[3.14] Tectonic Slam+Earthshatter 2H Chieftain, 20mil Damage slam, Screen-wide AoE, 2.5k HP/s regen

I have started a build similar to this but with a few differences. I am at T14-15 and 16+ watch stones.

I was running an EQ Jugg from a guide but decided to respec Chieftain. I have been tweaking and testing out different things based on POB, POE Nija builds, and personal testing to make my own setup. I am still trying hone and optimize this build so any help would be appreciated.

Here is my build for reference: https://pastebin.com/vCjWveXx
I also added a version of your set up.

Here are a few things I did with my build

The Formless Inferno - Gives you a ton of armor and mitigation since we get 100% free res going Chieftain.

Iron Reflexes - If you gear around this It also gives you a ton of Armor between formless and this you can hit over 25k armor. Might consider spacing out of this but it does provide a lot.

Soul Tread - a chunk of ES and Immortal Ambition.

Thoughts on Chainbreaker and Rage.

Shaper - Since going Chainbreaker this has helped a lot with my rage generation while mapping and bossing. I still have issues with sustaining full rage for clearing lots of packs.

Berserking - I am also looking into this + Bear's Girdle for 30+ rage for the 48% inc damage.

Rage Support - I might look into the potential of this with all the added buffs above could be potent.

Thoughts on Attack speed stacking.
ever since I started getting more attack speed from the rage I feel like Tawhoa, slams, and Fists of War are less worth it due to the long cooldowns.

Thoughts on Warcries
I love the damage scaling of warcries but I also feel like I burn through them faster than they are on cooldown. I might need to migrate more gems to my Second wind gem.

final Questions:
1: how did you manage to stack your damage so High in POB?

2: I also wanted to know what you think about Shockwave support? it Got a pretty big buff in 3.11 and is even better at LVL 21.

3: what about adding Berserk into the build for more attack damage and speed?

4: Any way for rage or Chainbreaker to apply/show up in POB?

Hope to hear back from you soon, or maybe we can hop on discord and we can share experiences/notes.
Last edited by sipress on Aug 2, 2020, 11:50:21 PM
Hi, I consider myself a newbie in the game. I do not understand why do you have a 6-link wor a warcry. Do all the support gems raise any important stat? The highlits on the armomr show the infernal cry as linked to all, but the small icons of the key-binded skills only show effects from the blue gems.
"
LukaG wrote:
Hi, I consider myself a newbie in the game. I do not understand why do you have a 6-link wor a warcry. Do all the support gems raise any important stat? The highlits on the armomr show the infernal cry as linked to all, but the small icons of the key-binded skills only show effects from the blue gems.

Hi, LukaG.

I was confused about this as well when I first saw someone 6-linking it. The Infernal cry, or more specifically, Combust is basically another attack if you have it exerted. When checking the key-binded skills, look for Combust instead of Infernal cry. The tooltip shows them like separate skills. I added an image below and also in the guide.
"
sipress wrote:
I have started a build similar to this but with a few differences. I am at T14-15 and 16+ watch stones.

I was running an EQ Jugg from a guide but decided to respec Chieftain. I have been tweaking and testing out different things based on POB, POE Nija builds, and personal testing to make my own setup. I am still trying hone and optimize this build so any help would be appreciated.

Here is my build for reference: https://pastebin.com/vCjWveXx
I also added a version of your set up.

Here are a few things I did with my build

The Formless Inferno - Gives you a ton of armor and mitigation since we get 100% free res going Chieftain.

Iron Reflexes - If you gear around this It also gives you a ton of Armor between formless and this you can hit over 25k armor. Might consider spacing out of this but it does provide a lot.

Soul Tread - a chunk of ES and Immortal Ambition.

Thoughts on Chainbreaker and Rage.

Shaper - Since going Chainbreaker this has helped a lot with my rage generation while mapping and bossing. I still have issues with sustaining full rage for clearing lots of packs.

Berserking - I am also looking into this + Bear's Girdle for 30+ rage for the 48% inc damage.

Rage Support - I might look into the potential of this with all the added buffs above could be potent.

Thoughts on Attack speed stacking.
ever since I started getting more attack speed from the rage I feel like Tawhoa, slams, and Fists of War are less worth it due to the long cooldowns.

Thoughts on Warcries
I love the damage scaling of warcries but I also feel like I burn through them faster than they are on cooldown. I might need to migrate more gems to my Second wind gem.

final Questions:
1: how did you manage to stack your damage so High in POB?

2: I also wanted to know what you think about Shockwave support? it Got a pretty big buff in 3.11 and is even better at LVL 21.

3: what about adding Berserk into the build for more attack damage and speed?

4: Any way for rage or Chainbreaker to apply/show up in POB?

Hope to hear back from you soon, or maybe we can hop on discord and we can share experiences/notes.

Hi, sipress. A lot of good questions.

First of all, let's discuss Armour since you are focusing on it a lot. Based on the "Armour" wiki page armor mitigation works in a way that you would need 90 times more armour than the damage source to block 90% of the damage. So with 25k armour you could block 90% of 277 damage attack. Let's see other scenarios as well:
- 3/4 damage mitigation you could mitigate 624 damage out of 833 (25000/30=833, 833*3/4=624).
- 2/3: 833 out of 1250 (25000/20=1250, 1250*2/3=833)
- 1/2: 1250 out of 2500 (25000/10=2500, 2500/2=1250)
- 1/3: 1600 out of 5000 (25000/5=5000, 5000*1/3=1666)
As you can see the damage mitigation is less and less efficient the higher the damage source. So it's really good with a lot of smaller attacks which means when mapping. But let me ask you this - do regular monsters in maps really kill you with having less armour?
Unless I am on shocked ground (which is a different type of issues I think) I am not dying at this point. Let's not forget that we also have 2000-3000HP regen, Molten shell and I also have Enfeeble.

Now let's look at the other scenario. Big shots from bosses. How much can you take with and without the armour? In PoB Configuration section there is "Enemy hit damage" section. I believe that we can use that to get an estimate of how much damage you can take. It's hard to do it manually because we have endurance charges that give flat physical damage reduction that doesn't change with damage amount. Let's also say your Lion's roar is not active (-3000 Armour) because you might run out of charges while bossing and also I disabled Molten shell.

With the Iron Reflexes and a hit damage of 15000 the mitigation shown is 59% and that is about all your life (15000*0.41=6150).

When I disable Iron Reflexes the damage mitigation is 54% and that totals of (15000*(1-0.54)=6900) life. So I had to downscale the damage to around 13500 (13500*(1-0.55)=6075). So with Iron Reflexes you can take around 1500 more damage from one hit and survive.

So is it worth 4-5 skill points? If you respec the tree by also removing the small life you can use those points to get Tireless passive and make your life go up to 6620 (with some Dexterity issues). The nice part is that the life also works for other damage types but it's up to you to decide. This is the first time I did the math so I will have to consider this for a bit. But I hope you got the idea. And let me know if maybe missed something.

---------------------------------------------
The other topics.

The Formless Inferno Your fire damage reduction right now is 81%. It's probably really good against big shots because as we saw above the damage mitigation goes down to 50-60%. With small attacks we have 90% damage reduction so it's not worth it. It would be really nice if I was playing Hardcore but since I play Softcore I prefer movement speed with Devoto's Devotion (the attack speed and chaos resistance is nice as well).

Iron Reflexes - Discussed

Soul Tether - 5% of your life is 311 and with 33% increase from intelligence it is 413. The Ryslatha's Coil right now gives me +450 life and 18% average damage. Might be worth it if you combine the belt with Corrupted Soul instead of using Chainbreaker.

Rage Rage is nothing great for this build. It give only 5% damage at 50 rage. I use it only for movement speed and attack speed when bossing and with "bossing" I mean Uber Elder and Sirus. That is where it matters. And don't get the attack speed wrong. I don't use it to get in more attacks per second. I still attack only once every 2 seconds. The weakness for this build is any kind of slow. So with rage I mitigate the scenarios where I might get slowed. That's it. Attack speed is just "nice to have".

Thoughts on Attack speed stacking + Thoughts on Warcries - Like I mentioned above - I am never going to scale attack speed to get in more attacks per second. It's just a "nice to have". With this kind of mindset the only thing that makes my map clearspeed faster is more Area of Effect! With this mindset I also never run out of Exerted attacks or cooldowns of my warcries. This also implies that I have to one-shot everything so make sure you can do that.

final Questions:

1. There is a "Warcry calculation mode" in Configuration section and you can select "Max hit" there. Watch out for the Sesmic cry though because it will calculate with the last attack that deals the most damage. For more info check "About damage" section on the guide.

2. I have tried Shockwave but those attacks don't get exerted attack buffs. It's better to have another damage gem because exerted attacks will scale that as well.

3. Berserk - Hmm... I have not actually tried it in action but I cannot really imagine scenarios where it would be better than 25% attack speed and 10% movement speed. I want to keep that in my Sirus fight, haha. I would also have to drop a gem and replace the tootip of Vaal Molten shell. I use that more often. But if you lack damage to burst down Conquerors it might be worth using it.

4. Yes, juts add a Rage gem to Infernal cry setup (Or just make a new one with an attack skill) and you will be able to select it in Configuration.

Yes, you can PM me your Discord or hop on some live stream: https://www.twitch.tv/9v1d0
Last edited by 9v1d0 on Aug 3, 2020, 2:18:32 PM
Thanks for getting back to me. I will probably drop Formless inferno since the armor stacking is not that great. I may still keep Iron reflexes but not sure, it will stack with Devoto's Devotion.

I re-watched your stream at .3 speed it looks like shockwave was procing quite a bit.

I also saw this on the wiki and it got me thinking.
"
AOE attacks: Shockwaves will proc for each enemy hit by area of effect attacks, up to the stored uses available.

For example, when supporting Earthshatter, Shockwaves will proc for the initial hit, enemies hit by each fissure, and enemies hit by the shattering spikes, with each instance consuming a stored use.

also, more on Berserk. It consumes your rage to give you, More Damage, More Movement speed, more Atack speed, -19% less damage taken. its uptime should be about 8 seconds and it will be above and beyond what you had at the max rage. It also stacks if you stack total rage.

I would also say rage provides you with quite a bit of damage. for example, in town I have 14k DPS when I go to my hideout and am at 60 max rage I am over 22.5k DPS when I use berserk It pushes it up to 31.9K DPS. overall it seems like it is giving me over 50% more damage and another 50% for a short bit if I pop berserk. the question remains is the short 4-8 second burst of damage worth the loss of having to fully regen your rage. this also why I picked up Shaper node to get 40% inc rage regen and 1% life, Regen.

I also wanted to ask you how did you get your gloves with 4 implicit? craft them yourself using Vaal orbs? did you buy them, if so what how much will it cost?
Shockwave Math.

So I ran the numbers on Shockwave support on your build in POB.

you can see how many charges you have and how many are consumed on your character screen in-game for reference.

At most, it provides 480k-2.2mil damage vs running any other pure damage support It just does not quite add up because it does not get exerted by your warcries.

The only reason you might run it is for the extra AOE clear for when damage is not as a big deal and your not warcries are not up. with no warcries, it excels over any pure damage support except FOW obviously.

P.S I also was wondering how you get the reduced mana reservation amulet?
Last edited by sipress on Aug 5, 2020, 12:15:11 AM
"
sipress wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me. I will probably drop Formless inferno since the armor stacking is not that great. I may still keep Iron reflexes but not sure, it will stack with Devoto's Devotion.

I re-watched your stream at .3 speed it looks like shockwave was procing quite a bit.

I also saw this on the wiki and it got me thinking.
"
AOE attacks: Shockwaves will proc for each enemy hit by area of effect attacks, up to the stored uses available.

For example, when supporting Earthshatter, Shockwaves will proc for the initial hit, enemies hit by each fissure, and enemies hit by the shattering spikes, with each instance consuming a stored use.

also, more on Berserk. It consumes your rage to give you, More Damage, More Movement speed, more Atack speed, -19% less damage taken. its uptime should be about 8 seconds and it will be above and beyond what you had at the max rage. It also stacks if you stack total rage.

I would also say rage provides you with quite a bit of damage. for example, in town I have 14k DPS when I go to my hideout and am at 60 max rage I am over 22.5k DPS when I use berserk It pushes it up to 31.9K DPS. overall it seems like it is giving me over 50% more damage and another 50% for a short bit if I pop berserk. the question remains is the short 4-8 second burst of damage worth the loss of having to fully regen your rage. this also why I picked up Shaper node to get 40% inc rage regen and 1% life, Regen.

I also wanted to ask you how did you get your gloves with 4 implicit? craft them yourself using Vaal orbs? did you buy them, if so what how much will it cost?

Hey, using Berserk actually makes a lot of sense. I added it to the build guide. If you get a change to try it out let me know how it goes.

Here is a link where you can also buy multiple implicit gloves: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Harvest/EB05lpKT5
Hands of the High Templar Crusader Gloves are specific gloves that can be corrupted multiple times.
"
sipress wrote:
Shockwave Math.

So I ran the numbers on Shockwave support on your build in POB.

you can see how many charges you have and how many are consumed on your character screen in-game for reference.

At most, it provides 480k-2.2mil damage vs running any other pure damage support It just does not quite add up because it does not get exerted by your warcries.

The only reason you might run it is for the extra AOE clear for when damage is not as a big deal and your not warcries are not up. with no warcries, it excels over any pure damage support except FOW obviously.

P.S I also was wondering how you get the reduced mana reservation amulet?

Thank you for all the math. I will test the Shockwave more today and will let you know how it goes.

I crafted the amulet myself from scratch and I am planning to add a harvest-crafting section to the guide.
Hey, I'm looking at the amulet and trying to figure out how it was crafted (apologies if i missed it). It looks like alt spamming for anger reservation, blocking suffixes with chaos res and crafted res, and then remove/add fire + remove/add physical for the fire pen and phys as extra fire. Is this correct?
"
MikeMDC wrote:
Hey, I'm looking at the amulet and trying to figure out how it was crafted (apologies if i missed it). It looks like alt spamming for anger reservation, blocking suffixes with chaos res and crafted res, and then remove/add fire + remove/add physical for the fire pen and phys as extra fire. Is this correct?

Hello, MikeMDC. I just added a Harvest-crafting section to the guide. You can find how to craft the Amulet there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info