Build of the Week Season 10 - Episode 6 - devon752's "Hotstepper" Frostblink Elementalist

"
toyomatt84 wrote:
Quit using the term "we" in a build review. YOU didn't make the character, you're just reviewing it.

why so salty?
"
auspexa wrote:
"
yakoob wrote:
"
auspexa wrote:
probably the first time this league where you've actually showcased a build that's viable for league start and endgame, thanks.

Spoiler
Seeing how this build:
- is nearly impossible to play before first ascend
- barely comes online at lvl 53 with bronns
- requires 20 catalysts of one kind, which you only can aquire once you get to maps
- requires 2 quite rare uniques when uniques are almost non existent with the changes to monster quantity/rarity
- requires unique hidden behind heist blueprints which is cancer rng at best
- requires unique hidden behind uber endgame content (uber uber elder)
- requires items that do not exist on trade untill like day 3 or 4 at best

we rly must have very different understanding of what a league starter is ;)

it doesnt require most of what you said, you probably didnt understand the build fully if you think those are mandatory.
Spoiler

you don't need replica cold iron point to make the build work, in fact a lot of people who play this build don't even use it at all.

if you don't use replica cold iron point, you don't need pyre either, because it's only in the build because of replica cold iron point, as you can't deal any cold damage with it so you have to convert.

impresence is also completely optional, again, most people don't even use that amulet. replica mistwall is nothing more than an optional defensive layer, any shield would work in that slot.

further, the version showcased in the video is far from being optimized. polaric devastation and replica emberwake are way better items for this build, but then again they're not mandatory.

so you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, don't understand how this build works, and never seen any other version of this build. there are hundreds of versions of it, and in all of them bronn's lithe is the only unique that's mandatory.

and a league starter build means a build that can clear low tier maps efficiently without expensive/rare gear. bronn's lithe is just a 1c chest you can find on the second day of the league.
shouldn't be too hard to do acts with something else and switch around level 70 unless you're stupid.
Spoiler

"cOmEs oNlInE aT lEveL 53 aNd rEqUiReS fIrSt aScEnSiOn"

mind you, league starter doesn't mean something you can play from level 1 to level 100. you make it sound like it's impossible to play any basic ignite build with a fire skill until you get the chest. this build is one of the best league starters because you can transition into the actual build very easily without even changing your tree

We are talking here about specific Devon's Hotstepper build not some generic Frostblink ignite idea for a build. When you go to the builds forum post first thing he says in pros&cons is that it is not a starter build. But okay. Let's entertain your idea. Surely I did not udnerstand the build.

When you remove 90% of things presented in it, it is totaly "the same build". Just like when you strip away bacon, eggs, cheese and black pepper from carbonara, leaving only salted boiled pasta in it, it is totaly still carbonara, right?

Like I said we might have a completely different understanding of what a starter build is and You totally proved me right in your own words.

In my book a build that you transition into at lvl 70 is NOT a starter build. Whatever you gonna play before transitioning at 70 is your starter build and your frostblink ignite at lvl 70 is your transition build.

In my understanding a starter build is something you can play as soon as skill is available from vendor to you, something that doesn't require much or anything to work with and something that allows you to get thru campaign and low maps to transition into "the build" that you'd like to play "for real".

Examples
ex1: A generic Zombie+Skelleton build or regular melee hit srs build would be a starter for a Golem build that you transition into once you get neccesary ingredients for it to work "properly" and not "feel terrible".

ex2: A generic CWC/desecrate/VD build would be a starter for a CoC/desecrate/VD build that requires specific hit chance, attack speed and crit treshold for it to work or not feel bad.

ex3: A generic Fireball/Armageddon Brand Ignite build would be a starter for a Death Wish Ignite build that requires a specific helmet and shield to even work and empower to not feel bad.
Oh wait.. simmilar story for Frostblink Ignite ;)

"
auspexa wrote:
[..]shouldn't be too hard to do acts with something else and switch around level 70 unless you're stupid.

"cOmEs oNlInE aT lEveL 53 aNd rEqUiReS fIrSt aScEnSiOn"[..]

I wasn't toxic towards you in my original post and I even placed a winky at the end so you know I am friendly. So I do not understand your need for toxicity and your caricatured quote of mine with extensive letter capitalisation.

"
auspexa wrote:
[..]mind you, league starter doesn't mean something you can play from level 1 to level 100. you make it sound like it's impossible to play any basic ignite build with a fire skill until you get the chest. this build is one of the best league starters because you can transition into the actual build very easily without even changing your tree

Mind you, I am not calling you stupid. Even tho in the next few sentences after you make that toxic quote you completely disprove the whole wall of text you wrote above. By calling "the build" a build that you need to transition into out of smthin else taht you start the league with. And specificaly try to avoid calling the "any basic ignite build with a fire skill" prior to transtion a "starter build". Even tho it is obvious at that point that it is what it is no matter how much you are going to try to write around it.

Peace.
Last edited by yakoob on Oct 21, 2022, 9:02:50 PM
Dear lord this thread is a mess. Some people would benefit from completely stepping away from the game for a while if they're so hellbent on hating everything involving it.
"
arpgaddict wrote:

The only reason this exists is because no one else, or at least no one besides jung [Removed by Support]that gets views, is making build guides so they have to. I doubt they will keep this up if new leagues aren't the same but as some one that has 20k hours across multiple accounts I personally will not be coming back and I'm not the only one. So it's double sided sword. you get popular league and ggg thinks they can f off and focus on mtx or you get dead game and ggg thinks they can fix it with ripped off builds with multiple errors and hax items.

hopefully you wont, but you will.

"
ebrl wrote:
Dear lord this thread is a mess. Some people would benefit from completely stepping away from the game for a while if they're so hellbent on hating everything involving it.

Toxicity levels are far beyond acceptable these days.
Last edited by SpaniardPuss on Oct 21, 2022, 9:39:35 PM
If it is a good build then it will be nerfed next league.
"
toyomatt84 wrote:
Quit using the term "we" in a build review. YOU didn't make the character, you're just reviewing it.

You don't understand why we're using the term we do you. We could explain it to you, however we think you'll figure it out sooner or later. <3
"
"
Emertus wrote:
"
Orca_Orcinus wrote:
Pyre doesn't need to be catalaysed, just use Anomalous Cold to Fire.

Not sure how this slipped past a team whose only purpose is to theorize builds...

First, you know it was one player, right? Also, the Catalysts scale other mods on the ring as well. It's evidently fine. [Removed by Support]

lmao ikr

[Removed by Support]

If "this single guy" used the proper support gem, HE COULD CATALYSE PYRE A DIFFERENT WAY.

[Removed by Support]
Last edited by Lisa_GGG on Oct 22, 2022, 6:49:36 PM
nice
"
yakoob wrote:

We are talking here about specific Devon's Hotstepper build not some generic Frostblink ignite idea for a build. When you go to the builds forum post first thing he says in pros&cons is that it is not a starter build. But okay. Let's entertain your idea. Surely I did not udnerstand the build.

When you remove 90% of things presented in it, it is totaly "the same build". Just like when you strip away bacon, eggs, cheese and black pepper from carbonara, leaving only salted boiled pasta in it, it is totaly still carbonara, right?

Like I said we might have a completely different understanding of what a starter build is and You totally proved me right in your own words.

In my book a build that you transition into at lvl 70 is NOT a starter build. Whatever you gonna play before transitioning at 70 is your starter build and your frostblink ignite at lvl 70 is your transition build.

In my understanding a starter build is something you can play as soon as skill is available from vendor to you, something that doesn't require much or anything to work with and something that allows you to get thru campaign and low maps to transition into "the build" that you'd like to play "for real".

Examples
ex1: A generic Zombie+Skelleton build or regular melee hit srs build would be a starter for a Golem build that you transition into once you get neccesary ingredients for it to work "properly" and not "feel terrible".

ex2: A generic CWC/desecrate/VD build would be a starter for a CoC/desecrate/VD build that requires specific hit chance, attack speed and crit treshold for it to work or not feel bad.

ex3: A generic Fireball/Armageddon Brand Ignite build would be a starter for a Death Wish Ignite build that requires a specific helmet and shield to even work and empower to not feel bad.
Oh wait.. simmilar story for Frostblink Ignite ;)

I wasn't toxic towards you in my original post and I even placed a winky at the end so you know I am friendly. So I do not understand your need for toxicity and your caricatured quote of mine with extensive letter capitalisation.

Mind you, I am not calling you stupid. Even tho in the next few sentences after you make that toxic quote you completely disprove the whole wall of text you wrote above. By calling "the build" a build that you need to transition into out of smthin else taht you start the league with. And specificaly try to avoid calling the "any basic ignite build with a fire skill" prior to transtion a "starter build". Even tho it is obvious at that point that it is what it is no matter how much you are going to try to write around it.

Peace.

Because it's the same build if you remove replica cold iron point, pyre and impresence. Those items aren't key uniques and don't provide anything specific for the build, replica cold iron point is just a budget weapon to get more damage out of frostblink. You could replace it with a +2 wand and absolutely nothing would change in the build. So Pyre becomes redundant as soon as you get rid of replica CIP and impresence is just QoL, but a +2 amulet or ashes would probably be much better depending on the setup. The defining aspect of this build is entirely based on Bronn's Lithe and Shaper of Flames.

This mentality is what's killing build diversity in poe, people are so afraid of changing and optimizing builds to fit their playstyles and blindly copy everything they see on their streamers' stream. And this is probably why you think it's not a good starter when in fact it's one of the best starters because it needs only one unique, which is like 2c, and you can transition from any ignite build to this without changing your setup/tree. By your logic, referring to your statement regarding the build coming online after the first lab, skills that become usable at level 28 can't be league starters either, because you can't use them before level 28. League starter doesn't mean something you can complete acts with, it means something you can clear early maps and get into red maps with low investment. If Bronn's Lithe somehow becomes a 5 div unique next league, then you'll be right but until then, no. There are hundreds of league starter builds that rely on a piece of unique or two and they're all fine.
Last edited by auspexa on Oct 23, 2022, 11:46:34 AM
Hi, can we get something that doesn't make me want to kill myself while trying to craft with a temple mod and influence or just influence in general? Fractured gets everything and I'm 3 dozen chests in and still can't get 3 prefixes I'm happy with. the non-influence harvest is beyond whatever, it's not worth it to mess with anything unless it's fractured. Seeing a fractured mod just adds a level of emptiness that's really discouraging to look at. I just want to craft something that doesn't have a useless mod on it. when you see t4 reflect, or stun and block recovery. Can we get a remove random lowest tier mod? Honestly feel like suicide rather than crafting this league. If I played ruthless I'd probably end up eating a bullet. There's enjoyable levels of pain and then there's I'm going to fucking kill myself if shit don't start looking up. This league is a Lake of Depression and it's starting to drown me. Should not be feeling like that playing a game.
*edit P.S.*
You used to craft and fill it up and then you could move onto another project, or try again and be somewhat content with what you had. There was a sense of completeness even if it was poop. Now it's just you hit 1 snag and there's no sense moving on with it and you start over again and again and again and that bunny's dead because it's been ran dry. And then you're left with a bunch of incomplete reminders of how empty something is. Recooms gave a sense of hope and the ability to keep pushing on despite all the nerfs and difficulty of achieving a goal. The glass was half full when the league started, it kept on getting spilled, and now you can't fool yourself into thinking it's half full, it's nearly empty.
Last edited by Xernobog on Oct 23, 2022, 2:01:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info