Winter Orb

Winter orb feels horrible

Needs the frequency added back and remove the more frequency while channeling

Please...
Buff this skill... its terrible bad right now.
It's been many months since the last post here on good ol' Winter Orb. Self-curse has been changed, yet Winter Orb is still in a pretty terrible spot. With the Forbidden Shako helmet it because a pretty viable skill, but that's a very difficult-to-obtain item. The duration was nerfed (assumingly due to self-curse) but has not been reverted with the changes to self-curse, causing the skill to feel terrible until you've acquired vast amounts of either cast speed, skill effect duration, or preferably both.

My suggestion is a small one, and it's to buff the duration of Winter Orb's buff timer. At the start of a map you channel up to max stacks then run around, repeatedly right-clicking to keep your stacks up. Even with max duration this would not change, but having to click less would be an absolute godsend. Such a buff would also make bossing more forgiving, helping the skill with something that's known as one of its major weaknesses. After moving around, your damage is pitiful until you're back at maximum stacks, so allowing players to reach that quicker due to less buff dropoff would be lovely.

It will also make leveling as the skill feel much smoother, and I really just can not see a downside to having more enjoyment with your favorite skill sooner rather than later.

It's truthfully a little painful to see how barren the skill gem feedback forums are(I didn't know they existed until about 15 minutes ago), but I'm really hoping someone sees this that can help this poor little skillgem out. Thank you. <3

Edit: More damage tasty too ty, cold hit skills in a really meh spot at the time of this reply. Playable but definitely not considered good by any means.
Last edited by Tevsu on Nov 10, 2021, 2:46:33 AM
First time using Winter Orb. I am not impressed. My major problems with this skill.

1. Buff stack expires way too quick. I thought once I reached 10 stack, I can maintain that 10 stack as long as I channel before the 6 second duration expires. However, that's not the case. If I am kiting away from bosses, my stack keeps losing.

2. VERY HARD to aim if there are many monsters around me. This is my biggest problem with this skill. I am using Lesser Multiple Projectile but if there are two bosses, the projectiles just randomly choose target sometimes. I want at least one projectile goes to where I click and the rest of the projectiles can home different targets.

3. Winter Orb can be easily blocked by obstacles/tight corners.

4. Homing range is way too short IMO. I can't even hit at the edge of the screen.

5. If I use Greater Multiple Projectile, all of them all aim at the similar direction. I think it defeats the purpose of this Orb. Each of them should find targets in different directions if there are several targets on the screen. If I stand in the center and I am surrounded by monsters at each side, I expect Orbs to find targets at all direction and not just towards one direction.

Please, please, please make Orb home the target I am clicking. Make the 10 stack last longer.
Last edited by chinesefoodverygood on Feb 8, 2022, 9:39:40 AM
This skill used to be one of my favorite skills in the game (way back when).

Nowadays it feels horrible and weak.
When the character gets bigger, for example when you have headhunter buffs, Winter Orb is not above the character's head anymore, it's like inside the character and it looks weird.
Is it intended for the projectile frequency to only scale off increase and reductions to cast speed? More or less cast speed does nothing to projectile frequency. I was putting together a fanaticism winter orb build, but the more cast speed from fanaticism doesn't scale projectile frequency. That could be a cool way to build winter orb besides occultist.
Last edited by DirtyBandaid on Feb 20, 2023, 5:35:51 PM
I know WOrb is nerfed because of a distinctly powerful mechanic and the overly popular in mainstream. But is it alright to bury such a great skill like this?

I could see a potential of this skill, but it could use some help for at least the very basic things like maintaining stacks and base duration.

I'm not sure about the damage since I never really look into this skill. But it's a sad thing that once a glorious skill like this got buried and never again make it back.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info