Whirling Blades

Blocking WHILE you are in the middle of a Whirling Blades attacks stops the character at the point of blocking. I can't tell if it is just an animation thing and if I would pass through the other mobs in the path I was going or if I actually stop there entirely since I never seem to be able to do it with mobs behind the one I block. Testing this further.

*Currently I can only really get it to work with Rhoa's that are charging me. It's hard to get more then 1 of them charging on the same trajectory.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

Last edited by Dark0mens on Jul 9, 2012, 6:57:41 PM
That is because Roas and charge do interrupt your actions just like you can interrupt theirs with shield charge

Last edited by Torin on Jul 10, 2012, 2:09:48 AM
"
Torin wrote:
That is because Roas and charge do interrupt your actions just like you can interrupt theirs with shield charge

Bah guess there will be no more face smashing into Rhoas with Whirling Blades.

"
Dark0mens wrote:
"
Torin wrote:

Bah guess there will be no more face smashing into Rhoas with Whirling Blades.

No but if you got a shield you can charge them back and interrupt each other :)

I feel like whirling blades is both, an awesome, cool looking skill, and a bit cryptic.

I mean, how does attack speed factor in?
How does accuracy factor in?
What happens when I dual wield?

The first and third questions are answered in this thread, but it definitely requires some research.

I feel like the gem's description needs to be a bit more fleshed out.

Also, as I asked earlier, how does accuracy factor into this? Is it like shield charge, in that, it always hits? Or, will hit some people, miss others, in a single pass? Or, will it hit everyone or miss everyone in a single pass?

Thanks!
IGN: Royal_Princess, Princess_of_Wraeclast, Vaal_Princess, Diamond_Princess
I've been using this skill recently on my shadow as a melee aoe ability. With my current gear and spec it does 2.4k dps which seems to work well enough to clear groups of white mobs in chaos.

Unfortunately like others have said it suffers from desync issues. However I've noticed that it only really happens when I use this skill by selecting a monster as a target, if I just target the ground instead it doesn't seem to happen as often.

It seems possible that if a monster is desynced on my screen and I use whirling blades on it my character will desync as well. For example if a monster appears to be above my character but server side it is actually to my right, if I use whirling blades on it on my screen my character will end up far above where I initially was, but server side I will actually end up far to the right. Just a guess though.

Regardless, if you want to use this skill for its damage and your having desync issues try just targeting the ground instead of targeting monsters, see if it helps.
Last edited by Danos on Jul 14, 2012, 1:44:11 AM
2.4k dps....is amazing. Mine only does 658 without Phase Run buff. Of course I am still in Ruthless and only have a 4L on it atm. 842 with just phase run buff. 714 with 3 power charges from Volls, 884 with both phase run and power charges (30% crit with 3 charges). Mana cost is a bit high though especially since I am using Volls. Looking to change to a wand with power siphon when 9.11 hits and get a 5l/6l armor to replace Volls.

What supports are you using and what weapon type if you don't mind me asking? I was thinking of switching to something a bit more hard hitting in the future like a claw or sword.

And yes Desync is pretty bad with this skill. Also noticing at times it simply refuses to actually land a hit on a pack of 10 mobs several times.

Last edited by Dark0mens on Jul 17, 2012, 4:01:53 PM
I'm now level 71 and my whirling blades dps is 2.9k with 4 frenzy charges. I'm also using a 4 link. The supports I use are melee damage, melee damage on full life, and added fire damage. Since I'm specced into chaos inoculation my life is always full so that support is always active. In comparison, my flicker strike does 9.7k with 4 frenzy charges and the same support gems. I also use the hatred aura.

This is the weapon I use:
Spoiler
Unavailable

And this is my spec:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQYANrhKMGPyeo-dZRiliAlmJS-jDIP7PiOocKt4krdArboakGuPMOlmEou_Ct9at2vVtiTYK8cfYR_k6IMjh55JBw3wYAWWOqa0jCqIdnPPFqWkXuGhIa7wtSUhCTfHP9CkqQp_PJecw4lBvLJaOqvyJ5o64s3yQz9-ytzcGeDBFyDoQHTtX5u5iLCmEews18IL9yMgubZGC5C7jPTncuhoeRfvGN7M-ZFIL9VPYsOrSR_t2XhIxLMneVwLouhu2O3-nMVEzQWqm1XgS2y2P55fTb0hu1b9mG3TzcpmY0lHOJz1ObqPIXnaeuL2Bz1IJBAMMuq57Bi6bYR8hsoZfPbQmtR8MYuEmCbzXa1vryRYny3udu7PWtVtV5WEki4bzk5NgMkz1aoFOlYKqDEdF4eVh7PUfJOwbKS0XQvBKXcAFglTSrmcsVeM1Q==

It will probably be ruined on Monday when the new patch comes out. ;P

Leveling from 58 to 71 in chaos I've died about 15 times and every time was due to desync, I hope that gets fixed eventually.
Last edited by Danos on Jul 18, 2012, 3:28:53 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Yeah your build is close to the one I was making on my 2nd shadow. I just haven't gotten around to going up to get CI and I really should. Somewhere along the way I decided to deviate from what I had made for some odd reason.....probably shouldn't think about where to spend skill points when drinking.

My WB is getting up there, currently at around 950 dps but I also don't have any elemental damage skill nodes at the moment. Really need to get off using daggers I think and grab a sword of some sort. Thankfully I will have 2 shadows to respec come 9.11 along with a host of other characters.

It is really really frustrating not being able to control the range of it.. Also as some mentioned the animation before and at the end is just annoyingly long which adds to the factor clustery/bricky in combat.
Last edited by neroscapegod on Jul 22, 2012, 6:53:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info