(Retired Thread) Wallach's Hierophant Freezing Pulse Totems

I like this build, but I still seem a little behind the monsters on life. I clear most mobs without dying much, but I die multiple times for every boss. I'm currency poor and haven't managed any of the special gear. I started late this league and it seems there are less people trading. I get few responses. I ended up trading Frenzy for Vaal Arc as it doesn't put me in with the monsters where I die, and Arc seems to love shattering frozen mobs as well as barrels and crates.

This is my fourth league. I still suck. I don't suppose somebody want's to write a Dummy's guide to fast starts. I know there are people on day one who rush through everything make God-like characters, delve past 100, etc. During Delve League, a couple people were deep delving while I was still getting my ass handed to me in the early Acts. I want to know how they do i, so I could actually survive a visit to the Arena. It also seems impossible to do worthwhile crafting (sockets and colors) until somewhere in maps. If you have any answers to these matters before next league, I'll be happy to hear about them.

I only just learned/realized this league what full sets were and have tried to collect and sell them for currency, but only just started finding stuff above level 60. There is so much to understand to play this game.

BTW, has anybody seen my pants?

Thanks again for sharing your build.
JimRPH - Go to your profile and make your characters public so we can see what you're currently doing. I bet there are a ton of inefficiencies that have added up.
IGN: Dmillz
Wallach, another good node that you didn't mention for the Oils would be Disciple of the Slaughter. It's probably the best DPS node but will also probably be more expensive since it's very generic.
IGN: Dmillz
how is the survivability on this? debating using it for HC since i want to try out totems again. think it could be super OP for tower defense
"
Dmillz wrote:
Wallach, another good node that you didn't mention for the Oils would be Disciple of the Slaughter. It's probably the best DPS node but will also probably be more expensive since it's very generic.

Yeah that is an interesting idea.

I jumped online to test this node out, and it seems to behave a little oddly with Freezing Pulse totems. I would go an entire map without generating a single charge, or I would sometimes gain 2 charges immediately and go to 3 when it did proc. I'm not sure it is working correctly to be honest.

However, the function of granting +1 minimum Frenzy charges does work, and just having that makes it competitive with our other best DPS options (though slightly worse than the top 3 by around half a percent usually). I still would consider it if it isn't super expensive though just because it grants a bit of movement speed where the other node options are just damage. The question will likely come down to cost, as you mentioned, but aside from that it is worth mentioning in the top tier of DPS node choices.

"
jonke wrote:
how is the survivability on this? debating using it for HC since i want to try out totems again. think it could be super OP for tower defense

I had 2 deaths on the way to level 100 that were pretty much unavoidable (server hiccups paired with Legion rares). You don't have great physical mitigation but Freeze is a better active defense than mitigation in a lot of cases. Very few enemies in this game cannot be frozen. You still have decent eHP overall so you should have enough to take a decent size hit and Flame Dash / recover from the situation. You will get checked if you try to be really overaggressive in content relative to your gear just because you'll never have good physical mitigation, but I played the build pretty aggressively and didn't have much of an issue. You have a lot of unnecessary damage you could peel out of the build to get more eHP for HC purposes too.
Last edited by Wallach on Aug 25, 2019, 6:24:53 PM
I really like the level of detail of this build and the fact the build creator actually made it to lvl 100 and 40/40 challenges with it. I think I will try it the next league since at some points it's pretty similar to what I played this league. (I might even try increase my apm this time and use the curse and frost bomb.)
I think Flame Dash is fast enough so I will probably add the lightning golem gem there, instead of the Faster Casting.
Last edited by RO_MrGummy on Aug 26, 2019, 5:03:14 AM
Yeah flame dash is now instant for the first cast, no need for faster casting there. Flame dash -> place totem and move a step or two -> flame dash makes them both instant.
I just want MTX totem can apply on chest and this is the best Build i ever played ! :)
"
Wallach wrote:
I've tried to make the guide as comprehensive as possible for that very reason (and I plan to try and improve it further with the 3.8 update).

Your guide is easily one of the best on these forums. And I can't say enough good things about this build.
Definitely looking forward to playing it again in 3.8, it may be my league starter or I might take a speedier clearspeed glass cannon build up to maps for some quick and easy leveling gear for my Heiro.
What am I thinking, I"m starting with this build!
this is it. ill start next league with this build. i hope you update it for 3.8 asap.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info