Tier list

First off pvp, win or lose means jack currently because pvp is still in infancy and has never seen proper balance. But for shits and grins heres a tier list I think many will agree with, if not..spare the drama and bs please. Also let it be known theres far too many variables to create a solidified list with serious breakdowns like match up specifics etc.. Stuff like cwdt set ups,rapiers being superior to 1h swords for cyclone due to range and other pariculars. Would take someone all day and with all the constant changes to this game likely never be done. So take this as it is, assuming optimal set ups per build type. Its still a really accurate list imo, I have enough experience in this area to make that claim.

S tier (aka face to keyboard mouse up a** tier)

Spoiler
Righteous fire flicker strikers/shield

Concidered highest tier at the moment because theres few real answers to deal with it. Plus you have to literally destroy your character to try to nullify it. Its just not practical and should probably be concidered by GGG. Though of all builds this one has the potential to be hard countered and could very well become low tier to unviable IF its ever figured out completely. This build requires low end uniques combined with some of the most expensive gear you can get to make properly. While exploiting broken shit like offhand snap shotting you can pull even more potential out of this build. If you go ES you benefit from low life mechanics but can't benefit from Aegis unless you were extremely wise in your gear choices, still doubt its a good idea. But if you go Hp based you can benefit from Anvil easily thus having higher block chance and getting healed as you block.

Skill requirements - low in terms of use, high in terms of preperation and management. Very taxing skill that requires number crunching/gear to make work properly. But in the end you're just getting near people and thats it. You put the work into sustaining it and after that the requirements are near non existent to use. Lets face it, the works already been done by other people you just need to read online for the breakdown. You simply cookie cut the gear together and grab hp/es/regeneration nodes and block...its pretty much a low skill requirement at the end of the day.

Ethereal knife/shield/molten shell/critical

This build if Righteous fire didn't exist would be the undisputed king of pvp. It has literally 0 bad match ups, worst case scenario a few 5-5's. Is soft countered by spell block and bad luck (i.e no 1hit critical). Potentially countered by an assortment of phase acrobatics,spell block. Thats all there is to it, this is the S tier build of PoE pvp and has been neglected forever. If you want a low maintence, gear leniant 1 hit kill build that probably doesn't even require you to have limbs to play..here you go. You throw Molten shell on vs melee, spam it if you have to repeatidly til you get a kill. If that doesn't work just toss EK til something lands. Against casters you play a pseudo intelligent duel where you try to avoid their projectiles while you spam yours. Its pretty unimpressive and pretty funny to behonest. You'll think you're doing all this cool skillful shit, but really you're just right clicking and moving til you 1-2hit the guy (see 2 retards running into eachother til one falls over). Makes bad kids feel pretty cool though, so I guess its good for your self esteem.

Skill requirements - low. You put in more work the moment you picked up that (insert character specific default weapon) on The Twilight Strand and fought Hillock at level 1. Skill scales with physical damage auras,requires no lmp or gmp thus having full damage and area control at all times. You don't even have to aim, the shit fans out and you can't miss unless you're facing backwards. I'ved used this skill, its stupid...seriously. Other spells can be made great but this one out of the box > them free.

High tier (aka diverse, universally good tier)

Spoiler
1h sword/shield

This build is universally good, has really no bad match ups and no super advangeous ones. Because you have a shield of your own plus counter block to some extent a shield is not a counter to you. You have diversity to swap gear at will to deal with casters or melee. Pretty straight forward, requires end game gear if you want to compete beyond casual level.

Skill requirements - moderate

Mid tier (aka balanced tier)

Spoiler
Bow of any kind

Build is very good when used properly can hang with almost any other build and has only a few glaring weakness's. Such as bear traps/puncture/temporal chains/flicker strike due to bad mobility and having to always be moving. Can cover many of its weakness's via smart play and skill choices. High end gear recommended, you really wont get far on the cheap.

Skill requirements - medium. EA is a very good skill that undermines many mechanics in pvp making it forgiving and easy to use. Puncture is also a pretty easy skill to pull off, not much skill required its mostly a gear check and how smart your opponent is. Seen as how atm these are the only 2 viable pvp builds because of block/tempest shield. Id say overall its a medium skill requirement build

2h sword

Build is also very good when used properly and can hang well with most every build in the game. Though it has weakness's in the form of shields, since the -block node nerfs, shields have become a problem again. The age old shield > 2h that is inherit to every pvp arpg/mmo is again the case. Plus being melee and not ranged unless you weapon swap or diversify you'll experience difficulties no matter how good your gear/stats are against broken anti melee mechanics (i.e Molten shell criticals). Requires extremely high end gear and knowledge to work beyond casual pvp levels.

Skill requirements - high

Any other caster type besides EK/shield

Their on the weaker side but with proper use can be very good. Id say they have very few great match ups but few bad ones aswell. Can be played to hang at high level pvp. Requires end game gear to pull off properly.

2h melee non sword

Pretty much at a huge disadvantage across the board except vs perhaps bow/2h sword/non ek casters and suck builds that are concidered low/unviable tier. No glaring strengths to this build and you have to really know your shit to make it work properly using a combination of skills and movement. Experience the same difficulties as 2h sword or any non shield melee versus anti melee mechanics regardless of gear/stats. Also requires exceptional gear, very end game. Suggest going criticals and not focusing on Resolute Technique if you want to excel. Critical potential damage > block > RT non sword. But you'll likely find yourself taking free damage while you attempt to land a hit if they are using a shield. Get used to juggling players from wall to wall with knockbacks but very few successfully landed hits past their shield. This build comes with much disappointment so be prepared to really hate the balance of the game.

Trapper

This build technically counters all of the problematic mechanics in pvp. But...traps themselves are kind of slow and tedious. Thats what balances them out I guess. Low gear requirements and can be used effectively versus any other build. Can work with even a Tabula Rasa, very gear leniant.

Skill requirements - moderate

Critical dagger/flicker/shield

This could be potentially a top tier build but has glaring weakness's. Blind,block and evasion are an issue for this type of build. Though I've had a critical dagger and know that all it takes is 1 flicker strike to kill someone in most cases. If your first doesn't land or kill, you retreat and repeat. Its a very low skill requirement build but makes up for it in the gear department. Its not cheap to be effective. Its generally an all in critical gamble build where you start to think to yourself "wow is this really what pvp is in this game, me just flickering in...running away..flickering in hoping to 1hit someone". Sorry but thats what it is. In the off chance your skill of choice is Whirling Blades or Puncture, the statement above still applies.

Skill requirements - looooow to moderate

Melee shield/non sword

This build is universally good, but lacks the block penetration to make it superior to sword/shield. You have diversity in gear choices/skills and can cover match up weakness's to some degree. But its inferior to sword/shield in just about every single way in pvp. Requires very end game gear, you can skirt through some competition if you're using aegis/anvil. But to be competitive you'll need to step it up into real gear.

Skill requirements- moderate to high

Low tier (aka really won't make it far tier)

Spoiler
Blenders,Totems,Spectral throw..basically anything that you see as the norm in pvm is generally very weak in high pvp. With the exception of a few builds but this is generally the case. Inexperienced pvp'rs would see these builds and think their godlike but they really suck.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
Last edited by MullaXul on Feb 5, 2014, 10:59:04 PM
Here we go again, RF and EK on the top scrub list from lord of genocide once again, why dont you just change the spoiler name to Hauntworld/Shadowthefall since you hate us so much.

'' S tier (aka face to keyboard mouse up a** tier) '' :

Yeah, really passive and general post there, no one knows who you have in mind when writing that up.

'' Righteous fire flicker strikers/shield Pretty obvious one, doesn't need an explanation. Though of all builds this one has the potential to be hard countered and could very well become low tier to unviable when its figured out completely. ''

; Aight man i'd like to hear that ''hard counter'' Vulnerability does not work on me anymore and neither dual curse doesn't do a thing, there is no real hard counter until GGG adds new skills/items.

Real facts:

RF Skill requierment: being able to close the gap with whirling blades/lightning warp and burn your enemies from close range. Flasks management is required too.

EK Skill requierments: Being able to use lightning warp to close the gap and shoot ek at your enemys face. Flasks management is required too.

Cyclone skill requierments: Being able to use leap slam to close to gap and using right click cyclone on your enemy. Flasks management is required too. - Highly desync skill -

From what i wrote here, which is pretty true and makes sense, you rated your Leapslam/Cyclone at '' HIGH '' skill requirements and RF EK at '' LOW '' Makes no sense to me since you use only two skills like we do, or maybe you started using scrub traps so u felt like giving u that high rating boost ?

Another point i would like to add is gear requirements, where is it ? not everyone can make a righteous fire build and same thing applies to almost every build you stated in here.

I would like to add up something else, let me clear your things out genocice and show the world how ignorant you are about your own builds facts...

Heres what you wrote about flicker strike dagger ; "wow is this really what pvp is in this game, me just flickering in...running away..flickering in hoping to 1hit someone". Sorry but thats what it is.

Heres what i write about cyclone 2hander ; '' Wow is this really what pvp is in this game, me just leaping cycloning in, running way, leaping cycloning in hoping my broken cyclone hits 25 times a second and kill but oh wait my cyclone just desynced and i killed my enemy off the screen'' Sorry genocide but that's what it is.

That was cold but 100% true, face it.

IGN:Hauntworld - ICU Omniscient PvP guild
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PvP Low life crit caster / Gear -->/1829851
HLD PvP tournaments -->/1576295
Last edited by hauntworld1 on Dec 17, 2013, 4:42:27 PM
I would love to know the difference between a Crit dagger build using block and my EK build. Seems we both rely on high damage from crit but for some reason my build is S*.
Team Omniscient

"
hauntworld1 wrote:
Here we go again, RF and EK on the top scrub list from lord of genocide once again, why dont you just change the spoiler name to Hauntworld/Shadowthefall since you hate us so much.

'' S tier (aka face to keyboard mouse up a** tier) '' :

Yeah, really passive and general post there, no one knows who you have in mind when writing that up.

'' Righteous fire flicker strikers/shield Pretty obvious one, doesn't need an explanation. Though of all builds this one has the potential to be hard countered and could very well become low tier to unviable when its figured out completely. ''

; Aight man i'd like to hear that ''hard counter'' Vulnerability does not work on me anymore and neither dual curse doesn't do a thing, there is no real hard counter until GGG adds new skills/items.

Real facts:

RF Skill requierment: being able to close the gap with whirling blades/lightning warp and burn your enemies from close range. Flasks management is required too.

EK Skill requierments: Being able to use lightning warp to close the gap and shoot ek at your enemys face. Flasks management is required too.

Cyclone skill requierments: Being able to use leap slam to close to gap and using right click cyclone on your enemy. Flasks management is required too. - Highly desync skill -

From what i wrote here, which is pretty true and makes sense, you rated your Leapslam/Cyclone at '' HIGH '' skill requirements and RF EK at '' LOW '' Makes no sense to me since you use only two skills like we do, or maybe you started using scrub traps so u felt like giving u that high rating boost ?

Another point i would like to add is gear requirements, where is it ? not everyone can make a righteous fire build and same thing applies to almost every build you stated in here.

I would like to add up something else, let me clear your things out genocice and show the world how ignorant you are about your own builds facts...

Heres what you wrote about flicker strike dagger ; "wow is this really what pvp is in this game, me just flickering in...running away..flickering in hoping to 1hit someone". Sorry but thats what it is.

Heres what i write about cyclone 2hander ; '' Wow is this really what pvp is in this game, me just leaping cycloning in, running way, leaping cycloning in hoping my broken cyclone hits 25 times a second and kill but oh wait my cyclone just desynced and i killed my enemy off the screen'' Sorry genocide but that's what it is.

That was cold but 100% true, face it.

Why are you crying? I said it POTENTIALLY could be countered, but hasn't been figured out yet. Tears obscured your vision, stop crying so this thread doesn't get closed or deleted. Its an honest list thats very very accurate. Oh and by the way I don't rely on multistrike to desynch and cheat people out of wins with cyclone. I mean you can say that applies to alot of people abusing that aspect of it but I wouldn't know its not my thing. I can actually bet money when I kill someone im on their screen too. Im not some sloppy scrub trying to make desynch situations with multistrike. I also don't see how its hard to get near someone with EK or RF...the arenas are so small, EK can have very good range and flicker strike is an option for RF. Getting near people in this game is like....the easiest thing you can do, not even a valid excuse for skill requirements haha.

Also rating cyclone/leap slam high is because its 2h and has alot of micro management. Flasks,offhand swapping, gem swapping,gear swapping,dealing with block (ya since the nerf to -block its a big deal. My killing power and chance to land a hit has been reduced greatly),anti melee skills, getting in without dying to critical moltens etc.. and dealing with other people desynching (which is a big one in itself when your game is to chase and land clean hits...you simply cant alot of times and you're taking hits from who knows where). Theres alot more to it then you think, im not trying to sit here and make claims that im some god or anything. Its just the fact of the matter I do aloooooooooot of shit to play the way I do.

Lets keep this constructive though. Opinions are welcome, not trying to start crap in this post. My Stier comment is a bit subjective but isn't targetted at anyone in particular its the nature of the skills/builds ingeneral imo.
Last edited by MullaXul on Dec 20, 2013, 7:30:55 AM
"
yardiegamer wrote:
I would love to know the difference between a Crit dagger build using block and my EK build. Seems we both rely on high damage from crit but for some reason my build is S*.

Less counters to EK man. You can't blind EK amongst other things. I mean I guess you can concider phase acrobatics+spell block and ondars guile to be a nice counter and thats true I can't say it isnt. But likelyhood someone has that on a high pvp build while still being viable elsewhere except as maybe a bow,trap or crit dagger user is slim.
mullalux all i see is u cry 24/7 people play what they want if u cant beat them quit or move on man

stop being a baby and grow the f up

thanks
"
Also rating cyclone/leap slam high is because its 2h and has alot of micro management. Flasks,offhand swapping, gem swapping,gear swapping,dealing with block (ya since the nerf to -block its a big deal. My killing power and chance to land a hit has been reduced greatly),anti melee skills, getting in without dying to critical moltens etc.. and dealing with other people desynching (which is a big one in itself when your game is to chase and land clean hits...you simply cant alot of times and you're taking hits from who knows where). Theres alot more to it then you think, im not trying to sit here and make claims that im some god or anything. Its just the fact of the matter I do aloooooooooot of shit to play the way I do.

So in fact you should change the righteous fire rate because it takes a lot of shit to play the way i play my RF, gear swapping a lot between items, i have a swap for righteous fire, i swap between gems depending on my enemies.

I actually dont even use multistrike anymore, and right now the only skill that desyncs so much is cyclone and you cant deny this. I swap betweens flasks depending on my enemy, i have to deal with bow punctures and have to manage dispel bleed, i cant kill totems so i have to counter and outplay the defender so i can kill him. Flasks swapping is nonstop from dispel shock, cold and i even dispel my own burn. I also have to deal with desync cyclone, i have to swap between regular gear to spellblock gear if i face a caster.

I got to deal with traps too so i change my gems depending on that situations to kill traps so i can get close to my target. I had to deal with players using kite/vulnerability on me to get a kill but good thing i found a fix. i even had to super overcap my fire resist since people try to dual curse EE my resists. Dude i have to deal with a lot of shit people are nonstop trying to counter me and you're trying to tell me that shit's low req ? comon dude what the hell, i even have to nonstop chroming my gear to find counters to everything people bring against me.

You're judging it by the fact that righteous fire deals all the damage from itself and i just have to stand on me enemy to kill him, which is true but when you look out the fence there's still a ton of shit i need to deal with and i have to constantly adjust myself depending on the build i face. I have to cast enduring cry/immortal call to survive any high physical dpser because i drop down fast even with 11k energy shield. Your rating is highly innacurate because you take a lot of things out of consideration and you ignore them. It actually took quite a shitton of time to get the gear and figuring out the best thing for this build and shitton of chroming for trying out this and that, the ES rf version didn't came out of my head Under a minute, it took quite a lot of working planning out this build and making it work, ES rf version is harder than LIFE version to create.
Last edited by hauntworld1 on Dec 17, 2013, 6:40:25 PM
"
MullaXul wrote:
"
yardiegamer wrote:

Less counters to EK man. You can't blind EK amongst other things. I mean I guess you can concider phase acrobatics+spell block and ondars guile to be a nice counter and thats true I can't say it isnt. But likelyhood someone has that on a high pvp build while still being viable elsewhere except as maybe a bow,trap or crit dagger user is slim.

very good point here. EK is a spell, flicker is an attack its completely different - tons of different supports and with desynch the game play for melee gets pretty choppy. And I agree that switching between weapon sets especially with any lag at all can be very troublesome and without practice and patience for the damn queued action to actually take place can cost the weapon swapper the match.
I Stream PvP Twitch.tv/GrindcoreTHRALL
THE STORY OF MY Descent into the Abysmal Afterlife( HC to SC, too Stronk!)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346754
PK massacre, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz09uBZ-ug
Last edited by GrindcoreTHRALL on Dec 17, 2013, 5:54:13 PM
"
mullalux all i see is u cry 24/7 people play what they want if u cant beat them quit or move on man

stop being a baby and grow the f up

thanks

Do you have literacy issues? This isn't a bitch fest thread, its a tier list with factual information. Go be a dickhead somewhere else. Learn to differentiate crying from facts and prove yourself somewhere before you call people out. You're pulling typical online troll 101 shit on me, go away.

Edit: Sneaking suspicion you're Google on another account while in probation, the text is identical.

Edit: Yep, just checked posts. You're Googlefromdiablo.
Last edited by MullaXul on Dec 17, 2013, 7:21:59 PM
Thank's for revising your post a bit genocide, i'm stepping out of pvp feedbacks, best of luck to you guys at the ladder i'm a bit tired of constantly posting in this section and i'm gonna focus on perfecting my RF build and adjusting myself until the season comes out.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info