General Gem Discussion

"
CommodoX wrote:
Cleave compared to Groundslam / Sweep is so bad ....
GS/Sweep works with maces, so you can perma-stun most enemies with some passive skills and Sweep does 360° damage and Groundslam is a ranged attack with meele weapons.

With cleave, I have only a 120°? degree damage radius and can't stun and I have to meele = less survability.
Where's the reason to take Cleave at all? Mostly everybody in the marauder forum takes 2h-mace with Sweep + Groundslam for that reasons.

cleave is for duel wielders. it adds both weapons together instead of alternating weapons.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
cleave is for duel wielders. it adds both weapons together instead of alternating weapons.

And which AOE-skill do I use with 2Hand-axes and swords????
Make
Spectral Throw
great again
Last edited by CommodoX on Jan 26, 2013, 12:09:39 PM
Cleave, Leap Slam.

"With cleave, I have only a 120°? degree damage radius and can't stun and I have to meele = less survability."
Cleave can Stun, just like every other attack...
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Cleave can Stun, just like every other attack...

Yes, I described it bad. 2h-maces have "reduced stun threshold", so they're better for stunning then axes.

And Cleave compared to Sweep looses due to only 1/3 of attack angel.
And Cleave compared to Ground Slam looses due to directly melee VS. ranged melee = less survability.
Make
Spectral Throw
great again
Sweep has a fixed speed, and as such is slower than Cleave if you have a weapon with a good base attack speed.
Skill Gems .. and Stat Thresholds.

I'm able to find the stats necessary for level 65+ armor and weapons, but I have not been able to determine what stats are required for high level gems.

For Example:
With my bow based ranger, I need 212 Dex for the a Harbinger bow.
I need 95 Strength for Triumphant Lamellar, or 191 Strength for the Glorious Plate.

But I can't find the baseline for things like the support skill "chain" and I certainly don't have enough data points to know if Stat requirements for gems are linear or exponential.

Playing with numbers on the passive tree, I can get a marauder above 500 strength. I suspect this may be excessive for top level gems.

Anyone have have some range guidelines?

Thanks,
Nodor
"
CommodoX wrote:
With cleave, I have only a 120°? degree
180°
"
CommodoX wrote:
and can't stun
Cleave can stun, just like any damage
"
CommodoX wrote:
and I have to meele = less survability.
Cleave, like sweep, has an AoE radius noticeably longer than melee range.
Cleave has it's place, but we're constantly observing and tweaking balance on these skills.
EDIT: Found the answer.
Last edited by Bulk_ on Jan 27, 2013, 8:15:42 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Cleave has it's place

Then please describe this place and the role it plays better than Sweep or Ground Slam.
Make
Spectral Throw
great again
Role it plays better than Sweep: can be used with one-handed weapons.

Role it plays better than Ground Slam: can be used with swords and axes.

Role it plays better than both: can be used while dual wielding to strike with both weapons.

Tadaaaa.

On a personal level, I can't stand Ground Slam's AoE shape. I have to constantly reposition myself to properly hit mobs with it, while with Cleave I just hack away. So it also offers a nice alternative in that regard.
Last edited by Exxar on Jan 28, 2013, 3:34:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info