Why I feel no incentive to play in races.

"
Lyralei wrote:
Raise your demis.

While I would like to see more fun formats, signature races are fine as they are. The time when you are most weak is where you identify the cream of the crop.

Anyone can do well with gear. Not everyone knows how to handle the early game where it counts.

Which is why I said basic equipment, simply because going naked on a higher level wouldn't work. I still feel like having to come up with a build on the spot based on what items and gems you find yourself starting with would add more depth and strategy to the race. I don't see how this would involve less skill from the player, actually the opposite in my opinion. It encourages people to apply their game knowledge and force them to adapt to the situation instead of doing the same race over and over.

While the early game is when your character is the most weak, it is not hard content at all.
The only problem with random gems is that skills in path of exile are heavily imbalanced.

I don't see how someone who only gets cleave would ever be able to keep up with someone who lucks out and gets Spectral Throw or Leap Slam.

As long as GGG refuses to actually balance skills, this sort of randomn gem idea could never possibly work.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
"
SlixSC wrote:
The only problem with random gems is that skills in path of exile are heavily imbalanced.

I don't see how someone who only gets cleave would ever be able to keep up with someone who lucks out and gets Spectral Throw or Leap Slam.

As long as GGG refuses to actually balance skills, this sort of randomn gem idea could never possibly work.

Not random, we have enough RNG as it is. It would have to be fixed items and gems for each class so it's fair for everyone.
"
SlixSC wrote:

Is it really hard to add 3 new AOE low level skills, one per class, for shadow, ranger and templar, make it class-suits (appropriate? fits? whatever, for ranger some bow skill, for shadow some dagger skill, for templar some staff-mace skill), and then balance damage scaling to make it as powerful as ST (by playing it on alpha with good racers feedback), and also buff cleave aoe so it dont suck compared to GS. So all racers doesn't have to mule st all the time? Now only difference between shadow, ranger and scion is stats, model and starting point at skill tree.
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact
raise your s6 demis. im just happy nobody plays witch so i can get these useless trashes to rot in stash
"
reboticon wrote:
That's a little lame they used the same alt art demi for seasons 5 and 6. Is the alt art for the other seasons the same as well?

Each alt art demi has always been used for 2 consecutive seasons. Saves on art costs.

"
poiseh wrote:
I still feel like having to come up with a build on the spot based on what items and gems you find yourself starting with would add more depth and strategy to the race.

Oh that would be interesting, if no one knows in advance what gems we're getting. A Fixed Gem race, perhaps everyone gets the same class, no muling.

I do feel like there is much untapped potential in races, with very little effort. Makes me wonder why they keep it so limited. It's like they have to make this ultra polished thing (Descent, D:C) rather than just be whimsical, which would work just as well.

Endless Ledge was a good example, but even that they put in more work than necessary. You can vastly change the experience for very little effort, by making modes that simply change the starting variables, but use the same game.

Like all-waypoints open (void league obviously). How hard would that be to implement? Then suddenly you open the door to the OP's format with very little effort.
Character archive: view-thread/963707
HC: 96 RIP
SC: 95 97 96 100 95 96 97 98
Settlers: 88(retired) 95 92(BPL) 94(Settlers GSF)
Last edited by unsane on Feb 25, 2014, 2:44:50 PM
"
janimauk wrote:
raise your s6 demis. im just happy nobody plays witch so i can get these useless trashes to rot in stash

stronk witch!
[quote="Hilbert"]
CT should be around the art of PKing and not griefing lower levels.
[/quote]
http://www.twitch.tv/zoroxo123
Starting at different levels, with different gear loadouts is something that's been suggested before and is something I too would very much like to see.

However, if you think racing from level is bad because it's slow, then you are not doing it right.
"
ZoRoXo wrote:
Spoiler
"
janimauk wrote:

stronk witch!

cuz no one plays witch

Demigods raised.

On topic, the big incentives of racing for me are the competition and the strategy of figuring out and mastering different race mods. I hope there will be more "fun" races with challenging mods and enough time so progressing to later areas is viable. Perhaps an FBLAMT over an hour or some solo turbos over 90 minutes.

I still enjoy the more normal races such as a simple 1 hour solo because new gems/recipes allow for faster progression/farming. As a witch player, I never got tired of the 100 min fixed seed sig race, because there was no set build for farming docks and I was literally trying something new each race.

I'm sure starting at a different level could work as well if balanced correctly. As others have said, probably just do something similar to Endless Ledge and Decent Champs: void league and a bag of goodies at the start.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info