regards to points, which in my eyes is just absurd.

Why does a "fun" race, on average, give out more points than a signature race, where people are really trying and where there is arguably more competition? I just don't get that.

Points should be earned and not handed to people on a silver plate.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
"
jstq wrote:
How about reducing amount of races that give points, and fill all empty space with train events. So the amount of competition on actual race will increased, but ppl who feel that they cant compete with top racers (like me) can train all day long.

you can train all day but not for special mods (training for races is practically training how to progress)
"
SlixSC wrote:
... but I can't help and feel that part of the reason racing isn't getting any better is the fact that most people, even in the racing community, are just loot hoarders who have never even played a competitive game at a high level before.

this

whenever the obligatory 10+ page thread about the rewards of an upcoming season hits this subforum, i shake my head.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info