The problem is the PvP system.

From the Dev Manifesto:

"There's also a PvP revamp coming! We're looking at the following areas of improvement:
PvP balance tweaks (without breaking the existing PvE balance)
Proper rankings and PvP ladders
Scheduled tournaments (for example, single elimination)
More PvP modes (eventually modes like Capture the Flag)
Specific skills designed to mitigate dominant builds in PvP. It's intended to be a lot like an MTG metagame
More arenas and tilesets"

"Its intended to be a lot like an MTG metagame." For those of you that dont play MTG competitively, MTG metagame is basically Rock / Paper / Scissor.

When they say specific skills to mitigate dominant builds, it means that when Rock gets too powerful, it gives Paper and Scissors specific skills to counter what Rock does best so that it is an even Rock Paper Scissors again. For example, adding a red or green skill gem that says "This aura makes you immune to bear trap." Or something like that.

I am not saying whether this is good or bad, but it should help you understand the way PvP is going in this game. It is a clikc-to-move hack & slash loot based game. You will never truly find competitive skill based PvP in a game like this because the game is designed for killing monsters and finding loot. PvP is just something on the side to do in a game like this.

That being said, tournaments and rankings and ladders sounds like fun....but it will be dominated by 3-4 different builds that each beat each other depending on the matchup.
IGN: Cimos_Baller
Last edited by Cimos21 on Apr 24, 2013, 12:35:42 PM
Even if it happens less than the half of the times, in the end people will get tired of it because they will think that PvP is unbalanced.

Also, i understand what you say about elemental and physical damage. And as i said, i think that balancing this game for PvP and PvE, will be extremly hard if not impossible, there are too many variables.

That is why, i think that the only viable way to do fun and "fair" PvP, where people will not feel like the difference of PvP efficiency is insane; is TEAM vs TEAM (with more than 3 players), because if that's the case, it would be easier or NOT impossible to balance the game for PvE and PvP.

I also said that FFA would be fun, eventhough, the counterbuilds will exist and people will have to deal with it, running away.
"The harder the game, the better."
"
Vold316 wrote:
Even if it happens less than the half of the times, in the end people will get tired of it because they will think that PvP is unbalanced.

Also, i understand what you say about elemental and physical damage. And as i said, i think that balancing this game for PvP and PvE, will be extremly hard if not impossible, there are too many variables.

That is why, i think that the only viable way to do fun and "fair" PvP, where people will not feel like the difference of PvP efficiency is insane; is TEAM vs TEAM (with more than 3 players), because if that's the case, it would be easier or NOT impossible to balance the game for PvE and PvP.

I also said that FFA would be fun, eventhough, the counterbuilds will exist and people will have to deal with it, running away.

Well those "people" dont include me. I am fairly happy with the PvP system.. allthough certain builds such as bow rangers need a serious buff. Other than that its not like its a big deal.. The PvP in this game is not that much of a deal as it atm, and I will head to cutthroat league which is also PvP. I can understand that Bow Rangers are frustrated but I have a simple solution for those: Dont play bow ranger. (Again lvl 28 PvP.) Cutthroat league has alot more problems than the PvP arenas just to let you know. The arenas work fairly well allthough there are certain problems with it.. Especialy in Merciless difficulty. But like I said I dont see much of a reason for changing the arena system that much. Im not sure what people complain about in the PvP arenas.. They work well IMO. Even though im not that much into arenas I play it most of the time... waiting for cutthroat... And since I play it most of the time I can def. say that it is not that flawed as some people might complain that it is. (Again low level PvP.)

This "Fair" PvP might be more fair for all players... even those who dont make PvP chars/twinks... But I find that PvP is about making those characters... "Fair PvP" sounds really boring to me... Its just the people who joined as level 16 and complained that it was not balanced because they lost to level 28? Well then make level 28 yourself... I dont get what you find so bad about the PvP arenas. People who joins as level 16 can make it rather boring at times. (I did do that myself though (:.. just to test :D.)
Yea, i've entered at low level as well, but i've been utterly destroyed. :P

Anyways, i guess that i'm not used to this metagame-like PvP, i hope that i find the joy on doing PvP after the revamp.

TBH, i don't like either the massive PvP of games like WoW and Guild wars, specially Guild Wars WvW, i really disliked it.
The PvP i've enjoyed the most is the one of Neverwinter Nights 1, in balanced servers, where the only thing that matters is your build, regardless of the equipment.

I'm guessing that in the future of PoE the best build for 1 v 1 will be the most versatile one, with many different counterbuild gems and uniques, so that he can change his strategy to become a paper a scissor or a rock, depending on the opponent.

Anyways, i still think that it'd be fun to have TEAM vs TEAM, where the players of a TEAM know eachother and create their builds just for the purpose of TEAM PvP. Even if this is going to be similar to metagame PvP, this is probably the most entertaining option, at least for me.

I'll just wait for the revamp and see what happens, i'm curious now on how they are going to make it balanced for PvE and Metagame-like PvP.
"The harder the game, the better."
Last edited by Vold316 on Apr 24, 2013, 5:50:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info