Problem with race reward system and the need for it to be changed

"
mouhanad wrote:
"
reboticon wrote:
Even a total race scrub (like me) can easily pull 9 points from descent champions. I got the le heup last season and I was only able to compete in a race maybe every 3-4 days besides weekends.

I do think is a bit lame that you don't get to keep the level reached points in regular races if you die, though. I never fight vaal in the 100 minute ones because with the few I can make its not worth the risk. Burst was earlier today and thats 6 easy points in 36 minutes.

Reaching Vaal in a 100 minutes?!! That disqualifies you from being a race scrub... Real race scrubs like me barely get to kill brutus in 60 minute races...

As for the burst races, I did those earlier today made it to level 4 in two which earns no points and level 5 in one which earned me 2 points. Overall 2 points in 36 minutes...

As for the earlier post about races being tied to luck and knowledge of the game. I can agree with luck in finding blue mobs, but not with knowledge of the game. I have been playing this game for two months, I have one character over level 80 that I designed myself and can do level 70+ maps solo... Still I have no idea how some people reach level 9 in the twelve minute races.

In bursts, never pick up a chest armor. It slows movement speed down to much. You can also go to fetid pool to get to 5 really fast if you are 4 when you enter it. The best I can pull off is 7 and change, but watch a stream or two and you will get it quick.

And you do get points for participating if you don't die. Just aim for a point tier and try to make it. After you get comfortable with that tier, try to push yourself to the next one. Seasons last for a while, and getting 100-300 points is not really hard to do at all. If you are wanting the 600 and 1000 point rewards, yes you do need to be a top tier racer, but you could simply farm the currency and buy those items in game for the amount of time these guys invest in racing.

Also, roll scion or mule the spec throw gem from her if you are new to it.
Anarchy/Onslaught T shirt
Domination/Nemesis T shirt
Tempest/War Bands T shirt
Last edited by reboticon on Jan 22, 2014, 12:34:03 AM
"
mouhanad wrote:
Race events need to be substituted -or at least complimented - with events that the majority of the player base can partake in and still be able to make a decent progress in.

At the moment, races are too much geared towards a very small percentage of elite players and map hackers who reap all the rewards, with no chance for average and even above average players to compete with and consequently earn reward points. What is the point of racing if all I can hope for is a couple of reward point at most for an hour or two of gameplay?

The reward system makes it a very bad time investment for the vast majority of players, with the exception of a handful of top players.

What I suggest is a type of season events, maybe some sort of group pve or group pvp in which players can make decent progress simply by playing relatively well. Earning season points should not be exclusive to hackers and those with the reflexes of a Korean teenager with ADHD!

When events stop being an exercise in futility as they are now, they will attract a large segment of your player base to log daily or often to partake in these season events knowing that they can earn good points. And the larger the number of players who regularly partake in such events the more likely the will be to spend real money on micro-transactions.

I agree with your sentiment that races are geared to reward the very best(and maybe bots/hackers to some extent.) I also believe that this can be fixed by changing the way we are rewarded, rather than a change to race events.

Race rewards should be purchasable with your points rather than a progression toward the next unique. For instance, the Void Battery Unique will not be accessible to 99.9% of the player base because about 4 people reach 1000 points each season. These players are already rewarded extravagantly because they receive demigod uniques and have a higher chance at winning the random draw uniques. Why should they also have exclusive access to the Void Battery?

If you had to purchase Void Battery for 460 points that once used are gone forever, other players who desperately want a Void Battery can actually get one, and they can ignore all other unique rewards in favor of it.
Identifying items on the ground: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1562689
Talismans as quest rewards: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1690768
Last edited by Brigs on Jan 22, 2014, 1:18:04 AM
Having a lvl 81 character (even in softcore) and struggling with reaching level 5 in 12 minutes is actually impressive.

Remember, a 1 hour race is 1 hour of racing, not 1 hour of playing. There are some very basic differences, such as not wearing a chest armour until it is necessary, don't go to town unless strictly necessary, never stand still to think about what items to pick up/keep/wear (probably one of the most underrated areas to improve).

While I do agree that there could be more players receiving the smallest rewards and/or dead players could receive points for the level they reached, I still think that many players have too little faith in their own ability to improve.

Players who cannot reach the 3 point level bracket in a race can improve a lot by watching a top player stream a race.
The biggest issue is that unexperienced racers use wrong skills or ineffective weapons.

Join a public party and you will see players using flameblast or a 1h mace.

For example "Turbo Brutus OP"
I don't believe I could defeat Turbo Brutus with weak weapon combinations or useless skills in a reasonable amount of time.

"
Hilbert wrote:
The biggest issue is that unexperienced racers use wrong skills or ineffective weapons.

I don't believe I could defeat Turbo Brutus with weak weapon combinations or useless skills in a reasonable amount of time.

flameblast confirmed dumpster you mad fraggy?
It looks like OP just doesn't want to put in the effort to practice. The way they are, races reward pretty much everyone for just playing to your skill level. I will say that maybe the 12 min burst races aren't the best place to start racing, maybe just do the 1 hour solo stuff or the 100 min. I have only been playing for less than a month and have earned several top ~200 spots as well as my best being 47th place in a burst event. It hasn't come without practice though, that's for sure.

It also looks like those burst events you were talking about have been the only event you have done this season. It doesn't look good to try once and then immediately say the game is broken and that its unfair to everyone who doesn't hack.
"
janimauk wrote:
"
Hilbert wrote:

flameblast confirmed dumpster you mad fraggy?

My bad, should've asked hilbert before so i can rock with shock nova or smth.
Kappa
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
OP, you've participated in a total of three races. You'll get better. Very few people can pick up a new skill to within 50% of the proficiency of masters of that skill by practicing it three times.
http://www.twitch.tv/exhortatory
"
exhortatory wrote:
OP, you've participated in a total of three races. You'll get better. Very few people can pick up a new skill to within 50% of the proficiency of masters of that skill by practicing it three times.

dont underestimate him. he has already played about 1/200 or even 1/150 of the races that some top players did, he should already know how to handle this shit

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info