Community Racing Inaugural Race Day - May 23rd 7pm UTC - SSFHC Delirium

Great news ! Especially the short races are very valuable because rng is also an important factor, even if not the best "player" wins it makes it more intresting from my point of view.

That said, I love the format of lvl 80 races the most but the mixed shorter races are great too! Good opportunity for smarter racers to catch up :)

WTB Lootpet.
Just a gamer with passion to grind forever. No Excuses! :)
Major Flaw with Racing direction ever since it was stopped back in the day

and that is entry requirements such as:

previous racing experience
vouches
uploaded vods

These requirements stop the community from being able to realistically participate aswell as prohibiting the chance of any new racing talent from ever being developed for the future

Just think if todays requirements existed back then every top poe racer/streamer now would not be allowed to enter excluding a couple of the ole boys

Last edited by blaity2 on May 23, 2020, 6:02:42 PM
"
blaity2 wrote:
Major Flaw with Racing direction ever since it was stopped back in the day

and that is entry requirements such as:

previous racing experience
vouches
uploaded vods

These requirements stop the community from being able to realistically participate aswell as prohibiting the chance of any new racing talent from ever being developed for the future

Just think if todays requirements existed back then every top poe racer/streamer now would not be allowed to enter excluding a couple of the ole boys

The requirements were implemented because racing now has a cost with Private Leagues. A system needed to be created in order to keep costs low and competition high. That's just the reality now.

Racing strats and times have trimmed up so much in the last 16 months or so. The current qualification standard is honestly far more generous by comparison to what it used to be. We have had new racers emerge in the past few months.

Organizing and hosting an open event takes more than $500. Including production costs usually doubles that estimate. It is rare that we have someone who is generous enough to invest that amount of money into racing in one single race. We've had a lot of wonderful people give here and there to keep the scene going and we couldn't have done what we have so far without them.

Luckily Rex is that generous. I encourage you to sign up for the open-community race taking place next weekend.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2864338

Check me out on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/brittleknee
All of my builds are here: https://tinyurl.com/y5vwayk2
[/quote]

The requirements were implemented because racing now has a cost with Private Leagues. A system needed to be created in order to keep costs low and competition high. That's just the reality now.

[/quote]

I think you miss some potentialities for financing these races. The casting streamers earn money with subs and donations while the race is going. Why does this not flow back into the budget/pool? The self-promotion should be enough for this "work" in my opinion. Obviously all the casters gained popularity, followers and promotion out of it since it started..

Not only that, they could make open request for donations to finance these races together. I mean, there are thousands of viewers, many would join in with double-digit donations for sure (after a plausible request upfront, in the middle and at the end of the race).

Another way is just to crowdfund the privat races with points, or that every player that wants to paricipate has to bring the fee for his place. Every player can effort some GGG-points, but only the minority can achieve your requirements or wants to put the work of hours into the application (testing the races many times, edit a VOD, uploading, if they even have the channel for it on Youtube etc.).

I'm proud and applaud you for your initiative and work as an unoffical team for making races a thing again, don't get me wrong. But the current situation is nowhere near like it was..

Honestly, my interest for watching races has droped this year, despite of the efforts. This concept feels more and more the same and becomes stale. People wanna play this mode without the tedious and time-consuming preparation and can't get into it anymore. It's like watching movies with your old TV-stars, knowing that you aren't a part of it, a parallel reality.

And so it's just a matter of time that the spark dies off again, like TV did. Because it gets boring after a while, and most people already have the Twitch-races only in the backround-window while doing something else...
I've seen more than a handful of posts over the last year and a half with similar opinions, and this time I feel compelled to address it. There's some really dangerous logic embedded in what seems like straightforward suggestions. Humor me long enough to walk you through it.

"
bipola wrote:

I think you miss some potentialities for financing these races. The casting streamers earn money with subs and donations while the race is going. Why does this not flow back into the budget/pool? The self-promotion should be enough for this "work" in my opinion. Obviously all the casters gained popularity, followers and promotion out of it since it started..

Casters make fractions of what they're worth. Most of the time, for community events, they're casting these races for free as a gesture of good will and because they too are passionate about the scene. Sometimes there's a budget to pay them, most of the time there isn't. It would be insane to then expect them to kick back what they do get for investing their time and allowing us to use their platforms. We also don't have any right whatsoever to tell anyone what to do with their money. Period. We don't know their individual monetary situations and they certainly don't owe us any explanations. Exposure doesn't pay mortgages, student loans, or light bills.

"
bipola wrote:

Not only that, they could make open request for donations to finance these races together. I mean, there are thousands of viewers, many would join in with double-digit donations for sure (after a plausible request upfront, in the middle and at the end of the race).

We're not in the business of making casters plug anything. There has always been prize pool links for individuals to support the community racing scene and pitch in on a race by race basis when the prizes aren't pre-created MTX or something like the ExileCon Ticket. There's nothing but headaches involved in creating a public trust for racing funds, all the way down to who manages it, who gets what % of funds for their races, all while maintaining transparency to the public. Allowing individual voluntary contributions is the only model we're interested in using.

"
bipola wrote:

Another way is just to crowdfund the privat races with points, or that every player that wants to paricipate has to bring the fee for his place. Every player can effort some GGG-points, but only the minority can achieve your requirements or wants to put the work of hours into the application (testing the races many times, edit a VOD, uploading, if they even have the channel for it on Youtube etc.).

You're replacing one qualification for another and assuming a lot about the general financial situation of the world. Rather than construct races of players who are dedicated enough to practice, races would simply be for those who could afford participating. The simple truth is there are multiple resources out there to improve your early story progression to qualification standards. It just takes time, discipline, and effort. However, due to currency conversion rates, taxes, etc, there's plenty of actually reasonable arguments for why it's downright prohibitive to have a pay-to-play model for racing.

"
bipola wrote:

And so it's just a matter of time that the spark dies off again.

You're correct. The current private league system is immensely prohibitive to creativity. Without any further development and updates to the private league system from GGG, we are working with borrowed time.

Of course the TL;DR of all of this is: we're running the races in this manner because its a formula that works for us and can be sustained at this time. We will try to host open-community events when we can, but they are very, very expensive. There's no restriction or organizing, creating and hosting races. If you'd like to see more open races, then grab up a bunch of folks who feel similarly and see what you can accomplish together.
Last edited by brittleknee on May 24, 2020, 3:21:20 PM
Hi, i was interested in join the race thats gonna happen on the 30th
How do i apply for that one?
"
HappyUnicor wrote:
Hi, i was interested in join the race thats gonna happen on the 30th
How do i apply for that one?

Here's all the info: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2864338
honestly don't understand the complaints about entry standards.

if you are interested in racing just practice and learn, there's no barrier to that. plenty of resources available on youtube about racing basics, and you can create a SSF character at any time and do runs.

it's like saying the olympics for running the 100m has qualifiers therefore running the 100m as an activity has steep barrier to entry. just try running LUL. you can practice on your own time at any time and be engaged that way, and when you get good enough qualify for one of the steamed events.

it's fine to treat racing as more of a spectator oriented event as most people are fine with being the peanut gallery and consume the content that way. engaging with trolls is a waste of time.
Last edited by awayish on May 27, 2020, 9:11:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info