Problem with race reward system and the need for it to be changed

Race events need to be substituted -or at least complimented - with events that the majority of the player base can partake in and still be able to make a decent progress in.

At the moment, races are too much geared towards a very small percentage of elite players and map hackers who reap all the rewards, with no chance for average and even above average players to compete with and consequently earn reward points. What is the point of racing if all I can hope for is a couple of reward point at most for an hour or two of gameplay?

The reward system makes it a very bad time investment for the vast majority of players, with the exception of a handful of top players.

What I suggest is a type of season events, maybe some sort of group pve or group pvp in which players can make decent progress simply by playing relatively well. Earning season points should not be exclusive to hackers and those with the reflexes of a Korean teenager with ADHD!

When events stop being an exercise in futility as they are now, they will attract a large segment of your player base to log daily or often to partake in these season events knowing that they can earn good points. And the larger the number of players who regularly partake in such events the more likely the will be to spend real money on micro-transactions.
Lol racing doesnt require reflexes, it requires game knowledge and inventory management with a bit (a lot) of luck
IGN: Hybris_the_StormHerald - Nemesis
Season 3 - #3 Marauder - #15 overall points
Season 4 - #2 Marauder - #2 Duelist - #9 overall points
Season 5 - #1 Marauder - #2 Duelist - #20 overall points
Even a total race scrub (like me) can easily pull 9 points from descent champions. I got the le heup last season and I was only able to compete in a race maybe every 3-4 days besides weekends.

I do think is a bit lame that you don't get to keep the level reached points in regular races if you die, though. I never fight vaal in the 100 minute ones because with the few I can make its not worth the risk. Burst was earlier today and thats 6 easy points in 36 minutes.
Anarchy/Onslaught T shirt
Domination/Nemesis T shirt
Tempest/War Bands T shirt
"
reboticon wrote:
Even a total race scrub (like me) can easily pull 9 points from descent champions. I got the le heup last season and I was only able to compete in a race maybe every 3-4 days besides weekends.

I do think is a bit lame that you don't get to keep the level reached points in regular races if you die, though. I never fight vaal in the 100 minute ones because with the few I can make its not worth the risk. Burst was earlier today and thats 6 easy points in 36 minutes.

Reaching Vaal in a 100 minutes?!! That disqualifies you from being a race scrub... Real race scrubs like me barely get to kill brutus in 60 minute races...

As for the burst races, I did those earlier today made it to level 4 in two which earns no points and level 5 in one which earned me 2 points. Overall 2 points in 36 minutes...

As for the earlier post about races being tied to luck and knowledge of the game. I can agree with luck in finding blue mobs, but not with knowledge of the game. I have been playing this game for two months, I have one character over level 80 that I designed myself and can do level 70+ maps solo... Still I have no idea how some people reach level 9 in the twelve minute races.
"
mouhanad wrote:
"
reboticon wrote:

Reaching Vaal in a 100 minutes?!! That disqualifies you from being a race scrub... Real race scrubs like me barely get to kill brutus in 60 minute races...

As for the burst races, I did those earlier today made it to level 4 in two which earns no points and level 5 in one which earned me 2 points. Overall 2 points in 36 minutes...

As for the earlier post about races being tied to luck and knowledge of the game. I can agree with luck in finding blue mobs, but not with knowledge of the game. I have been playing this game for two months, I have one character over level 80 that I designed myself and can do level 70+ maps solo... Still I have no idea how some people reach level 9 in the twelve minute races.

It sounds like you just need to practice a bit, maybe read some guides on races and stick with a build you are really comfortable with. Watch some streamers race a bunch, that will help.
all you need to know for racing is what lvl to be for each zone. can't be that hard to memorize few numbers then progress accordingly.
Last edited by janimauk on Jan 21, 2014, 9:49:08 PM
"
SlixSC wrote:
Buuuullshit. OP just wants a piece of the cake without putting in any effort. Nice try OP.

Re-read original post. Time and effort should be involved in earning reward points, and nowhere did I say anything to the contrary. The problem with races now is that the vast majority of players have no chance to earn reasonable points even when they spend time and effort because it is not possible to compete with a handful of pro players who always get top places.

If you are among the pros good for you, but that doesn't mean that their shouldn't be events that cater to the rest of the 95 percent of the player base.
"
janimauk wrote:
all you need to know for racing is what lvl to be for each zone. can't be that hard to memorize few numbers then progress accordingly.

I know what level to be in each zone... I focus on mobs not single targets... I don't skip blue mobs... I know all that... Still can barely reach maybe 50 percent of top player level.
"
SlixSC wrote:
"
mouhanad wrote:
"
reboticon wrote:

Solution to that problem. Get better. Watch race streams, learn how to play.

I still have alot to learn and improve myself, which is great. If everyone always wins, where is the incentive to improve or to learn how to race?

The truth is that by casualising the game even more only the most gullible will feel a sense of accomplishment for "winning" (which you could easily substitute with the word "participating" in that context).

Merely participating in a race shouldn't earn you rewards or items, doing well should. And that's when you sit down and actually learn how to play instead of demanding free stuff. Rewards should be earned and not handed to you on a silver plate.

Problem with the current system, is that races are too much: 5 percent players win all the time while the other 95 percent of players lose (opportunity cost loss). Even if one gets better it still means 95 percent of the player base have no incentive to partake in these races on a regular basis.

The top 5 percent should indeed be rewarded more than the rest, but that doesn't mean a reward system has to be exclusively win-lose the entire time... It would lead to a lot more people taking part in races if it was more win-win more.

And by the way, you make it sound like I am saying earn free rewards point merely for logging in-game. In my suggestion I say you still have to play fairly well and spend time to earn those points.
The way the currency race system rewards points is fine. It rewards you for playing FAIRLY WELL.

Your problem, and the problem of "the vast majority" is that your definition of FAIRLY WELL is not on par with what it should be.

If you are getting to level 4 in a 12 minute race, it means you don't know even the most simple ways of playing. My friend that started playing last week can get level 5. I crashed right after I killed Hillock and went through a ~2minute loading screen and still got to almost level 7.

You need to practice. Racing is fine in its current state. 135 points for a map only unique!?

Stop blaming the system, blame yourself.
IGN: thejarmo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info