3.14 Toxic Rain - Leaguestart guide with in depth crafting and gearing section - updated

"
aeri0r wrote:
Or use concentrated effect...indeed you can effectively reduce aoe ^^

I feel like this will double dip negatively on Toxic Rain.

Reducing the AoE both reduces the radius of Toxic Rain, and the radius of each pod, preventing overlap.
"
Pourliver wrote:
"
aeri0r wrote:
Or use concentrated effect...indeed you can effectively reduce aoe ^^

I feel like this will double dip negatively on Toxic Rain.

Reducing the AoE both reduces the radius of Toxic Rain, and the radius of each pod, preventing overlap.

Hmm, you may have a point here. I wished they push some more precise info on overlapping effects from this change. And adding to that, conc effect may be good on st then, but will hinder map clear.

So it might be better switching TR with CA now.. :/
"
The spread range of spore pods from Toxic Rain is now affected by Area of Effect modifiers.

the absolute worst case scenario. i knew they were going to do it this way, but i hoped they were going to just reduce the projectiles and dmg a bit.

so basically now it scales area like rain of arrows does. the more inc area you have, the more spread (previously only +arrows gave that) AND the more pod area you have (previously this is all +aoe did, to increase overlap)

so basically sources of +area will not change your single target at all. it will merely change your clear speed by having more aoe and more spread. it should equal out to about the same as well.

so the opposite is true as well. a smaller radius or things like conc effect will not increase your single target either because at the same ratio (assuming) the spread and aoe should be both reduced or increased. again just like rain of arrows.

so basically.....the top end of TR for bossing just got absolutely fucking shit on, and its much worse then what we could have hoped for (20% dmg reduction and less projectiles).

basically this skill will still be amazing for league starting and early mapping, but it will really struggle with taking down the end game bosses.
i'd be guessing you'll maximum be able to get 4 projectile overlap now. i dunno, on my current build i get like 7-8 because of my +aoe%, which is massive. so this essentially HALVES my damage.

it should cut majority of TR builds damage by about 35-40%, i'd guess.

TLDR: basically there is no way you can get more overlap, which was the crux of TRs top end damage
Last edited by xMustard on Apr 13, 2021, 8:54:25 PM
How does Caustic Arrow interact with Toxic Rain? Would that be beneficial as an additional method to scale damage?

Speaking casually, seems like TR is still a solid choice to league start and I could suggest this to a few of my "normie" friends.
"
MisterTails wrote:
How does Caustic Arrow interact with Toxic Rain? Would that be beneficial as an additional method to scale damage?

Speaking casually, seems like TR is still a solid choice to league start and I could suggest this to a few of my "normie" friends.

TR and CA are still the best league starters, by a mile, absolutely.
as a league starter, until you got heavily into red tier maps you didn't care about additional area of effect and more pod overlap, so it will still be king up until that point.

i personally will not touch the gem again. they changed it mechanically just like they wrecked molten strikes mechanics, and i hate how RoA plays so i'll hate this new TR

i would say the bridge between CA and TR just got much much shorter. TR could possibly still be a better option, since CA also got nerfed with the betrayal crafts. TR will still do more damage and has a slow associated with it, but its damage ramp will be much riskier.

i know i'd prefer CA over TR at this point
Last edited by xMustard on Apr 13, 2021, 10:04:32 PM
What if i told you that strictly as a league start build, meaning low investment scenario build is virtually unchanged

I'm at work now but I'll start updating the build when i get home

Tldr is 4 overlap is now guaranteed, no reason to focus on aoe anymore, just getting a bit and then stop

Depending on real life testing 5 overlap might be possible with concentrated effect swap

Cluster jewel nerfs are laughable, you should never ever ever run a bow cluster any more, duration is unreliable dps so losing some of it is literally whatever, pob warriors will shit their pants but nobody else will ever notice the difference between 1.7 and 1.8 seconds duration

Build got significantly cheaper and you scale aoe with projectiles now, Deadeye becomes best ascendancy once you have gear, raider is king for leveling, early maps

Everything will be explained when i get home, get ready for some master paint skills
IGN JustifiedF
They also said ''The base spread range of the spore pods has also been slightly lowered.''

No one is talking about that? With that being said it shouldnt be that bad no? Means AoE will impact less the spread range since the base spread range is lowered ?
Last edited by GG_TWiF on Apr 14, 2021, 3:58:32 AM
Yes, that means that getting to 5 overlap might be even easier than before which would be a buff for low gear, and nerf for high end gear

Don't get me wrong, skill is nerfed and harder to scale but lets face it, nobody was league starting toxic rain with expectation of farming awakener 8 or maven

In terms of mapping and sib 15-20ex budget nerf is irrelevant and it might actually be a buff for low budget, as i said I'll need to test this first
IGN JustifiedF
"
They also said ''The base spread range of the spore pods has also been slightly lowered.''
Which means it's better with league start gear where you have nothing. And worse with investment in aoe.

If you want to level with TR it's gonna be the same or slightly better. Because you wouldn't have stuff like carcass, clusters, dying sun, awakened aoe or basically anything that was used to increase aoe at top end.

There's also less reason to go PF for the +30%aoe, it's probably better to scale attack speed with Deadeye (powerful tailwind, much more than boots, and for free) or Raider (onslaught scaling).

Also once you move from mines to self cast, 3 mirage archers from deadeye is really strong, and while they nerfed aoe overlap, they didn't nerf stacking multiple casts with each other (attack speed + mirage + duration scaling).
So, let me get this straight, impression from reading the last page discussion: if i comfortably did all content in the game [ninjaedit: never touched delirium maps, so statement isn't entirely true] on 4-5 overlapping pods (which i did since i never bothered to invest in extra proj), TR for me is essentially unchanged?
Last edited by nskLantash on Apr 14, 2021, 10:23:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info