Legacy Items and the Future of PvP

Alright, so release has introduced a plethora of 'overpowered' legacy items which will no longer be available to most players. This is going to create an even larger divide between the haves and have nots in Standard League PvP.

This is very, very sad to me because Standard looked like the natural place for high end PvP, with a hyperabundance of items allowing anyone to create a competitive character.

What I want...or rather what I NEED to know: what is the vision for Standard PvP in light of these legacy items? Is it supposed to be the playground only of the rich and hardcore players, while PvP in the new leagues is just the playground of the hardcore and lucky? Will there be a place for people with no interest in the trading or map grinding game? Do the you feel that standard might as well not exist and the only thing that matters is the new leagues (despite those leagues inherently having far worse quality high end PvP).

The reason I need to know this is I need to know where I have to spend my time. I only care about PvP in this game. There's no way I would have put up with the horrible map grind to 95 if I didn't expect that to someday matter in meaninful PvP. I'm super pumped about PvP in 1.0 and can't wait for it to be deployed.

But I need to know where the PvP is going to be. If you don't see a future for Standard league PvP, I need to know that my lvl 95 is a sunk cost and I should trade away my wealth for Dom/Nem currency.

Thanks for any clarification on this issue :)

EDIT: I also want to say I like all the changes made, especially Kaoms nerf and a buff to life in general, great stuff! Its just the existence of legacy items that worries me.
Last edited by aimlessgun on Oct 25, 2013, 1:57:54 AM
Low level dueling is the answer my friend.. (Haha)
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
Last edited by MullaXul on Oct 24, 2013, 11:18:47 PM
"
MullaXul wrote:
Low level dueling is the answer my friend.. (Haha)

We still have problems. Legacy facebreakers are pretty damn powerful for LLD
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
Dominion will be next stage for PvPers I think because alot of people are rushing back to PoE for its official release, some new, some returnees and most of them will be playing new characters or on new leagues because its fun to start fresh with a new meta and core changes just coming out and also because they don't want to and realize they can't compete on the permanent leagues where the gap between "haves and have nots" as you said is getting out of hand :D.

I do hope they don't divide the PvP populations. What we really need is a more convenient queue, ratings, and a way to easily organize custom PvP (U10Dueling, 3v5, etc.).

As far as the impact of legacy, I don't think it'll be major. Assuming your build still has exploitable weaknesses then nothing should change. It'll be a lot of 1 second hardcounters. As an aside, POE could really do with increasing TTK (time to kill). The average MOBA TTK is around 10-20 seconds and that is the minimum players need for tactics and turnarounds.

If legacy turn out to be a problem I may have a solution here.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Want to Fix the Economy, Bad Loot, Trade and Legacy PvP? pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Open Letter to Qarl on Crafting Value pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/805434
Biggest Problem with Mapping: Inconsistent Risk to Reward pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/612507
Last edited by Veta321 on Oct 25, 2013, 5:44:32 AM
So far I am just as disillusioned about pvp now as I was before. The added in new modes without doing any balancing. Legacy Kaoms annoys me very much since its so good in pvp but even if they removed it pvp still needs a ton of work.

I played two matches in merciless last night and BOTH of them was a complete draw with no deaths. WTF?? Nothing lamer than two guys who can't even get one kill on the other.
Standard Forever
"
iamstryker wrote:

I played two matches in merciless last night and BOTH of them was a complete draw with no deaths. WTF?? Nothing lamer than two guys who can't even get one kill on the other.

Aegis Aurora builds?
IGN: _Firebitch
They need to give us mutators or something if the game is going to continue going in the direction it is. Some way of a host and people agreeing on rules that overall govern the way each unique match is played. For instance 1 mutator could be, 50% increased global projectile speed, or 25% reduced physical damage while unarmed, or spells do 20% more increased damage. 1 Mutator could be

These are just examples but its a good way for the community to decide whats balanced instead of creating more and more legacy items which outshine some other items and can never be acquired again without trading.

btw if your really want u can still, at a insane cost, mirror of kalandra legacy koams and other OP items if you depend on them that much.
I Stream PvP Twitch.tv/GrindcoreTHRALL
THE STORY OF MY Descent into the Abysmal Afterlife( HC to SC, too Stronk!)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346754
PK massacre, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz09uBZ-ug
Last edited by GrindcoreTHRALL on Oct 28, 2013, 1:54:29 AM
"
They need to give us mutators or something if the game is going to continue going in the direction it is. Some way of a host and people agreeing on rules that overall govern the way each unique match is played. For instance 1 mutator could be, 50% increased global projectile speed, or 25% reduced physical damage while unarmed, or spells do 20% more increased damage. 1 Mutator could be

These are just examples but its a good way for the community to decide whats balanced instead of creating more and more legacy items which outshine some other items and can never be acquired again without trading.

btw if your really want u can still, at a insane cost, mirror of kalandra legacy koams and other OP items if you depend on them that much.

This is a neat idea. It would be great if we could control PvP mutators. Combine with Open PvP and you've got a very active community.
Want to Fix the Economy, Bad Loot, Trade and Legacy PvP? pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Open Letter to Qarl on Crafting Value pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/805434
Biggest Problem with Mapping: Inconsistent Risk to Reward pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/612507
"

you can't use a mirror on uniques.
IGN: High____Lander | xDominus

40 Arena pvper: Bleed_Pig

Guild: <HERB> THC

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info