[Retired Thread] Wallach's Hierophant Holy Flame Totems (Old)

"
Curious: Why are you using Freezing Pulse if Holy Flame Totems are any good? ( you seem to not be playing with the set up in your guide)

I was about to ask, as a guildie of mine runs freezing pulse hiero and he clears 5 way timeless very easily (i am ED trickster).

Was looking into what to roll for the next char and I came across this post.
discord id: dejuvenate#5828
Guides
[3.13 Ritual] Flameslinger - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3009295
[3.5 Betrayal] Brutus AW Chieftain - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2320224
[3.4 Delve] Toxic Rain - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2207700
"
dejuvenate wrote:
"
Curious: Why are you using Freezing Pulse if Holy Flame Totems are any good? ( you seem to not be playing with the set up in your guide)

I was about to ask, as a guildie of mine runs freezing pulse hiero and he clears 5 way timeless very easily (i am ED trickster).

Was looking into what to roll for the next char and I came across this post.

ikr? lol now I really wanna know. Both seem good. HFT is better if I had to guess?? but don't know, and he doesn't seem to be using it for...reasons?

edit: also, why use Combustion with ele focus? That's...not gonna work well. Can't ignite.
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Jun 26, 2019, 8:52:45 AM
He actually answered that a page back, combustion %firedamage & -%fire res amounts to more damage if you have a certain amount of phys to fire conversion on gear.

I have 2 questions myself:
RN Im using Nycta's Lantern as a pseudo 5l for HFL lacking another 5/6l to use.
Are there better options (outside of tabby?) ? 4l + decent rare wep?

also would it be worth to run a soul mantle (ignoring the spell totem support) & 2x kikazaru build with the inc damage per curse jewel (ssf btw) compared to the guide setup?

Having fun with the build so far, kind regards :>

Edit: Ok, I read the OP page, and I see in POB Combustion is more damage regardless of not igniting for fire pen. I hate to be "one of those" that don't read and then ask dumb questions :P

Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Jun 26, 2019, 11:32:47 AM
"
Askallad wrote:
He actually answered that a page back, combustion %firedamage & -%fire res amounts to more damage if you have a certain amount of phys to fire conversion on gear.

also would it be worth to run a soul mantle (ignoring the spell totem support) & 2x kikazaru build with the inc damage per curse jewel (ssf btw) compared to the guide setup?

I can answer this. Until you 5link nothing is going to beat the lantern. You can use it all the way up through 60 if you like and do great damage.

I would be curious if any of the changes Wallach made to the support gem link setups would carry over to this build, namely steelskin over immortal call, and is there a damage setup we could use similar to the cold snap/bonechill combo he uses there.
Last edited by kuromahou on Jun 26, 2019, 1:49:30 PM
"
kuromahou wrote:
"
Askallad wrote:

I can answer this. Until you 5link nothing is going to beat the lantern. You can use it all the way up through 60 if you like and do great damage.

I would be curious if any of the changes Wallach made to the support gem link setups would carry over to this build, namely steelskin over immortal call, and is there a damage setup we could use similar to the cold snap/bonechill combo he uses there.

I wasn't asking about the Lantern? Anyways, question retracted :P
"

I actually league started as Holy Flame Totem in Legion and played it all the way up to 96. It got me my first Uber Elder kill of the league at the end of the first week. Since I played Holy Flame Totem to 99 in Synthesis and knew the build wasn't going to be quite as strong as it was that league, I decided to make a second character instead of going any further than that.

This guide was created last league for Synthesis when Holy Flame Totem was a brand new skill, and I wanted folks to have a guide for utilizing it. It also wound up that Synthesis introduced some very powerful rings that were very powerful for any phys -> fire conversion spells like Holy Flame Totem, so it was able to take in more currency investment to return build scaling last patch.

I haven't really made a secret of the fact that if I had to recommend only one of my two totem builds for Legion league, it would be Freezing Pulse. This is still a very strong build however and I think is slightly better suited for league starting, so I don't see any reason to stop updating or retire the build guide.

"
kuromahou wrote:

I think I probably will make a couple recommendation changes actually and suggest Steelskin over Immortal Call after my testing of it, as well as shifting a couple points around as mentioned on the previous page (trading Melding for slightly more raw life & chaos resistance from our existing life wheels).

As far as a damage setup like Cold Snap, I can't really think of one. The closest thing would probably be to run a 3-link trap setup for Wave of Conviction (to get around Ancestral Bond), but I personally find it clunky and don't like recommending anything I wouldn't run for myself. You can give it a try and see if you find it more tolerable for boss fights to get access to Fire Exposure.
so....do I need to regret buying
( was going to replace the armour /life with life/mana %)?

I thought this was going to be suitable for legion. pretty sick of melee that's for sure. I think GGG is trolling us ( melee improvements with a league mechanic that encourages mass aoe...)

Will this do well with Legion? I'm very sick and tired of regretting going left instead of right, and the idea of doing 5 armies being unrealistic.
"
so....do I need to regret buying
( was going to replace the armour /life with life/mana %)?

I thought this was going to be suitable for legion. pretty sick of melee that's for sure. I think GGG is trolling us ( melee improvements with a league mechanic that encourages mass aoe...)

Will this do well with Legion? I'm very sick and tired of regretting going left instead of right, and the idea of doing 5 armies being unrealistic.

I guess it depends on what you're really looking for here. If you are just looking for which of my two builds I think winds up more powerful with more investment, then sell that armor for whatever you paid for it and switch over to a Freezing Pulse totem setup. Just be aware that it took significantly more currency investment to get Freezing Pulse where I have my character at right now; I have at least 50ex invested in that character.

That said, there are certainly builds more powerful than either of mine too, especially if you're particularly focused on one piece of content like 5-army Domain. On some level I feel like you're asking me a question you are the one meant to answer. I'm not sure I can provide a clearer picture beyond the Path of Building loadout and videos I've recorded of this build doing this league's content.
A reasonable answer. I like it so far ( lvl 54) and it will only be even better when I equip shield, chest and hat with enchant...

Knowing there's something better then what I am currently doing always grinds my gears and makes me reroll though :P. I hope it makes me happy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info