My "Why I quit every league after 1 week" manifesto

Hi!

Yesterday was the day that comes every league: the (depressing) realization that the league is over for me. The joy I felt the days before turned into a feeling of doing chores which ultimately lead to nothing but sustain.
Then I had a strong think about what makes me lose the joy every league, and I gathered some (some subjective, some objective) points which kill my game experience sooner or later.

1. Loot

When I reach red maps I proceed to remove all rare equipment from my item filter. Picking up armour, identifying it and seeing that it is trash. The loop which happens at every league start. The usefulness of rare equipment loot converges to 0 for time -> infinity, but becomes close to 0 very fast. Picking up, identifying, instantly throwing it into the bin because it is useless. It is tiring, it is not worth it. In my opinion dropped rare items must have the potential to be significantly stronger than crafted items.
What I want to say is: for me, exciting loot is the most important aspect in an ARPG for me. PoE is sadly the opposite for me 99 % of the time. It is just a grind of currency. And what do we do with currency in SSF?

2. Crafting

This league for example I wanted to craft a physical two-handed axe for my Rage Vortex impale version. I looked at the following methods:
- Harvest reforge physical
- Recombination
- Fossil crafting
- Rog
My problem with all of these choices: the pure underlying concept, which goes
Farm currency -> (buy crafting currency/raw materials if trade league) -> use crafting method -> Repeat X times and pray for X < infinity
Feels so bad man. Where is the skill I can apply? Oh right, it is sadly in the first step. If I have a currency farming strategy that is good, I can reduce the time in crafting hell. Or, if trade league, just ignore all crafting and buy gear others crafted. But should crafting not be fun? Well, for me in PoE it is pure frustration.

3. Some game mechanics

I like the ores in the map. Killing the spawn points, saving my tree, channeling my difficulty. It is fast, it is exciting, it is gameplay variety. But the fourth one...
I click on ore, I get ore. Same with Niko: I click on sulphite, I get sulphite. No gameplay, no fun. Clicking games are not fun for me.
Ritual? Gameplay for me is okay, loot is interesting in a way. But I disable it every league. Why? I forget to look at the loot half of the time at the end of the map. I know that is the same for many players. Why did we not change it since Ritual was introduced? Anyway, I feel terrible when I notice that I forgot to gather my reward time and time again. So, disable it.
Breach? I actually like the gameplay, but the rewards man, the rewards. Breach rings? Must've been useful before I started playing. Splinters? Splinters. I click on splinters, I put them in stash. They do nothing but sit there. It is so lame. I understand that certain bosses etc. need to have an entry fee, but man. Splinters. In my opinion that cannot be the way.
Harbinger? Man, more splinters, this time called "shards". Do nothing, sit in stash. I look at them, I feel bad. I like the gameplay mechanic, but the specific loot of the mechanic... shards. Feels bad man.
I could go on with e. g. Syndicate, but Mark already mentioned that they are working on seperating the board from Katarina. Thank the lord.

4. Some monsters

Whakawairua Tuahu... the map boss. What the flying f. This is not a challenge, this is torture. Well, for some builds it is not. God bless them.
Soul Eater mod... I am usually fine with monster mods, even the lightning cone one and MOSTLY the ice wall guys. But soul eater? What the flying f. Instant massive difficulty spike. The moment you are confidently doing a map, and then, baaam, one monster runs at you and slaps the life out of you. It is crazy that this mod still exists. Speaking of still existing...

5. Generally powerful items/mechanics

Ralakesh boots... got even stronger. Why? Another new absurdly strong general mechanic: elemental dmg reduction by endurance charges. I love theory crafting, but these things make me feel bad. I love items which are powerful in certain scenarios, I hate items which solve all your problems. I want elemental ailment immunity? 3 rare jewels and Stormshroud, done. Works on any build. Cries in Purity of Elements.

Sorry for the rambling, but I had to share the feelings I feel every league. I love theorycrafting builds, but when I start playing the game, reality catches up to me sooner or later.
Last edited by groink19 on Aug 5, 2024, 1:15:24 PM
Last bumped on Aug 7, 2024, 8:16:44 AM
I call this game from the last years "Path of Currency".
The drop is horrible, and when it drops something good, it's not work for my build, so I have to sell it to buy something for my char.
I'm still playing because by far PoE is the game with most content to do that I can enjoy from time to time. And I think because of this there's always something in the game that "could be better at".
I was playing standard for the last 2 leagues because after a loooong time I've got my first mageblood, so I want to have fun in the game.
This league I'm only playing because of the Auction House to make currency for my standard char.
Make PoE 1 offline mode when PoE 2 comes out.
"
Mugus wrote:
I call this game from the last years "Path of Currency"

Y'know it's funny that when the game came out the currency system was implemented over gold so that people would have a more direct means of using it rather than just hoarding it like a dragon, except that's what most people do anyway for 90% of their currency because most of it's not worth thinking about or using.
"
groink19 wrote:

1. Loot

When I reach red maps I proceed to remove all rare equipment from my item filter. Picking up armour, identifying it and seeing that it is trash. The loop which happens at every league start. The usefulness of rare equipment loot converges to 0 for time -> infinity, but becomes close to 0 very fast. Picking up, identifying, instantly throwing it into the bin because it is useless. It is tiring, it is not worth it. In my opinion dropped rare items must have the potential to be significantly stronger than crafted items.
What I want to say is: for me, exciting loot is the most important aspect in an ARPG for me. PoE is sadly the opposite for me 99 % of the time. It is just a grind of currency. And what do we do with currency in SSF?

Yes. It's funny that I care so little about equipment dropping in an ARPG. A lot of the equipment brought back from the boat early in the league had T1 mods frequently. I'd like to see fewer rares drop but with these better mods.

And I say "from the boat early in the league" because I cannot keep up with gold costs, so there's no more boat bringing anything back. Oh well.
I am very glad that the devs make the game how they want to make it or we would get another d3 d4.

In short you 3 the game isn't made for you.

The game is made for a niche audience and they know that.

You can't please everyone now if they do well it turns into turds.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Coconutdoggy wrote:

Would you care to elaborate on that? Because like this it feels superficial and condescending.
I think the game is exactly for people like me. I enjoy the game, I enjoy especially its complexity. I do not think that I would have spent 1800 hours in a game which is not "for me".
"
groink19 wrote:
"
Coconutdoggy wrote:

Would you care to elaborate on that? Because like this it feels superficial and condescending.
I think the game is exactly for people like me. I enjoy the game, I enjoy especially its complexity. I do not think that I would have spent 1800 hours in a game which is not "for me".

Clearly not within the OP of yours this ISN'T your game if your complaining about those issues because those issues will remain here for pretty much til the end of time.

That includes POE 2 as well.

You won't have a future if you can't adapt and well from what I see you do not want too.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
groink19 wrote:
Hi!

Yesterday was the day that comes every league: the (depressing) realization that the league is over for me. The joy I felt the days before turned into a feeling of doing chores which ultimately lead to nothing but sustain.
Then I had a strong think about what makes me lose the joy every league, and I gathered some (some subjective, some objective) points which kill my game experience sooner or later.

1. Loot

2. Crafting

This league for example I wanted to craft a physical two-handed axe for my Rage Vortex impale version. I looked at the following methods:
- Harvest reforge physical
- Recombination
- Fossil crafting
- Rog
My problem with all of these choices: the pure underlying concept, which goes
Farm currency -> (buy crafting currency/raw materials if trade league) -> use crafting method -> Repeat X times and pray for X < infinity
Feels so bad man. Where is the skill I can apply? Oh right, it is sadly in the first step. If I have a currency farming strategy that is good, I can reduce the time in crafting hell. Or, if trade league, just ignore all crafting and buy gear others crafted. But should crafting not be fun? Well, for me in PoE it is pure frustration.

3. Some game mechanics

I like the ores in the map. Killing the spawn points, saving my tree, channeling my difficulty. It is fast, it is exciting, it is gameplay variety. But the fourth one...
I click on ore, I get ore. Same with Niko: I click on sulphite, I get sulphite. No gameplay, no fun. Clicking games are not fun for me.
Ritual? Gameplay for me is okay, loot is interesting in a way. But I disable it every league. Why? I forget to look at the loot half of the time at the end of the map. I know that is the same for many players. Why did we not change it since Ritual was introduced? Anyway, I feel terrible when I notice that I forgot to gather my reward time and time again. So, disable it.
Breach? I actually like the gameplay, but the rewards man, the rewards. Breach rings? Must've been useful before I started playing. Splinters? Splinters. I click on splinters, I put them in stash. They do nothing but sit there. It is so lame. I understand that certain bosses etc. need to have an entry fee, but man. Splinters. In my opinion that cannot be the way.
Harbinger? Man, more splinters, this time called "shards". Do nothing, sit in stash. I look at them, I feel bad. I like the gameplay mechanic, but the specific loot of the mechanic... shards. Feels bad man.
I could go on with e. g. Syndicate, but Mark already mentioned that they are working on seperating the board from Katarina. Thank the lord.

4. Some monsters

Whakawairua Tuahu... the map boss. What the flying f. This is not a challenge, this is torture. Well, for some builds it is not. God bless them.
Soul Eater mod... I am usually fine with monster mods, even the lightning cone one and MOSTLY the ice wall guys. But soul eater? What the flying f. Instant massive difficulty spike. The moment you are confidently doing a map, and then, baaam, one monster runs at you and slaps the life out of you. It is crazy that this mod still exists. Speaking of still existing...

5. Generally powerful items/mechanics

Ralakesh boots... got even stronger. Why? Another new absurdly strong general mechanic: elemental dmg reduction by endurance charges. I love theory crafting, but these things make me feel bad. I love items which are powerful in certain scenarios, I hate items which solve all your problems. I want elemental ailment immunity? 3 rare jewels and Stormshroud, done. Works on any build. Cries in Purity of Elements.

Sorry for the rambling, but I had to share the feelings I feel every league. I love theorycrafting builds, but when I start playing the game, reality catches up to me sooner or later.

1 Loot

"When I reach red maps I proceed to remove all rare equipment from my item filter"
Spoiler
This statement, is like breaking spaghetti in front of Italians. There are so many rare items that are 1/2 mods away from being great, so many that are literally a beast craft swap (5c) from being an amazing substitute. You cant even get any high base types if you do this.

Crafters right now are smiling knowing that you are one less person they have to worry about getting into their market.

Statements like this kind of tell me the lack of experience an account has at this game for not just making currency, but also crafting and recognizing loot. Or how to even obtain loot.

This comes off as "if I dont see big shiny and hear a SCHWOOM on my loot filter it must be bad"...

Its your choice to play this way, but man is it such a poor choice for this game.

2 Crafting
Spoiler
I dont even really want to read this part after seeing what was posted above.

3 Some game mechanics
Spoiler

a) Clicking games are not fun for you? Uh.... well play on console then? Im confused why you play a game like this then. Its an ARPG, you click, A LOT.

b) Forgetting ritual... thats a player issue, not the games problem. Like forgetting to go into the sacred grove....

c) Splinters I agree should just all stack in the center after the breach is done.

d) You are 100000% mistaken about harbinger. It is a mechanic that if you dont invest into it, its horrific, .... like every other mechanic in the game. Harby is extremely lucrative if you spec the tree and scarabs for it.

4 Some monsters
Spoiler

a) Wahakhookashmeeke boss is annoying, but its a one time thing, whatever. Several unique maps are annoying. Actions cant find the boss nightmare, Mao Kun..

b) I agree somewhat that Soul eater should be toned down. Or not able to even be rolled in some cases (resurrectors, infinite mobs until main one dies mechanics...)

5 Generally powerful items/mechanics
Spoiler

You hate the buffs the melee side of the tree got?

Hard disagree.

Ailment immunity isnt required...

Goodluck!
"Just goes to show your complete lack of knowledge on the matter. If you had any actual experience with melee" -Melee "Expert"
"
groink19 wrote:
The usefulness of rare equipment loot converges to 0 for time -> infinity, but becomes close to 0 very fast. Picking up, identifying, instantly throwing it into the bin because it is useless. It is tiring, it is not worth it. In my opinion dropped rare items must have the potential to be significantly stronger than crafted items.
What I want to say is: for me, exciting loot is the most important aspect in an ARPG for me. PoE is sadly the opposite for me 99 % of the time. It is just a grind of currency.

I completely agree with this.
Right now people are just focusing on efficiency to clear maps as fast as possible instead of this chase in trying to find the really good stuff.

Dropped modifiers should be able to have a tier higher than crafted ones imo.
"
Mashgesture wrote:

Crafters right now are smiling knowing that you are one less person they have to worry about getting into their market.

I think you're lost. No crafter ever cares about identifying rares on the ground. You buy a base you want or something that's decent then do smth ez like eldritch craft, reroll pref/suff etc. But you don't actually loot those rares.

Besides, most great crafts are all done the same way. Essence spam until you got 3 good mods, pref/suff cannot be changed into something like veild orb, reforge defense or smth.

"
Mashgesture wrote:

b) Forgetting ritual... thats a player issue, not the games problem. Like forgetting to go into the sacred grove....

The interface is just bad. It's just like metamorph, it pops up and annoys you all the time except for the very second you're about to leave the map so you end up forgetting about it. The game is meant to be enjoyable, not a chore. Also, people don't forget to go to the sacred grove, that's a horrible comparison, that would be more like saying people forget to activate the ritual, which they don't. They do all rituals but forget to check the rewards, it's completely different.

"
Mashgesture wrote:

like every other mechanic in the game. Harby is extremely lucrative if you spec the tree and scarabs for it.

Harby is crap unless you do it for a very long time even if you invest in it.

"
Mashgesture wrote:

Ailment immunity isnt required...

My comment here isn't fully related but .. Petrification really needs to be changed. It's just dumb to be petrified for 3 seconds unable to do anything.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info